Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There is a shooting in Cumbia going on now

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One person confirmed dead and people told to stay indoors!!!

matt

Mar 19, 2007
From The Times:
Several people have been shot dead and many more injured in a series of shootings from a moving car in the Whitehaven area of Cumbria.
Police said they were dealing with “a number of fatalities” along a 15-mile stretch of the Cumbrian coast, and a police source told The Times: “It appears that he is driving along shooting at people.”
Police said they are looking for Derrick Bird, 52, of Rowrah near Frizington.
Cumbria Police said in a statement: “Police are asking if members of the public see Derrick Bird, or his vehicle to contact them immediately on 999. Do not approach him.
“He was last seen heading south in the Central Lakes direction. He may have abandoned the car and be proceeding on foot. Armed police are currently working to apprehend him and advising members of the public in West and Central Lakes areas to go indoors and stay there until further notice.”

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
kin ell

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:ohmy:

Easy to get blasé about these things when you see them happening in the US on a fairly regular basis. Quite shocking when it happens here.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A number of people are confirmed dead and several injured in a shooting in Cumbria.

Police are hunting Derrick Bird, 52, following the incident in Duke Street, Whitehaven.

A Cumbria Police spokesman said: "We can confirm that a number of people have been injured after shots were fired in the Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont areas this morning.

"There are a number of fatalities and police are working to identify the individuals and inform relatives. Ambulance crews are in attendance across the area.

Bird, of Rowrah near Frizington, is believed to be driving a dark grey/silver Citreon Picasso, registration ND55 ZFC.

Anyone who sees him or his vehicle should call 999 and should not approach him.

He was last seen heading south in the Central Lakes direction, police said. He may have abandoned the car and be travelling on foot.

Witness Alan Hannah described how he fled out of Whitehaven after he saw the gunman leaning out of a car window.

"I was waiting at a red light and looked around the corner. I saw a man with a shotgun at the windown which had been shattered.

"It looked like quite a big shotgun. I just went through the red light and got the hell out of Whitehaven."

Members of the public in the area have been asked to stay indoors until further notice while officers work to apprehend the man, Cumbria Police said.

The force said in a statement: "Police working to apprehend a man in connection with shots fired in Whitehaven have extended their search to the Seascale area so we are urging all members of the public in the Seascale are to go indoors and stay there until further notice.

"Anyone in the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass are also being urged to shelter."

A Copeland Borough Council spokesman said all council buildings had been "locked-down".

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How awful. Have to say, having been to Whitehaven a couple of times, it doesn't surprise me greatly. It's a real hole of a place.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They're saying he might have switched cars now. An absolute nightmare trying to catch up with someone when you don't know what you're looking for. Whitehaven might be a dump but the Lakeland villages of Ambleside and Coniston most definitely aren't. Imagine the panic in the area :(

Given that this bloke is evidently known, it sounds like a suicide-by-cop attempt to me.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I presume they will be able to work out a motive whether they catch him dead or alive. Oh dear :(

i dont think this fella will see the day out. some lucky copper out there is going to get a few months sick leave after today too.

f***ing horrible whats unfolding.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i dont think this fella will see the day out. some lucky copper out there is going to get a few months sick leave after today too.

f***ing horrible whats unfolding.

or unlucky!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
:ohmy:

Easy to get blasé about these things when you see them happening in the US on a fairly regular basis. Quite shocking when it happens here.

Well it is. I was working in Tottenham about 5 years ago when a crazed man was running around stabbing people one morning about 9am. It was literally happening in the streets around the office I was in. He stabbed one bloke in his car, while he was waiting at lights. Just ran up to him and stabbed him in the chest and ran off. All completely random, and it was a bit worrying. He was on the loose for a couple of hours before they got the fella.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They're saying he might have switched cars now. An absolute nightmare trying to catch up with someone when you don't know what you're looking for. Whitehaven might be a dump but the Lakeland villages of Ambleside and Coniston most definitely aren't. Imagine the panic in the area :(

Given that this bloke is evidently known, it sounds like a suicide-by-cop attempt to me.

Indeed... and I probably should've read the article before commenting. Fair play to the police involved, I certainly wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Thats not how it works. And it's not "lucky" at all, whatever your training, the decision to pull the trigger on a member of the public is one of the hardest you'll ever make. Trust me.

Logistically its a nightmare location to search as its such a rural location, with fewer people about, few cameras, lots of easy places to hide etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here