Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There is a lot of Blasphemy on NSC today is it really necessary?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
No, and neither was my rudeness to you the other day, I apologise for that.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why mention it today ? Just because it's Good Friday ? Actually there's rarely much need for profanity or blasphemy. I think the real irony are the number of people who blaspheme
but who are in fact atheists. BTW, did you know that use of the words 'Bloody' and 'Bleeding' are blasphemous ? They refer to Christ's blood. (I love telling 'Good' Christians that when they use those words).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Blasphemy, like profanity, is often a sign of a limited vocabulary. Therefore, in response to your question, "is it necessary?", the answer would appear to be "no".

However, I have never understood how on Earth people can be offended by what are simply words. The fact that they are words relating to invisible men frequenting clouds should not make them any more offensive.

So a new question for you all. Why is everybody so easily offended these days?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Are you confusing blasphemy with atheism and agnosticism? I admit I may have blasphemed last night with the odd "Jeesus Christ" after yet another bizarre refereeing decision, although whether as an atheist I can blaspheme is another matter.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Why mention it today ? Just because it's Good Friday ? Actually there's rarely much need for profanity or blasphemy. I think the real irony are the number of people who blaspheme
but who are in fact atheists. BTW, did you know that use of the words 'Bloody' and 'Bleeding' are blasphemous ? They refer to Christ's blood. (I love telling 'Good' Christians that when they use those words).

You'll be telling us that "f***" is blasphemous next cos that's what Mary had 9 months before Jesus was born

Oh wait a cotton picking minute ...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BTW, did you know that use of the words 'Bloody' and 'Bleeding' are blasphemous ? They refer to Christ's blood.
No it isn't. To say that someone is bleeding does not refer to Christ's blood and it doesn't matter where the word originated.

Blasphemy, like profanity, is often a sign of a limited vocabulary.
Profanity is often not a sign of limited vocabulary. The brightest people still swear. Stephen Fry was discussing this on QI not long ago, giving his point of view that swearing isn't a sign of limited vocabulary.
Therefore, in response to your question, "is it necessary?", the answer would appear to be "no".
The use of uncommon long words isn't always necessary, but like swearing, they can add something to a sentance to make it more interesting.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You'll note I said "often" a sign of limited vocabulary. Not always.

A prick in the hands of Pinter is pure gold.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
You'll note I said "often" a sign of limited vocabulary. Not always.

A prick in the hands of Pinter is pure gold.

I love a bit of Derek and Clive but I mean, I'm not going to go: "f***ing 'ELL!! Shit! Tit! Bum! Arsehole!", because I don't need to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I fully expect new thread from HB&B bragging about how he was walking down the road, saw into someone's house and they were posting blashemy on NSC so broke in and kicked the computer...

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Oh my god, your right.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There are just four certainties in life:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard is less a work of fiction than The Bible
4. Tim is a violent cvnt

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Certainly the quite cruel mocking of other people's belief systems on here seems not very nice at times. Seems a bit harsh and unnecessary to me. However, not sure if anything could - or more importantly should - be done about it. NSC is what it is. And the same debate is going on elsewhere and always will be. Personally I find the whole Jesus thing about as plausible as the seventy or so virgins thing promised to Muslim suicide bombers. I'm sure each belief system is equally valid... :shrug:

Last edited:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
We live in a godless city, what's the problem?

Just like I am proud that my home town is an open and tolerant place I also take pride in the fact that a lot of sensible and right thinking people call Brighton home.

At the end of the day there aren't too many god bothering types in the area (when compared with other parts of the country) and this is largely due to the fact that we have a well educated local population.

It is no coincidence that the countries where religious beliefs are most widespread are usually those where the quality of life is far inferior to our own (in South America, Africa, the Middle East and many Pacific island states).

A well educated population is a largely godless population.

I agree there's no need to be offensive about another person's religion for the sake of being offensive BUT there are all too many instances of those with beliefs preaching their views at people who don't want to hear them and this is what winds people up.

If you believe in an almighty power, feel free, but don't get all precious when somebody makes jokes about religion because essentially it is pretty ignorant to wilfully ignore documented scientific fact in favour of a greater power

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here