Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst violence you have witnessed at a Brighton game ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
picking out one incident,anyone remember a night game at the goldstone v reading 76ish,the talk was of a load of reading coming down but never materialized

anyway during that game there was a very ugly incident in the south stand,no more than a handful of people involved,the rumour at the time was that this bloke was pompey

he really did get a going over,terrible eye injury,anyone throw light on this one

rudeboy

Sep 17, 2008
late eighties for very naughty stuff was oldham up there once. then down here when they filled the queens head up, only 30 bton turned out that day.my god they took liberties that day. still speak to the latic lad to this day.there was always an on going thingy with them in those days.

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
130 arrested (90 friday night) spurs fans locked in subway bottom of west street overnight:lol: 1 spurs fan stabbed,north stand taken, fans on pitch,south stand intact.:hilton:
Christ to get that many arrests back then is unreal,can't see this ever being beaten again.

Must of been like many said a war zone:)

Feb 14, 2010
I didnt see the Spurs incident but in no order where Brighton have played up very badly both inside and outside the ground :-
Away : Palace, Hereford, Pompey, Chesterfield, Oxford, Fulham, Southend, Aldershot,West Ham, Orient, Brentford, Bournemouth, Gillingham, Luton,Peterborough,QPR
Trouble on the same scale and worse as the incidents away that I have seen at the Goldstone:-
Leeds, Chelsea, West Ham, Pompey, Palace. Other incidents at home would be with Fulham, Oxford, Shef United, Cardiff, Arsenal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Does anyone remember the game vs Bournemouth during the archer troubles. We were televised on meridian and were genarally chanting all sorts of anti archer stuff. To our right, the Bournemouth fans started singing We love archer...and a few brighton fans jumped over the fence and ran at their stand to whit the stand emptied down the other end and more brighton fans got brave and charged into the stand.....can't exactly say that helped our cause with meridian as I seem to remember all they did was say how we were all violent yobs

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In a rating system when the Egyptian match rates 99, the Spurs game rates about 10, the Chelsea game 5, a night out in Portsmouth 2 and any game against Millwall at 1.

Your bonus quiz question, when Afghanistan played their only international football match in England, at what ground did they play?

When Rangers played in Spain they rounded up all the stupid ones and put them on a plane and sent them all back home. They could get a train of cattle wagons in at Falmer station?

Feb 14, 2010
Does anyone remember the game vs Bournemouth during the archer troubles. We were televised on meridian and were genarally chanting all sorts of anti archer stuff. To our right, the Bournemouth fans started singing We love archer...and a few brighton fans jumped over the fence and ran at their stand to whit the stand emptied down the other end and more brighton fans got brave and charged into the stand.....can't exactly say that helped our cause with meridian as I seem to remember all they did was say how we were all violent yobs

Yes I do, which makes me roll my eyes when some people try and take the moral high ground over Millwall or Leeds. I also remember carnage all day at Chesterfield, palace and cars overturned by Brighton fans at Pompey.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember somebody threw a couple of chips in anger at Withdean in M block against Tranmere a few years back....

I remember that. About 20 people overcome by the vinegar fumes. Well nasty.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Last season at the Goldstone vs Cardiff City was quite lively,stood on the SW terrace and noted some faces that were not normally there.

Having came out of Hove park and behind the Northstand to head toward the West stand (was on my own at this stage having gone straight from work) and about 250 Cardiff came round the corner,hurling abuse at the back of the North Stand,i though to myself here we go then,Cardiff must have had 1500 plus in a 9000 gate and after the game i was in Hove park and there were running battles(200 plus per side)back and forth,police in the middle, for at least half an hour-that was one of the worst perhaps at the ground(Arsenal 1988 & a Friday friendly vs Palace had incidents) in terms of numbers involved,although i have seen plenty in(namely Leeds,Westham,Wolves and Blackpool back in the late 80's early 90's) town.

My abiding memory of the day was when a Cardiff fan got of a coach to have a go,only to get off the coach as separate group of about 50(probably the lot that stood near me on the SW as the came from that direction) or so Brighton,no colours,came charging over-he was promptly decked!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry miss read the thread,thought it was Goldstone only.....

Jan 30, 2008
Most violent = West Ham at a Service Station in the late 70's because they had weapons. Most intimidating = Spurs away in 78. Most charging about = Bury away 77ish. Many games were called off. Bolton, Man City and Hastings Cockney Reds turned up and you could walk round the ground. Hastings joined Brighton and chased Bury out of the stand.
nice one !

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Christ to get that many arrests back then is unreal,can't see this ever being beaten again.

Must of been like many said a war zone:)

400 police on duty as well

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Including being knifed (my coat was badly ripped) at Selhurst Park, my worst experience was biting into a burger at Fellows Park, Walsall. My fault entirely though. Even the hostile very Walsall supporters warned me. They were right!

Jan 30, 2008
i wasn't going in the 70's/80's but i'd say since i've been going the worst away were Chesterfield,Plymouth and Grimsby. also Shrewsbury, Luton, Peterborough, QPR, Oxford and Lincoln were lively.

more recently Southend, Swindon and Villa had decent mobs.

home cardiff, sheff utd, pompy and forest.
Villa ? you must of been in that pub ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here