Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Who at the Amex?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I was in a boozer in Hassocks once when The Who were playing downstairs. People came out saying they weren't very good so I went for a curry at the Taj Mahal in Ship Street instead.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
I was in a boozer in Hassocks once when The Who were playing downstairs. People came out saying they weren't very good so I went for a curry at the Taj Mahal in Ship Street instead.

Presumably the Ultra Club at the Downs Hotel in Keymer ?? . One of Mid Sussex's forgotten venues - did you see any other bands there ? .

This may be of interest - From The Brighton Beat site
Fun Stuff Page 6 Photo 4

The closure of the Kicking Donkey was a tragic loss for the beer (and cider) drinkers of Sussex. A pub like no other. And, yes, it was possible to sit in there, enjoying a conversation with Mr Daltrey, as I can vouch. They used to grow hops in the field over the road.

...And I was in the pub one Sunday evening with my mum and dad, early '80's. and the elderly landlord (Nelson??) started to play tunes on an equally elderly electric organ to the delight of the locals! Pub long closed I believe.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Many youngsters now associate The Who with the theme tunes for CSI : Las Vegas , CSI : Miami and CSI : New York

My daughter 'discovered' The Who precisely because of this. She is very excited that they might be playing at the Amex.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So did I. I took my father with me who first started seeing The Who when they used to play at The Florida Rooms as The High Numbers back in the '60s. Anyone else remember this?

They first started playing as The Who then changed to The High Numbers only for a couple of months then went BACK to The Who, not many will have seen them first in those 2 months over their 50 year career

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I dont recall him mentioning this but I can ask him. I recall he used to hang out in the back room of The Bath Arms and there was a cafe in The Lanes called The Lorelei. Do these mean anything to you?

The Bath Arms back room had a Table Tennis table, a pinball machine & a bar Billiards table & ancient lino on the floor AND would serve lager to 15 year olds (with my older mates).. Wonderful place

Classic. McVicar?
My cousin played the flute on Daltrey's McVicar album. For what it's worth, he lived in Saltdean. And Dave Mattacks, one of the drummers on McVicar, played with Fairport Convention and the Albion Band's Ashley Hutchings ... who once lived between Etchingham and Burwash. Mattacks used to live in Haywards Heath.

It's a small world.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Be Lucky...

It's what Mr Daltrey used to say to us after we'd filled his car up with petrol. Always.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Can't wait if true.

I notice Who's Who (tribute band) on facebook posted a story that the Who may well be announcing a UK stadium tour this week and performing at the Amex.
They lifted the photo of the programme feature from Saturdays game.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
June 8th Dublin: The O2
June 10th Belfast: Odyssey
June 12th Glasgow: SECC
June 15th London: The O2
June 18th Sheffield: Motorpoint Arena
June 20th Newcastle: Metro Arena
June 23rd Manchester: Arena
June 25th Cardiff: Motorpoint Arena
June 28th Birmingham: LG Arena
June 30th Liverpool: Echo Arena
July 3rd Paris: Bercy
July 5th Amsterdam: Ziggo Dome

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Since we arrived at the Amex, the fans have been shouting for this pretty much every home game, typically 2 or 3 times, mainly in the 2nd half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here