Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The White Admiral Bevendean

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
This pub suffered in the floods of October 2000 and is currently closed and awaiting demolition before the developers move in to build flats or whatever.

Urban Myth?

I'd heard that it was used to film some episodes of Only Fools and Horses and therefore was the Nag's Head. Yeah, yeah yeah........

Well here it is:

http://www.trotters-independent-traders.co.uk/pictures/realworld.htm

Mother Nature's Son - Series 7

This episode is where the Trotters discover a so called Peckham Spring. The Nags Head is seen a few times in this episode.

http://www.trotters-independent-traders.co.uk/pictures/real/tnagsreal.jpg

TAUNTON ROAD, LOWER BEVENDEAN, BRIGHTON
This old pub called the White Admiral in Taunton Road Lower Bevendean- Brighton was used as the Nags Head in Mother Natures Son.

I thought it was the white admiral too. I can confirm that Russell White, son of Chris White (formally of Crossroads) was in my class at school and hid godfather is no other than David Jason. They lived at the top end of Bevendean at the time, hence the link.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I may even go as far as to say the Admiral made the Hikers look like a tea room!

Really,that would be one to avoid then! I had the pleasure of living in Coldean for 20 years, bottom end of Rushlake Road, and it would be fair to say there was the odd ugly scene! and no im not talking about guy behind the counter at All-In-One!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The WA was a dump and typically unfriendly 'local'.

I look forward to visiting the Hikers again but hope they can get some guest ales.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Having just read the whole thread and seen comments from some of those who have escaped Lower Bev, sadly i am still here having done 'time' of over 30 years.

I don't think it's as bad as some estates, crime-wise, and does have some local clubs catering for all ages and a very high profile 'Dean valley FC' which appears to do wonderful work.

it's a god forsaken place in that it has no church (although the defunct church has plans for a community centre) and the pub is long gone and replaced by some flats that would win design awards in Gdansk.

The parade of shops at the top end (Leybourne) is little more than a wholesale butchers, a Post office/corner shop, a Chinese and a cafe. The cafe is a fairly new enterprise and they are trying hard and there are also plans to spruce up the whole parade area.

The problem with lower bev is that it's a giant cul-de-sac. buses only run one way around the loop so local shoppers are almost certain of a uphill walk home, hence local shops/pubs, fail.

There are signs of some community spirit but an area can only be as good as the people in it. There's also lovely views!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hikers isnt too bad now.

The only problem with the Hikers is the lack of decent beer - apart from that, it's a friendly pub.

The really nasty pub in the area is the Bevendean in Moulescoomb. I was in there at 5.30 on a Friday evening a couple of years ago and there was already a bit of an atmosphere in the place. It used to be a friendly boozer in the 70s (particularly if you wanted to buy moody gear) but it's gone downhill since then.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
You are a brave cvnt hiding behind the keyboard as you slate people - obviously not something you would say to their face!

prick!!

Hang about.......what have you just done? Called me a prick anonymously from behind your keyboard.That must make you a brave **** too.Grow up.If you know them,you know I'm not far wrong.If you know me.You know I'd say it to either of their faces.How come the only Mack doing any good lives in Henfield and won't have anything to do with the others?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Played pool against them one season and when we went to play at their house we narrowly won and landlord decided a lock in was in order, the sun was coming up when I left and I couldn't go to work that Tuesday.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I worked up at the The Hyde from 1961 for thirty years and used the Admiral at lunch time a lot. We had some great Christmas Eve sessions there when work was over and in all my time drinking there, never ever was there any trouble. I liked and have fond memories of the place.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
54th? I presume you talking cub scouts?

regarding goble, i have no idea you you talking 'bout, wilis..

Yeah, the local Scout group.
and
just some local dozzer i used to like - no worries.

I thought it was the white admiral too. I can confirm that Russell White, son of Chris White (formally of Crossroads) was in my class at school and hid godfather is no other than David Jason. They lived at the top end of Bevendean at the time, hence the link.

Russell White was in that above Scout group for a while.

Having just read the whole thread and seen comments from some of those who have escaped Lower Bev, sadly i am still here having done 'time' of over 30 years.

I don't think it's as bad as some estates, crime-wise, and does have some local clubs catering for all ages and a very high profile 'Dean valley FC' which appears to do wonderful work.

it's a god forsaken place in that it has no church (although the defunct church has plans for a community centre) and the pub is long gone and replaced by some flats that would win design awards in Gdansk.

The parade of shops at the top end (Leybourne) is little more than a wholesale butchers, a Post office/corner shop, a Chinese and a cafe. The cafe is a fairly new enterprise and they are trying hard and there are also plans to spruce up the whole parade area.

As per BOLD:
Who the Fvck are Dean Valley FC ?! What happened to Bev Barcelona..an Institution..!
Used to go to that church on Xmas eve's - Christingle service, carrying my lit orange orb thing, all the back to Plymouth Ave..
I remember Val the Butcher particually; always wondered as a kid, why a bloke had same name as my mum..?!
:needs a Lwr Bev Smiley here:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
what happened to the church? are all LB folks 'godless', like in the rest of Brighton?

It closed down and as I posted earlier a fund has been set up to restore and re open a church. My auntie died recently and her wish was that instead of flowers donations be made to this fund via Chris Stringer Funeral Directors.

Just looked it up on my e mails here are the details if anybody is interested:

If desired, donations for
Church of Holy Nativity Bevendean Community Project may be sent to
Christopher Stringer Funeral Service, 49 Barcombe Road, Moulsecoomb,
BN1 9JQ. Tel. 01273 691704.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bevendean badgers were the main team in Bevendean and Barcelona & Bulls were breakaway teams.

I don't know what happened to badgers but I think they dropped the 'badgers' (not trendy) and I'm not sure if Dean Valley are a later incarnation or completly new. sadly, it's rumoured that this club, like so many before, maybe falling apart from within as different factions have different views on where the club should go. i don't have any real info on this but would imagine it's the usual of trying to be the best club in the world v being a club where local kids can learn to play the game.

The church building is still there, available for hire and quite frequently used. the new project will extend and transform the building for some much needed community facilities.

As for George Smart, i never met him but he was a bit of a legend and quite a few kids i went to school with knew him. I also went to school with one of his lads. George, as you might expect, is well gone from the place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think Dean Valley was part of Bevendean Youth ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here