Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The White Admiral Bevendean

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Anyone update me on this, what is it like to live in Bevendean? Ive Seen a reasnable property on Heath Hill Avenue but unsure what the area is like?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
David Jasons older brother lives in Bevendean,hence the connection to the White Admiral.
John Mack and his wierd son,also John,ran the place into the ground.More fiddles than the Royal Philharmonic.Brainless thugs.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
David Jasons older brother lives in Bevendean,hence the connection to the White Admiral.

(Another Lower Bev boy here)

He lived/owned the hairdressers on that little parade of shops half way up, between The Avenue and Upper/Lower Bev Avenue - I used to deliver newspapers to him as a nipper.

Arthur White as Google reminds me..

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Bloody hell...Google maps has just shown me that that same parade of shops, is in fact not a parade of shops anymore....most converted to houses...!

Could be somewhere in Stoke.. :D

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
biggup to da lower bev massiv!

I used to live in Norwich Drive as a nipper, went to the off licence next to the WA, after scouts, for some sweets..

a regular dare was to walk back through the 'spooky' woods at night, without a torch..

fecking stupid if you think about it now, but we never had probs with any weirdos.. through there or anywhere else... i was more scared of getting caught scrumping!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
biggup to da lower bev massiv!

I used to live in Norwich Drive as a nipper, went to the off licence next to the WA, after scouts, for some sweets..

a regular dare was to walk back through the 'spooky' woods at night, without a torch..

fecking stupid if you think about it now, but we never had probs with any weirdos.. through there or anywhere else... i was more scared of getting caught scrumping!

The 54th no less..

Why does the name Theresa Goble lurk in my mind still...?! :)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The only fools scenes were indeed filmed in the allotments at the top of Bevendean. You can see Brighton poly (now btn uni) in some of the shots. It was filmed in around 1993 and if you look closely in one of the scenes, a van full of parks workers arrive in the distance. I was one of those parkies.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
John Mack and his wierd son,also John,ran the place into the ground.More fiddles than the Royal Philharmonic.Brainless thugs.

You are a brave cvnt hiding behind the keyboard as you slate people - obviously not something you would say to their face!

prick!!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Another former Lower Bevendeaner here - Taunton Grove in my case. I watched some of the filming of that bit at the pub. The actors didn't even turn up until midnight, and actual filming didn't get going 'til about 2 o'clock in the morning. David Jason was good as gold, though. There were loads of kids hanging about and he signed autographs while sitting in a car. That yellow 3-wheeler was in the Admiral car park, and it looked like it was going to feature heavily, but it ended up only being in for a few seconds.

My own views on Bevendean? Not as bad as some people would have you believe but it feels isolated with one road in and one out, kids kept caving in the windows of the Chinese takeaway, the Admiral was what passed for a community heart there (a scary enough thought), and that's long gone. I wouldn't choose to live there now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Plans are afoot to build a community centre combined with a church in Bevendean. The only reason I know that is because my late mothers sister has just died and requested that instead of flowers a donation be made to that fund.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here