Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The White Admiral Bevendean

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
This pub suffered in the floods of October 2000 and is currently closed and awaiting demolition before the developers move in to build flats or whatever.

Urban Myth?

I'd heard that it was used to film some episodes of Only Fools and Horses and therefore was the Nag's Head. Yeah, yeah yeah........

Well here it is:

http://www.trotters-independent-traders.co.uk/pictures/realworld.htm

Mother Nature's Son - Series 7

This episode is where the Trotters discover a so called Peckham Spring. The Nags Head is seen a few times in this episode.

http://www.trotters-independent-traders.co.uk/pictures/real/tnagsreal.jpg

TAUNTON ROAD, LOWER BEVENDEAN, BRIGHTON
This old pub called the White Admiral in Taunton Road Lower Bevendean- Brighton was used as the Nags Head in Mother Natures Son.

D

Deleted User X18H

Definatly shots in the car park of the whirw admiral and at the allotments up near hollingbury golf course....... to be honest most of them on here haven't got a clue about the suburbs of Brighton and Hove

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
The White Admiral is just down the road from me and I recognised it in OFAH without even being told. Its weird looking at the horrendous state of it now and thinking that once it featured in the best sitcom ever to be created.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
hove born&bred said:
Definatly shots in the car park of the whirw admiral and at the allotments up near hollingbury golf course....... to be honest most of them on here haven't got a clue about the suburbs of Brighton and Hove

Absolute bollox - the allotment scenes were the ones behind Southall Avenue, I should know I watched it being filmed from my mother-in-law's bedroom

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Beach Hut said:
Absolute bollox - the allotment scenes were the ones behind Southall Avenue, I should know I watched it being filmed from my mother-in-law's bedroom

And what, pray, were you doing in your Mother-in-Law's bedroom (and don't say watching OFaH being filmed!!) you dirty bastard

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
hove born&bred said:

Beach huts right, its the allotments off Nesbitt road, coombe road area of brighton. the allotment they used was in fact my Mum and dads!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes but how come nobody has mentioned that the White Admiral was rough as f***!

The Bosun however was a genteel watering hole compared to the Admiral

I may even go as far as to say the Admiral made the Hikers look like a tea room!

D

Deleted User X18H

Mr Popkins said:
Beach huts right, its the allotments off Nesbitt road, coombe road area of brighton. the allotment they used was in fact my Mum and dads!
Which you can see from the back of the 9th tee at Hollingbury Golf course.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just been looking at houses in the area and was dismayed to see a pub that's been closed down.

Where do people in Bevendean drink, there's no pub for miles (unless you count the Bevendean Hotel in Moulsecoomb - only for the foolhardy)?

And is it really due for demolition? Surely there aren't enough facilities for the people who are already there without adding to the population.

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
I live in Bevendean and its a nightmare here. We have a newsagents, a Chinese take-away and a butchers. A bookies/pub here could rake it in, theres no competition.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dawsey said:
A bookies/pub here could rake it in, theres no competition.

Don't know about the bookies, you can do all your betting on the Web these days, but why isn't there a pub in the neighbourhood? You'd think there was a captive market there .... and brewers are not normally slow at missing out on profit. The Admiral couldn't have been making money, the question is, why not?

Incidentally, are those streets at the end of Bevendean the ones that are furthest away from a pub in the whole of B&H?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I lived in Bevendean for years, the Admiral was my local and it was indeed rough. I watched a bit of the filming there for that Christmas special. They didn't start 'til 2am, it was freezing cold but loads of people hung around waiting for David Jason. When he turned up he was good as gold, signed loads of autographs for kids. Took them hours for about 2 minutes of footage, although the pub had never looked better!

Was weird seeing the yellow three-wheeler in the Admiral car park too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All the indications are that the pub was used regularly so I still understand why the brewery don't want to re-open it. And why hasn't the council turned down the plans for housing there? Yes, we need more social housing in Brighton, but we need more amenities too.

Any of you Bevendeaners throw any light on this?

And why are the all shops closed? There must be enough custom around there to keep them open.

We saw a house in the area we rather liked but were concerned with the lack of facilities in the area, what is it like to live in Bevendean?

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
Living in Bevendean is almost like living in a small village in the sence that it seems miles away from anywhere and most of the people are elderly. Facilities in the area are poor, but you're only a bus journey away from the city centre, even if the buses do tend to run whenever they bloody well like.

My Dad would probably keep the bookies in business on his own, bearing in mind his useless luck and the fact he can't use a computer.

The pub is horrendously damaged after the floods, maybe its not cost effective? I'm not sure but its just a guess.

D

Deleted User X18H

My old nan used to live in Taunton Place , Taunton Cresent what s it like round there now I haven't been north of the Avenue for years time for a nostalgia trip

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What was I doing in my mother-law's bedroom :lolol: :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks Dawsey, you confirmed what we thought. Anyone else with opinions on Bevendean - wasn't there a Bevendean Gull who used to post?

I went to Bevendean Juniors and I really enjoyed hanging around in the area, but that was nearly 40 years ago and things have changed a lot since then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here