• I believe the Mail

Votes: 38 57.6%

• Total voters

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not kept up with this.

Are there tapes, or is this just speculation. Because it would seem strange if they happenned to be recording him at this time.

If not, it's completely unproveable and will proabably fizzle out save for Boris having a better idea who the leaker is and him having his libertarian, anti lockdown, him against the scientists mystique strengthened in his core voters

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Funny how many people now believe Cummings when it suits their agenda.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Who to believe?

A serial liar who has never knowingly told the truth, a cheat and a philanderer who cheated on his then wife when she was suffering from cancer.

Or

The Daily Mail,and all that entails.

After a lot of thought, I probably believe the Mail, as their coverage of the Stephen Lawrence murder proves that somewhere buried deep within their usual racist, little Englander popularism there may be a spark of honesty.

I doubt if Johnson knows what that is.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sure he said it, Johnson is renowned for clumsy language and in a room amongst people he could trust he wouldn't be too bothered.

Without defending him what he said may well now being taken out of context a bit. But its out there now and the optics are absolutely awful when you consider the amount of avoidable deaths

I suspect Cummins has a mountain of dirt, we'll know more in a month

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All involved in this grubby episode are completely untrustworthy. FWIW I find it entirely believable that Johnson would utter the alleged words. I've seen nothing to suggest he has any real empathy for the British people whatsoever, which is pretty sickening seeing he has had first hand experience of how serious Covid can be.

What we do know is that the lockdown in question was already late and it resulted in thousands of deaths that could have been prevented. Whilst I think proving that he said these comments could be damaging, what really should be damaging is the huge death toll that has been the result of dithering over lockdowns in all stages of the pandemic. Johnson has already got away with that. So I doubt that he'll be too concerned with the bitter and twisted public enemy number one Dominic Cummins.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Absolutely no idea.

Bad as each other. I guess though that Boris may very well have said it, but whether he actually meant it is another matter.

The Mail are very good at doing outrage when it suits them.

Not condoning the phrase in any way though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The BBC have altered it slightly to 'bodies could pile high'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56890714

The BBC have more or less given the Government free reign over Covid for some time.
They ask a question and allow the minister to answer in full, without a follow up, rather than grill the minister as they should have.
Regarding this matter the BBC were very slow and have now altered the words as you have said.
There is a massive difference between "Let the bodies pile high" and "Bodies will pile high"
Johnson did not want another lockdown that is why he dithered and delayed leading to thousands of unnecessary deaths, so the first option fits, if he did want a lockdown he would have said " go into lockdown again or the bodies will pile high"
Why was the BBC so slow?
Waiting for a call for the alternative wording from No 10?
I see they have delayed an enquiry because they are too busy, I never saw that one coming.
Johnson and this Government stink.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
bottom line i wouldnt trust either Johnson, the Mail, or Cummings. but i dont think Johnson is nasty either. alternative is a deliberate misquote, cited by a disgruntled former employee.

Sorry, can I just clarify that you don't think that Johnson is nasty.
This is why he is ahead in the polls because people just can't see right through him, and it isn't very difficult either.
He is very nasty, a serial liar and an incompetent buffoon.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would not be surprised if he uttered something similar, but I doubt he meant it, I am surprised the Mail is giving the story. It suggests to me that other senior Tories are looking to change leader.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Apparently Boris also suggested that when it was discovered that it were possible we would not have enough ventilators he wanted to call it "project last gasp" but was advised otherwise
He ignored the advice then as the video was on the news last year.

But too many in the see-no-evil gallery just lap up the disgrace's behaviour and cheer him on.

So we are where we are

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would not be surprised if he uttered something similar, but I doubt he meant it, I am surprised the Mail is giving the story. It suggests to me that other senior Tories are looking to change leader.

Funny you should say that. Dominic Cummings is said to have leaked this, who is friends with Michael Gove, who has been keeping his head down, and also has a wife, Sarah Vine, who works for the Daily Mail.

Probably just a coincidence eh?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The majority of NSC membership last summer described Cummings as a liar, a good many members describe The Mail as a vile rag not fit to wipe their arse with, so I guess I don’t believe either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

did you run out of ink or are you just forgetting that most NSC also think BJ is a big big liar.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Absolutely no idea.

Bad as each other. I guess though that Boris may very well have said it, but whether he actually meant it is another matter.

The Mail are very good at doing outrage when it suits them.

Not condoning the phrase in any way though.

Does it matter whether he meant it , a PM needs to be squeaky clean and certainly other politicians have gone to the wall for using words like coloured rather than black. That's of course IF he said it at all but IF he did then he has to go.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m more aggrieved that he did cause thousands to die with his dithering and eagerness to please his voters than what he may or may not have shouted in a fit of peak.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whatever the truth, if the staff at The Mail have taken arms against Johnson then the word on Fleet St will be that Johnson is about to go down. Big hitters like the Mail don’t start mutiny’s until the rifles have been handed out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes. Always admired him. A man of integrity and honour doing what he believes is right for his country. An honest man misunderstood by many.

Just don't get in a car with him.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Mail want Johnson out. Who do they want in his place then? It's not going to be Starmer.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Possible full quote?

"Of course I'd rather not have another lockdown and we all want to get the economy up and running again, but we just can't let the bodies pile high in their thousands."

Enough there for someone to be selective and make mischief. Not saying that's what happened, but it'd be good to know what other words surrounded those eight that The Mail picked on and flashed across the world as headlines..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here