Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tories planning to get Britain back to work

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For what it's worth, I like their plan of cutting NI payment obligations for new businesses in the first two years.

I know somebody on here said that would penalise existing firms, but I think it's a bold move designed to encourage job creation. Certainly far better than the cut cut cut mantra that had so far prevailed among Tories, especially the depressing poorly thought out idea of cutting incapacity benefit.

Cutting everything is not a good solution to paying back the national debt. Get people back to work, and increase the amount you can take in tax - then use that to pay off the national debt. That's what I want to see, anyway.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
This is RUBBISH.

Some of them also want to work rather than pick up nappies and read The Hungry Caterpillar a dozen times a day, and I can't blame those that choose such an option.

Why would you even contemplate having a child if you don't want to look after it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why would you even contemplate having a child if you don't want to look after it?
We took that point of view too, but I guess you have to accept that others don't necessarily believe that the only way to bring up a child is to have a "stay at home" parent.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
For what it's worth, I like their plan of cutting NI payment obligations for new businesses in the first two years.

I know somebody on here said that would penalise existing firms, but I think it's a bold move designed to encourage job creation. Certainly far better than the cut cut cut mantra that had so far prevailed among Tories, especially the depressing poorly thought out idea of cutting incapacity benefit.

Cutting everything is not a good solution to paying back the national debt. Get people back to work, and increase the amount you can take in tax - then use that to pay off the national debt. That's what I want to see, anyway.

I agree. An even bolder move would be drop some of the employment legislation for the same companies over the same period.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I agree with your viewpoint but it is only the very extremes of society (relatively rich and not so), and those who having made sound financial planning have a way of either reducing their expenditure significantly or have spare liquid assets, who could realistically financially not have to go back to work.

In many cases the mother will work condensed hours which is almost a full week but in less days (where possible). We between us have found a way so that we get quality time with the children (either jointly or separately) for much of the week and only rely on child care for the minority of the time. Going back to work was a means to an end rather than a 'wanting life back' decision.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I never said that. Some people want to have both a career and bring up their kids, and so work part time. If someone wants to use childcare and work full time surely that is providing employment for two people, further evidence that Looney by name, looney by nature, but I'll let him off as he is not a parent.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree. An even bolder move would be drop some of the employment legislation for the same companies over the same period.

Out of interest, what legislation would you drop?

Minimum wage
Maximum hours
Health and Safety
Stockings and suspenders for all nurses?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Out of interest, what legislation would you drop?

Minimum wage
Maximum hours
Health and Safety
Stockings and suspenders for all nurses?

Out of those only maximum hours. I was thinking more things like the right to work flexibly, maternity.

These are all good things that most employers should offer, but must prove a headache to smaller businsesses that have to cope with them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hasn't dodgy Dave just nicked the idea off the BNP with their “workfare not welfare” and twisted it. Just a thought

Didn't the BNP nick the idea off the Yanks ? :lol:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yes, most of the private sector have had zero rises in the past 12 months. Local authority staff got 1%.

The last time the Toreis said Britain Isn't Working (1979) they doubled Unemployment to 3m+, so don't believe the rhetoric. The problem is aggregate demand in the economy so even if more people are willing to work - which they are trying to achieve by reforming IB - then there aren't likely to be the jobs available. Public sector squeeze will make this worse. Tories are doing this for political rather than economic reasons. They think you have to pay poor people less to get them to work harder but - suprise suprise - you have to pay rich people more to get them to work harder. Hence they will probably backtrack on the proposed 50% higher rate tax on the amount anyone earns above £150k pa.

Unemployment is a lagged indicator which means it will continue to rise for at least another 12 months.

PG

What did MP's get? At least there'll be a few of THEM unemployed come next Spring.:clap2:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Certainly far better than the cut cut cut mantra that had so far prevailed among Tories, especially the depressing poorly thought out idea of cutting incapacity benefit.

Cutting everything is not a good solution to paying back the national debt. Get people back to work, and increase the amount you can take in tax - then use that to pay off the national debt.

Just a minute, I thought the idea was to get people off IB and back to work, so whats the issue?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

So why not cut NI for EVERY firm taking on new employees for two years.

Its a load of ill thought out crap that could have come from either party

We need new policies and new thinking

Why not get rid of VAT and income tax everyone at source OR get rid of Income tax and VAT everything. Why have two systems?

Why is everything so complicated now, why have Child benefit AND Child tax credits AND working tax credits.

Why have Road Tax, excise duty AND now parking permits

Why have 10 water companies 10 power companies

Is it to confuse everything to make money for big business?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If I was in power anyone claiming any kind of benefits that met one the following criteria should be forced into work.

- Smokes Sovereigns
- Wears Reebok jogging bottoms but doesn't jog
- Has stupid moustache that are only seen elsewhere on 15 year old asian kiddies
- Says 'sumfink' without even a hint of irony

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I won't vote Tory but I am frustrated by the benefit scroungers, when I worked at Man City Council I met so many of them openly and brazenly bragging when they had secured their incapacity benefit, etc.

If I was in charge I would re-establish the Ministry of Public Works. Then, if you sign on, you've got a month to get a job, if not then you work (for a decent wage) for the Ministry, building railways, filling in potholes, whatever, there's zillions of things that need doing, until you get a job elsewhere. That'll sort out half the workshy fops and get stuff done.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Not so sure about Laurel and Hardy (read Cameron and Osbourne). Already they are shying away from increasing at a faster pace the retirement age of men from 65 to 66. First thing this morning it was a deffo, now its gonna be reviewed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here