Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The talent we've let go in recent seasons due to mis management

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leon hasn't got any respect for himself - he's proved that time and again.

Leon did a damn good job for us, no matter how much anyone attempts to rewrite history. Sure he was a complex character, but a younger, smarter manager than McGhee might have been able to bring more of the best out of him.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
A decent manager could have embraced Knight's ability.

I honestly think his time here at Withdean was a crossroads in his career. Sadly for him, and ultimately us, we know which way it went.

But, for one season or more he was on fire.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Maybe with both Leon and CKR, was that they were on the bench, or out of position, when McGhee insisted on playing Virgo up front, and that's what put their noses out of joint.

What sort of manager in his right mind would play Virgo in a position other than defe....... (oh)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I honestly think his time here at Withdean was a crossroads in his career. Sadly for him, and ultimately us, we know which way it went.

Thank you Lord Large.

I was beginning to think it was just me that thought Leon Knight Was Alright :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was beginning to think it was just me that thought Leon Knight Was Alright :thumbsup:

Is this the same Leon Knight that took such delight at the Albion being relegated?

He can f*** right off to the sewer from where he came.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Leon did a damn good job for us, no matter how much anyone attempts to rewrite history. Sure he was a complex character, but a younger, smarter manager than McGhee might have been able to bring more of the best out of him.

totally agree

Had McGhee not insisted on playing long ball over his head all the time, and played it to feet once in a while, he wouldn't have become frustrated and his career might have been very different

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
He was on fire when Coppell let him play on the shoulder of the last defender and did not expect him to be some sort of target man, constantly playing with his back to goal and getting a kicking from a centre back twice his size following another aimless lump forward.

Yes, I suppose the anti-Knight brigade can say they were proved right, but I think some players do get to a point, perhaps a last-chance saloon, where they either click with a boss and go on to great things, or fall out and end up in non-league.

I am sure Knight had his faults as much as McGhee but a better manager (i.e. Coppell) might have made it easier for the little magician to fullfil his potential.

I can't help thinking the lower down the leagues you go, the more old school and stubborn the approach of the manager. Sadly for people like Leon Knight post Coppell he never got the manger he needed to HELP himself sort out his attitude.

I for one loved him and will be forever grateful to him for some magic moments, like the play off final, Sheffield United away etc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
totally agree

Had McGhee not insisted on playing long ball over his head all the time, and played it to feet once in a while, he wouldn't have become frustrated and his career might have been very different

Poor little guy had to take an alternate position for the good of the team. He was not scoring and we had taken a pitiful amount of points from the opening 10 fixtures. The decision to play Leon elsewhere and move Virgo upfront ensured that we finished in our highest position for 13 plus years and kept us up against the (rank) odds.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
"It was terrific to see Brighton go down. I was absolutely delighted that they got relegated. You cannot understand how happy I was. But I don't want to be playing them next season. Hopefully, we can leapfrog them as they come down."

He's a f***ing disgrace, we paid his wages for two years and he comes out with this.......and you love him?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"It was terrific to see Brighton go down. I was absolutely delighted that they got relegated. You cannot understand how happy I was. But I don't want to be playing them next season. Hopefully, we can leapfrog them as they come down."

He's a f***ing disgrace, we paid his wages for two years and he comes out with this.......and you love him?

Again. Quote me where he slagged the fans. He was rightly pissed off at the manager and by extension the club. But not the fans. Total respect to the boy.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
So were the fans who used to abuse Knight at every chance. The vitriol hurled at him during home games by people who should have been pleased we had a talented goalscorer was close to disgraceful.

I don't think anyone can blame him for the way he has spoken about Brighton since leaving, considering the all round treatment he got when he was here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Again. Quote me where he slagged the fans. He was rightly pissed off at the manager and by extension the club. But not the fans. Total respect to the boy.

The fans ARE Brighton, not the manager, not the other players (many of whom also couldn't stand him).

Concentrate on your vendetta against Murray

and that was Coppell.

Knight always said that Coppell was the only reaason he signed for us.

once Coppell left, Knight's carteer started to falter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here