Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The sportsman - whats your thoughts on this?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Say that to a perry maker and he'll knock you out.

It's a bit like calling lager ale.

I know, a bit like comparing Black Rat to White Lightening... however I doubt the law makers appreciate the difference. I was just trying to keep it simple.

:thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't perry made my a particular type of pear and only that type? Anything else is pear cider?

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
interestingly the new single equality bill means that age discrimination now applies on goods and services (not just employment), therefore, if you get refused to get into a nightclub because you're 'too old' you can file a claim for discrimation ... i'm not sure whether licensing laws bypass the discrimation laws but i doubt it, in theory, upon production of legitimate ID (and a prov. drivers license is one, no argument) the bar person is discriminating based on age - if she just said i don't want to serve you she would be ok.

i'm confusing myself here.

i blame thatcher.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Hairy Bikers were at a perrry producers once and I'm sure he said that only certain pears can be used to make perry.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I would love it, absolutely LOVE IT, if someone asked me to prove my age in a pub. I looked 40 even when I was 16.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Isn't perry made my a particular type of pear and only that type? Anything else is pear cider?

That is correct.

There simply isn't enough Perry trees and therefore pears available in the world to make Perry on the level the likes of Balmers and co are producing it. Most of the time pear cider is just apple cider with pear flavoring. I can only assume the ones that claim to use only pears must just use any old pear they can find.

Either way on the whole it's muck (Perry and pear cider).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Some Perry is excellent, Middle Farm has loads of good ones, pear cider is like a bearable alcopop

Too bad - but like you say, it's up to the handling of the situation in this case, as to how you feel about the business.
Since it sounds from your story as if you were reasonable (and only you know that for sure), then you can only take what you shall from the interaction.

Would you believe that SOME people DO get shirty when asked to follow SIMPLE REQUESTS that pertain to the rules (such as removing a hat for cctv reasons), and have been banned because of their aggressive non-compliance, on match-days.
Thus, The Sportsman - who have been rather good in their dealings with BHAFC - have had to suffer some idiots who will masquerade as upstanding citizens, and victims of their normal handling of things.
They must be extremely annoying and tiresome, and it ends up being passed on to the regular person who DOES comply - as do the problems caused by previous kids with fake id's.

Take those factors into account, and consider carrying your passport or birth-certificate. You are in that age where this will arise as an issue again and again, in other businesses - so like a good boy-scout; 'be prepared'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It does seem odd that you should need to take a passport or birth certificate to a pub. I think better advice would be to avoid the pub entirely. Most of us would agree that you wouldn't be missing much.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Too bad - but like you say, it's up to the handling of the situation in this case, as to how you feel about the business.
Since it sounds from your story as if you were reasonable (and only you know that for sure), then you can only take what you shall from the interaction.

Would you believe that SOME people DO get shirty when asked to follow SIMPLE REQUESTS that pertain to the rules (such as removing a hat for cctv reasons), and have been banned because of their aggressive non-compliance, on match-days.
Thus, The Sportsman - who have been rather good in their dealings with BHAFC - have had to suffer some idiots who will masquerade as upstanding citizens, and victims of their normal handling of things.
They must be extremely annoying and tiresome, and it ends up being passed on to the regular person who DOES comply - as do the problems caused by previous kids with fake id's.

Take those factors into account, and consider carrying your passport or birth-certificate. You are in that age where this will arise as an issue again and again, in other businesses - so like a good boy-scout; 'be prepared'.

would you believe that some people are so pathetic that they just can't leave behind disagreements from weeks ago - give it a rest, you sad man

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The sportsman is shit because the SERVICE is shit. Nothing to do with removing hats or being asked for ID.

The FOOD is SHIT. It takes at least HALF AN HOUR to get served at the bar - even on JPT home games.

Its SHIT. SHIT. SHIT. Boycott because its SHIT.

Yoda

English & European
The Hairy Bikers were at a perrry producers once and I'm sure he said that only certain pears can be used to make perry.

I remember seeing that one Max, but can't remember the type of pear used.

Some Perry is excellent, Middle Farm has loads of good ones, pear cider is like a bearable alcopop

Too right, quite often go over to get some Broadoak now and then.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think that wikipedia entry is actually quite accurate, certainly with regards to the perry produced in just three counties being protected under EU law.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I remember seeing that one Max, but can't remember the type of pear used.

Too right, quite often go over to get some Broadoak now and then.

I had some Painted Lady the other day from there which was very nice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here