Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The single worst televised game of football I have ever seen

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Nice to win, but that was absolutely dire.

It resembled one of the early round FA Cup games between a League 2 team and some non-league minnows the BBC insist on screening. But without the romance...

I just can't believe how over the top the pundits were being just to try and make the match sound better. Praising Brighton's creative midfield and movement? Oh DO come on...

Oh, and did Adam Virgo actually do anything?

And why the hell did Thornton get taken off just as he was getting the upper hand on the full-back?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What miserable sod you are.We had a patched up squad out there who hasn't won in nine league games.I thought we did ok for a team low on confidence and playing a strong league 2 side on there patch.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Yes, we won which was good.

But the game was rubbish. Shrewsbury just looked a long-ball team. Thankfully that played into our hands somewhat.

Patched up team? Well Sullivan has played in goal during some of our better wins this season and losing Hawkins was hardly a huge blow.

I would say the only real loss was not having Johnson and Murray.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I just can't believe how over the top the pundits were being just to try and make the match sound better. Praising Brighton's creative midfield and movement? Oh DO come on...

SKY's coverage from the lower leagues is absolutely spot on.

Professional and not in the least bit patronising, helped by pundits with knowledge of the lower leagues.

It isn't supposed to be an exercise in being constantly reminded that the level of the football is lower than the premiership, which is far from uncommon on other channels.

So, I disagree 100%.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nice to win, but that was absolutely dire.

It resembled one of the early round FA Cup games between a League 2 team and some non-league minnows the BBC insist on screening. But without the romance...

Oh, and did Adam Virgo actually do anything?

And why the hell did Thornton get taken off just as he was getting the upper hand on the full-back?

You're just a great big sunshine bear aren't you?

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
me too. second half was decent entertainment, and we looked quite good on the counter attack, played some nice stuff at times.

we had 2 centre halves playing in centre midfield - do you really expect them to be able to ping 35 yard inch perfect passes onto the head of our 10 million pound striker?? if so maybe you should just go and watch man utd and chelsea all the time..

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I am chuffed we won.

But all to aware that some people on here will be heralding this as a reason to keep the faith for another six months...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just can't believe how over the top the pundits were being just to try and make the match sound better.

It's what Sky do. They HAVE to hype up whatever it is they're showing else no neutrals would ever watch. For example that shit ad they showed during every break that tried make World Championship Darts (13 tiresome days worth!) sound like some awesome Clash Of Titans rather than a not very interesting pub game contested by beer-bellied wallies.

Yoda

English & European
Yes, we won which was good.

But the game was rubbish. Shrewsbury just looked a long-ball team. Thankfully that played into our hands somewhat.

Patched up team? Well Sullivan has played in goal during some of our better wins this season and losing Hawkins was hardly a huge blow.

I would say the only real loss was not having Johnson and Murray.

Shrewsbury weren't a long ball team but a very productive counter attacking team. It was never going to be a great game with our five man midfield but at least we were passing it better when going forward.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's what Sky do. They HAVE to. For example that shit ad they showed during every break that tried make World Championship Darts (13 days worth!) sound like some awesome Clash Of Titans rather than a not very interesting pub game contested by beer-bellied wallies.

They don't have to, but they do. It's the one thing about SKY that I would absolutely applaud and something other broadcasters could look at in their own football coverage.

Not sure the commentators are particularly positive as mentioned above, but it's a professional approach.

The football coverage is actually stripped right back, hardly the circus of the premiership and supported by pundits who actually know what's its like to play at that level.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Large is absolutely SPOT ON.
It was nowhere NEAR as good as Barcelona v Real Madrid the other night. Not even close. I tune in to Shrewsbury v Brighton fully expecting to see dazzling skills on the ball, audacious wing play, samba-style tricks and flicks from the forwards, grace and guile from the defenders, and all played out amongst a cauldron-like atmosphere with fireworks and shit. Incredibly, I saw NONE of that.

I want my money back.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I agree too. It was as if there were two mediocre sides from the lower divisions with players of limited ability playing. What WERE Sky thinking of putting that rubbish on?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I tune in to Shrewsbury v Brighton fully expecting to see dazzling skills on the ball, audacious wing play, samba-style tricks and flicks from the forwards, grace and guile from the defenders, and all played out amongst a cauldron-like atmosphere with fireworks and shit. Incredibly, I saw NONE of that.

I can understand you not seeing the fireworks, but how did you manage to not see the shit? :lol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lord Large is absolutely SPOT ON.
It was nowhere NEAR as good as Barcelona v Real Madrid the other night. Not even close. I tune in to Shrewsbury v Brighton fully expecting to see dazzling skills on the ball, audacious wing play, samba-style tricks and flicks from the forwards, grace and guile from the defenders, and all played out amongst a cauldron-like atmosphere with fireworks and shit. Incredibly, I saw NONE of that.

I want my money back.

.. and I wanted to be able to change the camera view with the red button - where the f*ck was that ?

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
It just struck me how poor both teams were.

I am a season ticket holder but I think things always seem better when you are there and sort of involved in the proceedings.

Watching it on television was quite sobering.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The single worst televised game of football I have ever seen?

Somebody obviously doesn't remember watching us against Orient for Shilton's 1000th game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here