Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sheff Wed catering thread

The queue at half time for beer from the mobile dispensers in the North Stand concourse was ridiculous - and quite unnecessary.

The problem was that Kronenbourg was on offer from the same outlet as Harveys and Hophead. This meant that the queue was twice the length as usual (because the lager drinkers joined it). It also meant that the service was very much slower (because it takes about five times longer to pour a pint of lager than it takes to pull a pint of Harveys). The result is that it takes longer to serve everyone in the already lengthened queue.

The solution - Keep the Kronenbourg sales separate from the Harveys/Hophead sales. Shorter queues. Faster service for everyone. And time to drink the beverage before the second half starts.

PS. Is it actually possible to down a pint of cold Kronenbourg in two minutes?

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Arriving at Brighton station at around Half 6 and seeing the queues and knowing I needed dinner at some point, I decided to just head to the fish & chip shop by the Battle. £2.80 for lare battered suasage and chips, lasted the whole 20 minutes i spent queuing to board the train to the Amex.

Think it's the first time I've been to a game at the Amex and not had a Pie!

I always use that chippy, it's bargaintastic and bloody good quality as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bought a chicken pie which had clearly been cooked in a microwave: soggy pastry and 100 degrees in the centre.

Oh, and [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] bought me a sparkling mineral water which turned out to be tonic.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd advise anybody whose priority is needing some post-match sustenance before a long drive home to think outside the pie box and head straight for the South Stand where there's minimal queues and loads of pies. Well at least that was the case after the Barnsley game which was the one time I tried it.

Bizzare reading these threads as never had an issue in WSL. Arrived 7 last night queued 5 mins for pie, full choice of fillings available as usual.

Are there logistical issues getting stock upstairs? I hope they sort it for the other areas and if they can't then apply to sell from the external concourses. Getting this right is crucial to maximising matchday revenues.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I hope Mr Barber enjoys the catering challenge . I feel it is only a matter of time before the club apply for a change in the planning permission to allow for outside catering vans. We already have a mobile club shop. I dare say these mobiles would have to be run by the clubs caterers . Without more outlets i cannot see the problem solved.

Completely agree with this. I don't think it is possible to improve service in the WSU, the sheer number of people makes it impossible, therefore outside catering is the only solution.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If there was a McDonalds express takeaway in each of the 4 stands they wouldn't be running out of food and if stocks were running low they would liaise between each other to replenish. Azure need to look at how the big boys do it. It would be an idea to put up scrolling message LED screens to tell people in advance what has sold out before they get to the counter.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Completely agree with this. I don't think it is possible to improve service in the WSU, the sheer number of people makes it impossible, therefore outside catering is the only solution.

I thought as part of the stadium planning permission the club are not allowed to have any outside catering units in order to appease the village residents.

corkster

Apr 26, 2007
on the streets
got into the ESL @ 19.15, no Q lots of food and beer. Had a couple of Harveys before the game, took my seat watched 43 mins of the 1st half. Went out had a piss (washed my hands) had 2 more harveys and a Pie and still was in my seat before the stripes came out for the 2nd half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
East Stand Upper

Prematch - Arrived early as I was coming down from Luton, so was on the concourse at 18:58 (remember this as I was joking about being just in time for the "Early Bird Offer: Burger"). However, wasn't hungry so just opted to get a nice Bovril with my Dad. Was a bit amused by the way that, rather than fill the cups with hot water at the same time as taking payment, the staff member seemed to insist on waiting for the payment before then preparing the Bovril. Dubious time management. Queue was very short and we were quickly served. Lovely stuff. As this was my first time in the ESU this season (after being in ESL last season) I was hoping that the catering crisis was forever cured.

Halftime - Decided that I'd treat myself to a pie and got in the queue just after the half-time whistle blew. Took about 7 or 8 minutes to get to the front which was an improvement, and then found that they had sold out of food. No burgers. No hotdogs. No pies. Just crisps. Awesome. Fortunately, the oven was STACKED full of pies that were slowly cooking and I assume that these were fresh and ready for the start of the second half once the concourse had cleared. Instead, I just got another couple of Bovrils - I know, we're pretty wild - but this caused a further delay as they had run out of lids. After the staff member had a walk around and asked 5 or 6 people, he came back to advise they had no lids. I was further amused to see the supervisor looking around at the queue and shouting in faux encouragement, and clearly for the benefit of the waiting customers, "Come on, let's get these customers served! 5 minutes to go! Let's not keep them waiting". This might've been more relevant if there hadn't been an array of empty food shelves behind with nothing to offer these waiting customers, clearly his supervision had failed this aspect.

Full-time - Was amused to see the 15% off pies offer on the big screen, knowing how many they'd just prepared for the stroke of the second half kick-off. My Dad and I nipped off in the 88th minute (yep, JLE/Badfan etc but I still didn't get back to Luton until 0030 despite getting on the first Falmer train). I decided to grab one of these discounted pies to enjoy on the train home, and the concourse was EMPTY. Fully-laden pie shelves sat behind the eager counter staff, a perfect scenario. I asked him if the 15% off had kicked in yet, since the full-time whistle hadn't gone. He had NO idea what I was talking about - just looked at me in amusement, as though I was cheeky asking for a discount. He suggested that they'd been told nothing about this promotion. Since we were keen to get out to the train queue, I just left it and hurried down the stairs - my stomach merely full of Bovril from the evening's offers.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
ESL using the kiosk by block F - never a queue

Coffee before the game and at half time -post match got cold drinks and pies for the drive home (200 miles/nearly 4 hours of mainly motorway driving so nothing to be saved by using service areas - served within a minute by a very helpful lad although one of the girls helping him could have possibly done with a toe up her backside as she seemed (to be generous) somewhat "one paced"

Never had any issues with service or product

(sorry)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So was running a bit late and arrived about 2 minutes before kick off. This meant that, of course, that WSU was completely empty, but also meant that they'd started to restock the kiosks drinks wise. No issue with that, except, despite asking, no one indicated who was serving. They only had steak pies left, which I have no issues with due to being so close to kick off, although it was a bit odd that they had so many.

Biggest complaint, by a mile, was that they had no forks. Went other to one of the blue bin locations, no forks. Walked down to the next, no forks. Went to the pie and pint kiosk, no forks. Went back to the kiosk I bought the pie from, no forks. I understand there are some big challenges with keeping hot food stocked, and whilst I certainly have complaints about that, the lack of any forks drove me barmy. This is one of the simplest items in the world to keep stocked surely?

After the match considered getting a 15% off pie, but somehow they only had two tills open at the nearest kiosk. There were plenty of staff in the kiosk, but from the look of it they all seemed to have cashed up their tills. As others have said it would seem that someone decided on the 15% off and didn't actually inform of any of the kiosk staff.

The catering has always been erratic, so quite frankly I've got no sympathy for any STH that still complains they've gone hungry. EAT BEFORE YOU GET TO THE GROUND (we use the rather good burger van outside Falmer station).

As for beer, no major issues for us in WSU last night. Pre-match they ran out of Fosters at the far north counter. No problem, simply walked along to the Pie & Pint stand and ordered from there. For halftime refreshment we take it in turns to be the runner, leaving a couple of minutes early to get the drinks in. Never gone without.

Last edited:

Biggest complaint, by a mile, was that they had no forks. Went other to one of the blue bin locations, no forks. Walked down to the next, no forks. Went to the pie and pint kiosk, no forks. Went back to the kiosk I bought the pie from, no forks. I understand there are some big challenges with keeping hot food stocked, and whilst I certainly have complaints about that, the lack of any forks drove me barmy. This is one of the simplest items in the world to keep stocked surely?

You are joking?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If there was a McDonalds express takeaway in each of the 4 stands they wouldn't be running out of food and if stocks were running low they would liaise between each other to replenish. Azure need to look at how the big boys do it. It would be an idea to put up scrolling message LED screens to tell people in advance what has sold out before they get to the counter.

MacDonald's..!!??.... I would rather eat my own shite!!

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
Biggest complaint, by a mile, was that they had no forks. Went other to one of the blue bin locations, no forks. Walked down to the next, no forks. Went to the pie and pint kiosk, no forks. Went back to the kiosk I bought the pie from, no forks. I understand there are some big challenges with keeping hot food stocked, and whilst I certainly have complaints about that, the lack of any forks drove me barmy. This is one of the simplest items in the world to keep stocked surely?.

is this your first ever game at a football match?

what has the world come too when you cant eat your pie without a fork at a football match............tony bloom hang your head in shame.:glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here