Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sheff Wed catering thread

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
it was better at the withdean i could always get a coffee and a bacon roll even at half time. The atmosphere was excellent at the withdean although i could never hear the north stand sing. Last night god you call that progress. I really am not sure in what direction this club is heading. :facepalm:

I went for the football.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's annoying but understandable that they should run out of food.

I don't think it's understandable, it's what the "Managers" should be tracking. They can see how many pies they are selling, roughly work out that in x kiosk it's 20 a minute or whatever and if they take 10 minutes to heat through then they know they need to get more on when 200 or so are left. I don't know the numbers but the logic is pretty straightforward - I saw one "Manager" at a booth in the South just chatting to one of the other guys at the back, didn't seem in any respect concerned at the queues and shortages and made no effort to organise the staff to make the best of a difficult situation - stunningly underwhelmed by the whole thing actually

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Waiting before kick off for 10 minutes, get to front, no hot food, was told half time there will be more, left my seat 4 minutes before half time, waited for near on 15 minutes, got to front, no hot food, catering is shit, food outlets outside the ground would solve the problem.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We've had 31 First Team fixtures at The Amex and they STILL can't get it right. An absolute JOKE of a catering company which is why I now eat before I travel. The Amex is spectacular in EVERY way, just a shame the catering is spectacularly BAD.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
me too - cant beleive there is catering thread again - did anyone see what was served up on the pitch - that was f***ing tasty.

The football was sublime and no one can complain, but I make no apology in passing commentary on the catering. We intentionally didn't eat until we got to the ground, despite numerous opportunities on the 200 mile journey, as I want to give the club my money. Me giving the club money helps deliver the quality of football we had last night.

That we were able to grab about the last hot dog for my daughter made the situation OK - my main concern was that she had something to eat for her tea - I'm a big boy and can wait. I feel for those behind me, particularly those with kids, who had saved themselves for some Amex food, only to be told "none left - sorry". When it's part of what makes the whole experience for kids, it's disappointing to let them down.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I hope Mr Barber enjoys the catering challenge . I feel it is only a matter of time before the club apply for a change in the planning permission to allow for outside catering vans. We already have a mobile club shop. I dare say these mobiles would have to be run by the clubs caterers . Without more outlets i cannot see the problem solved.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
The football was sublime and no one can complain, but I make no apology in passing commentary on the catering. We intentionally didn't eat until we got to the ground, despite numerous opportunities on the 200 mile journey, as I want to give the club my money. Me giving the club money helps deliver the quality of football we had last night.

That we were able to grab about the last hot dog for my daughter made the situation OK - my main concern was that she had something to eat for her tea - I'm a big boy and can wait. I feel for those behind me, particularly those with kids, who had saved themselves for some Amex food, only to be told "none left - sorry". When it's part of what makes the whole experience for kids, it's disappointing to let them down.

If you'd waited 10 minutes they would have restocked.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you'd waited 10 minutes they would have restocked.

Maybe they would but I have absolutely no faith in their competence as to that.

What should I have done - gone to the back of the queue again and hoped that, by the time I reached the front...

a) New fresh food had arrived.
b) It hadn't all been taken by everyone else who was hungry and waiting.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
ESU was heaving before the match.The last few games the 3 x mobile 'Harvey's' were together on the back wall,but last night the were in no mans land? The one fella was having to pour the pints then fumble around in his money belt - unzipping one side - zipping that side back up & so on!!! Why cant they have one serving the drink & one taking the money? Other than that it was fecking brilliant! :cheers:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Agree on the need for outside catering units.

My WSU experience last night? Large queues, only steak pies left and no lids for bovril. It's lucky I'm so steady handed or the people around me would have been showered in boiling hot beef juice when CMS scored.

On the plus side, my steak pie was the best pie I've had since the Amex opened.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Pies ran out where we were in the WSU at 7 PM and, because the server couldn't understand English properly and there were hardly any pints pre poured, the whole transaction took about four minutes at the till. No wonder the queues get ridiculous.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Due to the CANCELLED :angry: train from Lancing, we had to get a later one where I had my arse pressed against a cyclist and his handlebar (well, I hope it was that) and my crotch pressed against a rather attractive young lady to be honest. We didn't arrive at the Amex until just gone 7pm, we normally arrive at about 6:15.

Straight up to the WSU concourse, had to squeeze my way through, but it was frankly spacious compared to the train on which there must have been nearly a thousand people (only 4 coaches). Started queueing for the food and drink and quickly realised the queue was both moving agonisingly slowly and not leading to a pie. We got to the front and I had to settle for a cheeseburger and a coke instead of a pie and a pint because there were no pies and kick-off was looming so didn't want to have to down a pint to get to my seat in time for Fanzone, etc.

The burger was quite nice to be fair though. I'd prefer a pint any day of the week though. How come a cheeseburger is 30p more than a pie? They're not as nice and not as filling!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had a glorious chicken and ha pie. It was better than any I previous had (two of them). After the christmas pie C&H was my favourite but a little stodgy in texture. Last night's was hotter than before and the filling was creamy and tasty. Loved it. Usual queue before the game, little faster than normal, probably. After the game the pie was equally delicious (and even hotter) pretty quick service, and I got the 15% discount. I don't often buy pies but hadn't had any dinner or lunch, so felt I should eat and enjoyed the first so much I had to have a second after the game.

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
i qued up for a good 20/25 minuites.got to front and they said they couldnt serve beer and had no pies left this was near F,west upper..a total joke..i went up concourse and got a beer somewhere else but i wasnt best pleased queing up for so long to get f*** all!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't remember seeing bigger queues in the WSU ever. I reckon lots of people went straight to the Amex after work. The beer and pie stall by G entrance only had one guy at it when I got there at 6.55 but 10 mins later even that had a huge queue. I reckon they got caught on the hop which smacks of piss poor planning. However I would try other kiosks in WSU. [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] got a pint and burger from the one at the far north end around the same time [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] was drawing a blank elsewhere.

I would say that last night was one of my favourite ever nights watching Brighton but it is important to understand that every unsold pie or pint is revenue and profit we're missing out on and that's something Paul Barber should be holding Azure to account for.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Had my first pie of the season last night. Gone downhill since last season, we thought.

Sadly have to agree. I had a steak and ale pie and had to spit quite a few bits out as they were pure gristle and inedible. Shame as they were AWESOME last year.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My experience wasn't too bad, I had a pie and pint before the game and after too. To be fair I rarely have difficulty in the WSU, but the anecdotal evidence in this thread shows that Azure still have a long way to go re stock levels. It is unacceptable for them to run out at any stage before the match. They should be monitoring the stocks almost on a minute by minute basis at peak times, and they have enough data now on which to plan these things. Also they should never run out of the veggie pies, simply because for vegetarian customers they have no alternative.

I'm not really one to join in a moaning thread after such a great night, but it does grate that Azure seem to continue to get the simple things completely and utterly wrong on a consistent basis. This is no reflection on the serving staff who in my view do a terrific job in trying circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here