Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "Season Ticket Renewals 2021/22" thread

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Sorry if this has been asked before but too long a thread to read right thru - my 82 year old father does have a smartphone but it’s an old iPhone 4 - will this be suitable for loading his ticket on or does it need to be a newer smartphone in which case I assume there’s a contingency for those with older phones?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks HT
Just curious as to how it was being controlled , due to the flexibility of transferring tickets in corporate
Under ordinary circumstances you could swap someone in at the last minute If another had to drop out
Obviously a lot more advance planning required currently

A pleasure.

You are correct, under normal circumstances one can swop someone in at the last minute. For the Covid games the name of the user had to be provided at purchase time and as far as I know it couldn’t subsequently be changed.

All things considered I feel the club are doing the right thing with the new proposals.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Sorry if this has been asked before but too long a thread to read right thru - my 82 year old father does have a smartphone but it’s an old iPhone 4 - will this be suitable for loading his ticket on or does it need to be a newer smartphone in which case I assume there’s a contingency for those with older phones?

Anyone without an NFC chip phone (one which can handle Apple Pay / Google Pay), will need to opt for the 'Print At Home' ticket option. So basically printing a ticket for each game.

I think the oldest iPhones to have the NFC chips are the iPhone 6 and newer.

https://tickets.brightonandhovealbion.com/screenloader.aspx?type=include&page=custom/documents/html/NFCHelp.html

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I took advantage of the arrangements to change the name on my second season ticket to Mrs T. For my own ST I received a £437 credit and will pay only £212 for next season. For Mrs T's ST, I received a refund of £437 and will be charged the full amount next season. I thought that was a bit weird at the time until I had it patiently explained to me.

So far so good. I have registered my son and one of my brothers as potential recipients of my second ticket when Mrs T can't attend.

The club have done an excellent job as far as I can see :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, as have I. It’s the norm at cricket. We have taken alcoholic picnics to Arundel and Colchester in recent years. There are restrictions on quantity but I guess the cricket clubs are comfortable with their regulations. It doesn’t mean the Albion have to do the same though.

I love a decent cricket picnic................also likely to be at the cricket for the whole day, not just a couple of hours so not really comparable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[SUB][/SUB]
As we approach page 60 there are a fair few posters who think they could have come up with a better system. Most of them have been beaten back by Dazza!

I think it’s pretty good (and arguably pretty generous in the circumstances). Only weakness for me is the complete lack of being able to do an occasional upgrade to an adult ticket to a non-member and the empty seats this will lead to.....

Be interesting to see what happens after next season

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Apart from it not being in the spirit of having an ST as it is now the club is required to know for test and trace purposes exactly who is in the stadium. If 3 people shared one ST there would have to be copies of the ticket for all three otherwise noone would know which individual was present.

The sharing of season tickets prohibition is old hat and is commercially self defeating. The club have seen this hence they have started moves to allow it by the paying of £25. Look at it logically. Season tickets will soon be on people's phones, possibly with covid status of the individual confirmed by an app. Tracking technology, apps and or something similar can/will be used to verify who is in the ground and possibly even exactly where people are in a ground. The idea that "one person per season ticket" is still needed for security reason is as old hat as soldiers carrying swords. Just as a small example, in China, a friend of mine was asked to pay for something using not a credit card, or a phone app but eye recognition technology. Football clubs are already working out what technology they will be using going forward. So what is the upside of allowing people to share season tickets? More different people with a share of season tickets, more different people through the gate and commercially speaking, that results in larger advertising revenue and the like. The Albion have already worked that out (hence the £25 change to the rules to allow sharing). In a few years time, sharing season tickets will I expect be actively advertised up and down the country, so let's just get on with it and get ahead of the curve.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Anyone without an NFC chip phone (one which can handle Apple Pay / Google Pay), will need to opt for the 'Print At Home' ticket option. So basically printing a ticket for each game.

I think the oldest iPhones to have the NFC chips are the iPhone 6 and newer.

https://tickets.brightonandhovealbion.com/screenloader.aspx?type=include&page=custom/documents/html/NFCHelp.html

Print at home is an interesting alternative how many people actually own a printer nowadays.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The sharing of season tickets prohibition is old hat and is commercially self defeating. The club have seen this hence they have started moves to allow it by the paying of £25. Look at it logically. Season tickets will soon be on people's phones, possibly with covid status of the individual confirmed by an app. Tracking technology, apps and or something similar can/will be used to verify who is in the ground and possibly even exactly where people are in a ground. The idea that "one person per season ticket" is still needed for security reason is as old hat as soldiers carrying swords. Just as a small example, in China, a friend of mine was asked to pay for something using not a credit card, or a phone app but eye recognition technology. Football clubs are already working out what technology they will be using going forward. So what is the upside of allowing people to share season tickets? More different people with a share of season tickets, more different people through the gate and commercially speaking, that results in larger advertising revenue and the like. The Albion have already worked that out (hence the £25 change to the rules to allow sharing). In a few years time, sharing season tickets will I expect be actively advertised up and down the country, so let's just get on with it and get ahead of the curve.

Upon what actual evidence are you basing this view ? The club have made it quite clear that ticket sharing is for the 2021/22 season only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Print at home is an interesting alternative how many people actually own a printer nowadays.

You don’t literally need to print the ticket. You just need to present the bar code in the ticket to the scanner, I have done this from my phone. Maybe utilise a friend with a phone if you can’t find a printer? Failing this arrange for a ticket collection at the ground.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Upon what actual evidence are you basing this view ? The club have made it quite clear that ticket sharing is for the 2021/22 season only.

I know first hand that the football industry (there are a few different stakeholders, not just clubs) are looking at the use of technology such as testing, apps and the like to get fans back in the ground should it be needed. As a part of that, I know season tickets in wallets are already shortly something for a museum, or will be incorporated as a bit of marketing only. It's a question of what technology is chosen, what requirements on the tracing can/should be used, and then the roll out. For example, eye recognition technology is something used in China but in the UK, people might have concerns, so season tickets will probably start being put on phones. The security reason for knowing who gets access to the ground for "one person per ticket" is as old fashioned as using cash. Nothing wrong with it, but the world is moving on. The commercial benefit is then self evident. The Albion have around 25,000 season ticket holders on their database. If they can up that to say an average of 2 season ticket holders per seat, then they have overnight doubled the customers for potential advertisers plus commercially valuable data on double the amount of people.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I know first hand that the football industry (there are a few different stakeholders, not just clubs) are looking at the use of technology such as testing, apps and the like to get fans back in the ground should it be needed. As a part of that, I know season tickets in wallets are already shortly something for a museum, or will be incorporated as a bit of marketing only. It's a question of what technology is chosen, what requirements on the tracing can/should be used, and then the roll out. For example, eye recognition technology is something used in China but in the UK, people might have concerns, so season tickets will probably start being put on phones. The security reason for knowing who gets access to the ground for "one person per ticket" is as old fashioned as using cash. Nothing wrong with it, but the world is moving on. The commercial benefit is then self evident. The Albion have around 25,000 season ticket holders on their database. If they can up that to say an average of 2 season ticket holders per seat, then they have overnight doubled the customers for potential advertisers plus commercially valuable data on double the amount of people.

So you are envisaging maximum return from this venture being when there are 19 season ticket holders per season ticket ? Sorry, but in terms of advertising revenue that is a drop in the ocean compared to the global televised audience. Commercially it doesn’t matter to clubs or advertisers whether a few people share a season ticket. It is though entirely contrary to the spirit in which they are sold and potentially contributes to a closed shop that deters new season ticket holders. The club wants the right to market season tickets and does not want to sublet it to you to pass on to your mates. That is why they have said ticket sharing is a one off offer post Covid. The rest of your argument sounds like you are talking your book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here