Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Royal Concert - Is there one single act you are looking forward to seeing ?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Is it just me, or am I the only one who thought it was crap, apart from (soundwise) Kylie and Robbie Williams? Not my style for one minute, but at least they could sing.....all the so-called 'legends' have problems with their voices.........thought Joanne Shaw Taylor was good on guitar with Annie Lennox.........but you can keep Cliff, Elton, Tom , Shirley and Paul....thought it was rude cutting Rolf off in his prime as well !

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I had no interest in it but ended up loving it. Superb.
Nice mix of music and some very amusing mc's.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"I see Stevie Wonder sang "Happy Birthday" at the Queen's Jubliee Concert. Guess he must have misread the invitation"

:lolol: :bowdown: Wonderful.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Is it just me, or am I the only one who thought it was crap, apart from (soundwise) Kylie and Robbie Williams? Not my style for one minute, but at least they could sing.....all the so-called 'legends' have problems with their voices.........thought Joanne Shaw Taylor was good on guitar with Annie Lennox.........but you can keep Cliff, Elton, Tom , Shirley and Paul....thought it was rude cutting Rolf off in his prime as well !

I think the line up was appropriate for a diamond jubilee - but I do agree that artists need to grow old gracefully
I remember seeing tony Bennett on tv not so long ago and he sounded terrible, it was very sad and I just couldn't understand why he was still performing

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Very much a very proud Brit what a fantastic country we live in, really there is no way any other countries have anything like this weekend.

Of course they do. Dear or dear.

As if we are the only country in the world that has a patriotic party every now and then. You should get out more.

I missed it all, on account of spending the evening at an excellent village event, followed by a very fine beacon lighting and fireworks display on top of Firle Beacon.

Real people having a bloody good time. One highlight was a live rendition of Sussex By The Sea, led by the guy who first appointed me to a job at East Sussex County Council, back in 1976.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Real people having a bloody good time. One highlight was a live rendition of Sussex By The Sea, led by the guy who first appointed me to a job at East Sussex County Council, back in 1976.

Exactly, same in Burwash yesterday. I assume they lit the beacon tonight.

Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I missed it all, on account of spending the evening at an excellent village event, followed by a very fine beacon lighting and fireworks display on top of Firle Beacon.

So the thousands of people at the Jubilee weren't "real" people? Your night sounds a right barrell of laughs by the way......

So the thousands of people at the Jubilee weren't "real" people? Your night sounds a right barrell of laughs by the way......
I'm not saying that at all. I just prefer going out to staying in and watching the telly.

What's not to enjoy about being in the fresh air with lots of friends and neighbours?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm not saying that at all. I just prefer going out to staying in and watching the telly.

What's not to enjoy about being in the fresh air with lots of friends and neighbours?

Generally speaking mixing with loads of other human beings is not my cup of tea. I have a small but loyal group of friends and family and I like it like that. The thought of milling around Pall Mall with 1 000 000 others is my idea of hell so to watch it on tv with a drink in the dry is a sensible option for me.

REAL is not always enjoyable.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sat and watched large chunks of it last night. God knows why. Accuse me of being a miserablist if you like but I thought it was very disappointing. It did demonstrate the huge gap between proper singers and reality show contestants, but also a lot of the more, er, 'mature' artistes (Cliff Richard, Elton John, Shirley Bassey, Paul McCartney and Annie Lennox) demonstrated that sadly their best performing days are long gone. The Jones twins (Tom and Grace) did ok though.

Felt sorry for the Queen. Music used to be the one thing we did really well in Britain, I'm sure we could have found some better performers with better songs - and kept them all British.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
"I see Stevie Wonder sang "Happy Birthday" at the Queen's Jubliee Concert. Guess he must have misread the invitation"

:lolol: :bowdown: Wonderful.
And the 'highly talented' WillIAm shouting 'happy birthday your highness'.......marvellous.

:lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sat and watched large chunks of it last night. God knows why. Accuse me of being a miserablist if you like but I thought it was very disappointing. It did demonstrate the huge gap between proper singers and reality show contestants, but also a lot of the more, er, 'mature' artistes (Cliff Richard, Elton John, Shirley Bassey, Paul McCartney and Annie Lennox) demonstrated that sadly their best performing days are long gone. The Jones twins (Tom and Grace) did ok though.

Felt sorry for the Queen. Music used to be the one thing we did really well in Britain, I'm sure we could have found some better performers with better songs - and kept them all British.
Some of the singing was terrible......Stevie Wonder was the best, even though he thought it was the Queens birthday.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

There are some fantastic British bands but most aren't middle of the road crap like last nights lot and wouldn't have appealed to that audience.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Generally speaking mixing with loads of other human beings is not my cup of tea. I have a small but loyal group of friends and family and I like it like that. The thought of milling around Pall Mall with 1 000 000 others is my idea of hell so to watch it on tv with a drink in the dry is a sensible option for me.

What did they do in Pall Mall last night?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here