Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The roar that came up when Harley was subbed off...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Shit tommy Fraser, you're just a shit tommy Fraser......

:lolol: That is such a brilliant chant. Incredibly harsh, but that's kind of the point.

For what it's worth, I think Harley would have changed all opinion of him against Burnley, but alas, it wasn't to be. He did more in that 5 minutes of 11 vs 11 than he has done in the rest of his career with us combined. But it's early days, he clearly has talent, he just needs to learn how to use it. We'll be fine.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Harley played ok first half - especially with the little through pass that almost brought a goal. Anonymous second half like a lot of the team. That cheer was a disgrace.

Likewise, Paynter wasn't exactly brilliant but didn't he flick the ball on to put CMS 1 on 1? Possibly mistaken on that. Also, in the 2nd half he brought the ball down very neatly from a long drop kick and played it wide to Lua Lua - one moment which showed why we desperately need someone of his ilk up front as there's nobody else in the squad capable of linking play with their back to goal. He's not doing it enough granted but unless we can find someone better - and more to the point afford them - people should get off his back.

As for the 'super billy Paynter' chant .. After hearing people shouting at him to 'f*** off' at Reading, it could only really be received as sarcasm unfortunately. I wonder whether these were some of the same people who were telling Murray to 'f*** off' a couple of seasons ago but now hold him up as some sort of messiah and all but claiming we'd already have been promoted if he hadn't gone to Palace.

Very poor performance overall today - albeit with severely stretched resources. However, if some of our players are looking like League One is their level, then you could also point out that a damn sight more of our fans would only cut it in the Sunday League in terms of support and knowledge of the game.

Nice and respected post as always

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Embarrassing, supposed to support your own players.

Club definitely, team almost certainly, players ... it depends.

Have to admit I was pleased he was going off.

Flair

Flairniac
Sep 1, 2010
I didn't see or hear the abuse that you mentioned, maybe because i was at the back making a lot of noise for our team, and not slagging them off. In fact we were singing "super Billy Paynter" trying to show him some support on the hope it would boost his confidence. Obviously that didn't bloody work

I heard that mate and joined in, that was when the guy along from me decided to sing 'f*** off back to leeds' in response...

bhaEB7

Mar 9, 2011
Embarrassing, supposed to support your own players.

Correct however harley is the type of player that is exempt from this rule . I'm not a fan of either paynter or harley however but to me it is clear that paynter does try and harley couldn't give a shit, also saw him smoking at derby , what sort of proffesional footballer does that he can't be bothered and doesn't give a shit and that is why I jeered him off. I have not problem with paynter as he tries and think you are correct when you say we should support our team but I'm not going to support somebody who quite frankly doesn't give a shit . RANT OVER

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I don't subscribe to the blinkered support your players at all costs theory but it does seem to me that Harley has been singled out for vitriol, purely because of the type of player he is. He is no worse than say Navarro or Sparrow but when they make an error we are far more forgiving. It's perfectly acceptable to let the team know our feelings but to
single out one player for what is essentially a perceived lack of effort is not right in my book

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't subscribe to the blinkered support your players at all costs theory but it does seem to me that Harley has been singled out for vitriol, purely because of the type of player he is. He is no worse than say Navarro or Sparrow but when they make an error we are far more forgiving. It's perfectly acceptable to let the team know our feelings but to
single out one player for what is essentially a perceived lack of effort is not right in my book

I'm surprised at anyone defending a player who is not giving it his all ... and you certainly acknowledge that. I would single him out for being useless and seemingly not being too bothered. Like others on here I have never attacked a player before but this guy is costing us I reckon

The difference (for me) with Spaz and Nav's is not only can you see them applying themselves but more that they were never meant to be regular starters I don't think. Gus brought in Harley and Vicente plus Bridcutt was so well established that these 2 were only ever going to be back ups. As it happens we've had to rely on them more than intended I think

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To be a bit controversial, Jake F-C didn't improve things and we might just as well have kept Harley on.

Don't agree with that. For a start he won two tackles in twenty minutes. Two more than Harley did in 70 minutes.

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Another thread directed at a player :yawn::yawn:

If these players are not good enough to play for us in the championship thats not their fault.

The players don`t pick the team nor bring players to the club it`s the manager that does that so maybe some of this should be directed towards the management.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Don't agree with that. For a start he won two tackles in twenty minutes. Two more than Harley did in 70 minutes.

Blimey ... for those of us that are criticising Harley we're being told to give him time. He's had a dozen or more games to prove himself ... JFC has had 25 mins, perhaps ureasonable to expect too much?

Another thread directed at a player :yawn::yawn:

If these players are not good enough to play for us in the championship thats not their fault.

It's not and why I'll not criticise ability other than they had a poor game or whatever. Being pedestrian and careless isn't about ability though

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Harley is blatantly low on confidence and shows our only current hope at creativity. First half yesterday he and Sparrow looked creative but getting on his back seems to have a negative effect. As he's all we have right now - perhaps we should direct some belief in him and at least see if that helps.

I thought Harley did OK today, was one of our better players. I also thought the roar was more for JFC coming on.

Agreed. I thought Harley and Nooney worked really well down the left in the first half. Harley got into some really good positions (sometimes let down by his distribution) but was not supported properly by the rest of the midfield who left large gaps to be exploited (first goal springs to mind).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Russ thought the "Super Billy Paynter" chant was embarrassing and assumed it was a joke to start off with but some fans were being serious made it even more cringe-worthy.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Me and the people around me were certainly cheering/roaring at the fact JFC was being given his league debut?

Well if the was roar really was for JFC making his debut, it goes to show how FEW people were at the home game to Yeovil in 2010!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Well if the was roar really was for JFC making his debut, it goes to show how FEW people were at the home game to Yeovil in 2010!

I was at work at the time so it's the first time I've seen him play a League match, forgive me...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have spent shit loads goin to Boro Reading and Cov. therefore i reserve the right to slag anyone i f***ing like thank you very much.

Feb 14, 2010
Albion fans have always preferred artisans to artists, if you look at the grief that the likes of McNab, Gordon Smith, John Gregory, Andy Ritchie and others used to get in the 80's because they were ball players rather than headless chickens then things have changed little since those days.

In an ideal world we would have a team of 11 Alex Revells, win the league, but then play the same opposition every season because as soon as we come up against bigger, smarter, more experienced opposition at this level we inevitably struggle, and said fans think we have a divine right to win every week, regardless of budget, experience, injuries, suspensions etc.

You do believe the rubbish that the press tell you. Dont tell me those wonderful scousers however like proper footballers.. even tho Liverpool won many games in the 80s 1-0 after an iffy penalty. As for Brighton, I seem to recall a bloke called Peter Ward being a bit popular, as was a certain Gary Nelson. The difference betwen Brighton and say a Newcastle is that Brighton fans have humopur, and enjoy taking the piss out of our side unlike Newcastle where the pride themselves on over the top blind passion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here