Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The roar that came up when Harley was subbed off...

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I agree with this but also have to agree with Rev that none of these 3 are up to it but giving abuse is just wrong .. I'm sure they are giving their best

I think the problem is, that Harley and Paynter don't seem to put that much effort in, compared to someone like CMS who gets forgiven his poor efforts because he is working his socks off.

If you are very good you may get away with being lazy, but to be lazy whilst average in a team struggling is not going to get fans onside.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It was the fans' last chance to give Gus some feedback about Harley before the window opens, and it was an unquestionable cheer when the 17 went up.

the bloke has had plenty of chances this year, the guy is slow on the ball, a slow thinker, lazy, and well, today his dead balls were dreadful, must have taken 12 free kicks and half a dozen corners and not one of them landed anywhere near a dangerous place.

he started with us with that wonder goal free kick, but since then he has earned his own reputation through consistently sh1t performances. Goodbye, and thanks for nothing. We have no room for talentless sh1t, let alone lazy disinterested talentless sh1t.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion fans have always preferred artisans to artists, if you look at the grief that the likes of McNab, Gordon Smith, John Gregory, Andy Ritchie and others used to get in the 80's because they were ball players rather than headless chickens then things have changed little since those days.

In an ideal world we would have a team of 11 Alex Revells, win the league, but then play the same opposition every season because as soon as we come up against bigger, smarter, more experienced opposition at this level we inevitably struggle, and said fans think we have a divine right to win every week, regardless of budget, experience, injuries, suspensions etc.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think in part that was due to the long overdue fact that JFC was coming on as opposed to Harley coming off and people will know im not his biggest fan.

Today tho we could have had Dean Cox taking our corners and free kicks. If we signed him for his "set pieces" then we are in trouble.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Albion fans have always preferred artisans to artists

Don't disagree with that .. problem is this bloke is neither ... still I don't agree with the barracking even though I do see a point in what seagullwedgee is saying, just that I wouldn't join in

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't disagree with that .. problem is this bloke is neither ... still I don't agree with the barracking even though I do see a point in what seagullwedgee is saying, just that I wouldn't join in

IMO he is a good player, glides past opponents, takes up intelligent positions, has a good right foot on him, BUT.........................perhaps he is not what we need at present.

A decent set of fans might give him a bit of time and not make very quick judgements, just look at the abuse heaped on Craig Davies by the 'experts' who currently has scored more goals than any of our big money signings.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
IMO he is a good player, glides past opponents, takes up intelligent positions, has a good right foot on him, BUT.........................perhaps he is not what we need at present.

A decent set of fans might give him a bit of time and not make very quick judgements, just look at the abuse heaped on Craig Davies by the 'experts' who currently has scored more goals than any of our big money signings.

I disagree but even if you're right, the team isn't set up for that (actually I'm not entirely sure what we're set up for) maybe what you're saying. I think he's had more than enough time to impose himself ... but sure he'll start against S'ton so maybe that's the time he'll rise to the occassion.

Off out, HNY everyone

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I agree with this but also have to agree with Rev that none of these 3 are up to it but giving abuse is just wrong .. I'm sure they are giving their best

Maybe..but the problem is that their best is nowhere near good enough.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No good anyone denying it, that roar was definitely for Harley coming off.

By way of balance though. Don't forget that up at the back there was rousing chants of - "Super Billy Paynter". This wasn't a few clever dicks trying to be ironic either, it was a genuine attempt to get behind him and offer him some support. :clap2:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Embarrassing, supposed to support your own players.

Do shut up.

Harley has been utter toilet, and I for one was on feet applauding him coming off.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I thought the treatment of Harley and Paynter by some of the blokes behind me was a disgrace. Why they felt the urge to do a 300 mile round trip to insult members of their own team is beyond me.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
No good anyone denying it, that roar was definitely for Harley coming off.

By way of balance though. Don't forget that up at the back there was rousing chants of - "Super Billy Paynter". This wasn't a few clever dicks trying to be ironic either, it was a genuine attempt to get behind him and offer him some support. :clap2:

yep,we tried but it didn't seem to help.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
So all the people criticising the midfield today - who would you have played we simply don't have the players available at this moment in time, I agree that Harley looks a luxury we simply can't afford at the moment but we don't have the alternatives and don't tell me we could have played 3 wingers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
yep,we tried but it didn't seem to help.

No,no it didn't :lol: But the intent was there from quite a large section of fans and that's worth noting on here alongside all the negative drivel that regularly gets trotted out.

:albion:

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
And for the record i don't think any of the 3 central midfielders we played today are good enough for this league but shouting abuse at our own players won't help.

Same with Paynter, someone near me started a f*** off back to leeds chant.... And when he miscontrolled the ball in the second half, ok it was a very poor touch but people were bounding down the steps just to shout abuse at the guy...

I didn't see or hear the abuse that you mentioned, maybe because i was at the back making a lot of noise for our team, and not slagging them off. In fact we were singing "super Billy Paynter" trying to show him some support on the hope it would boost his confidence. Obviously that didn't bloody work

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Harley played ok first half - especially with the little through pass that almost brought a goal. Anonymous second half like a lot of the team. That cheer was a disgrace.

Likewise, Paynter wasn't exactly brilliant but didn't he flick the ball on to put CMS 1 on 1? Possibly mistaken on that. Also, in the 2nd half he brought the ball down very neatly from a long drop kick and played it wide to Lua Lua - one moment which showed why we desperately need someone of his ilk up front as there's nobody else in the squad capable of linking play with their back to goal. He's not doing it enough granted but unless we can find someone better - and more to the point afford them - people should get off his back.

As for the 'super billy Paynter' chant .. After hearing people shouting at him to 'f*** off' at Reading, it could only really be received as sarcasm unfortunately. I wonder whether these were some of the same people who were telling Murray to 'f*** off' a couple of seasons ago but now hold him up as some sort of messiah and all but claiming we'd already have been promoted if he hadn't gone to Palace.

Very poor performance overall today - albeit with severely stretched resources. However, if some of our players are looking like League One is their level, then you could also point out that a damn sight more of our fans would only cut it in the Sunday League in terms of support and knowledge of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here