Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ridiculous Tedious Striker Situation

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As in Ben Brereton Diaz?

You are aware that he's scored the same number of goals as Chuba Akpom (remember him?) this season and fewer than Gyokeres who struggled more than Undav here?

In fact BBD has 9 goals in 23 games at 0.41 goals per 90 mins and a goal every 220 mins. Trossard has 7 in 14 at 0.53 goals per 90 and a goal every 169 mins.
Gyokeres was still learning and now looks to have matured so might be worth a pun - give them Connolly and see if Mark Robins can work the magic on him

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Yeah Aguero was terrible as well…..

Height is a ridiculous argument.

I don't know the stats but we seem particularly week at crosses and corners suggesting we have little aerial threat, especially without Welbeck playing. Happy for a small guy as long as he leaps like a salmon. Still would prefer a 2022/23 young version of Chris Woods.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
As a club we have been active in pursuing a top striker most seasons but have refused to pay over the odds. In fact we have bid a moderate fee for a promising talent knowing there is a sensible resale value if things don't go to plan.

We are unlikely to ever break that pattern, we must pursue targets that can be sold on within 2-3 years knowing that if all goes wrong we will retain 60/70% of the initial fee

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a club we have been active in pursuing a top striker most seasons but have refused to pay over the odds. In fact we have bid a moderate fee for a promising talent knowing there is a sensible resale value if things don't go to plan.

We are unlikely to ever break that pattern, we must pursue targets that can be sold on within 2-3 years knowing that if all goes wrong we will retain 60/70% of the initial fee
Can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread. I agree with you.

Honestly, we balls up a league cup game when in the EPL top ten and its 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' all over again.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Thought Ferguson looked good when he came on last night, offered a lot more than Undav is far less time. He deserves a few games for me
I agree. He looks more promising than Undav in my view, and as we are unlikely to spend big on a striker (that's not an Albion thing), he should be given a go.

Re : Diaz - yes, I think he could do a job, but last summer when I suggested him on here as being an affordable option I literally got laughed off NSC by numerous people who disagreed. If not him, then we should go with someone like Ferguson as realistically who else is there?

PS - Where is Sima these days? Genuine question.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree. He looks more promising than Undav in my view, and as we are unlikely to spend big on a striker (that's not an Albion thing), he should be given a go.

Re : Diaz - yes, I think he could do a job, but last summer when I suggested him on here as being an affordable option I literally got laughed off NSC by numerous people who disagreed. If not him, then we should go with someone like Ferguson as realistically who else is there?

PS - Where is Sima these days? Genuine question.
Playing on loan for Angers in France. They are dead last and he's not found the goal yet in 12 appearances. But he's getting quite a bit of game time at least which is the most important thing for him after the injury ravaged season he had last year.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
If you’ve been following us that long, I’m struggling to see how you can miss that we are, currently, presently and at this moment… ‘Giving it a good go’…

You have my sympathies for not being able to enjoy this run we’re having.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread. I agree with you.

Honestly, we balls up a league cup game when in the EPL top ten and its 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' all over again.
Kind of hilarious really…….we need to buy a £60m striker so we can beat 18th place in league 1 Charlton :laugh: :laugh:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Without going big in the transfer market then breaking our salary structure, Undav is the answer.

I'll qualify that in as much as Undav is the affordable, bit of a risk whether they will be up to it or not, market we fish in for that end of the pitch.

Where we have had considerable success in spotting MacA, Caicedo, Cucu, Mitoma, Mwepu, we've not had that same nose for a striking bargain equivalent - and that is probably down to it being a far busier end of the market for scouting and interest that you have to dig a bit deeper, and take a bit more of a risk.

Is Undav the answer to us qualifying for Europe and pushing for top 7 or 8? No.

Is Undav the answer to a prudently run business seeking to operate within it's means in a sustainable financial structure, with self imposed salary limits and transfer spend - yes he is, and he is likely similar to risks we'll have to continue to take at that end of the pitch.
That’s some mighty fine poetry...

The major gripe I have with Undav, isn’t about value per say - it’s about certain key attributes... one major flaw, for PL player, of his age is his physique, he’s carrying some timber, which leads to a slight slowness in his movement, which thus far has been brutally exposed in the English game, even when playing a lower level of opposition... he’s not fat, but he’s not slim either - this is the PL we’re talking about and he’s off the pace to far too great a degree to be considered our second striker... I’d be happy if we spent a similar amount on a third option who doesn’t look like a Thomas Brolin parody, without the gifts Brolin had.

He’s been here half a season and still looks (sadly) unfit for this level... beyond that, in his limited moments, he’s not really looked dangerous... he’s not offered much, his runs might look good, but are they in reality mistimed ?

For me, he’s nowhere near the answer - but no one else ( at the club, Welbz aside) is either... I just can’t see him scoring even 5-6 a season at this level, ever really...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't know the stats but we seem particularly week at crosses and corners suggesting we have little aerial threat, especially without Welbeck playing. Happy for a small guy as long as he leaps like a salmon. Still would prefer a 2022/23 young version of Chris Woods.
Mobility is the key thing. The Toshack and Keegan style is long gone.

Welbeck despite his height misses plenty of chances in the air.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Playing on loan for Angers in France. They are dead last and he's not found the goal yet in 12 appearances. But he's getting quite a bit of game time at least which is the most important thing for him after the injury ravaged season he had last year.
I'm sure you'll know more than me about this, but based on some very occasional reading over the last few seasons I'm under the impression that even when Angers have been decent they've been dour and gritty and generally not the sort of side you'd want to be in if you want to score goals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It is a predictable argument, that gets made when we struggle to score for a while.

It's as predictable as people coming on here and scoffing at the argument we need a striker when we put five past leicester, or put 4 past Chelsea, then 3 past both Arsenal and Wolves.

I don't think the problem is the striker. We can score goals. The problem, for me, is that we can only do that if the team is either in disarray (eg man u, leicester), or have a habit of trying to play football/believe they can beat us by playing on the front foot (arsenal, liverpool, chelsea). If teams decide they are going to put some effort and discipline into defending, we struggle. We're too slow to see a pass or too slow to assess it and decide to take it, giving defenders a chance to get back into position.or we lack creativity to get around blocks. If you put a bit of effort and discipline into defending against us, you're halfway to a win. Even if you're a league one club.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Did you miss the part where I said this will probably change this season or did you choose not to read it? I've got no issue with the midfield anymore. Problem was always them not contributing enough goals, thats been different this season. And the bollocks is saying these players will cost us £60, £70 million. They don't. Trossard was like €18M and has consistently been one of our best attacking threats for years
Ok so for starters you have chosen to ignore the fact that Trossard has been playing far more as a forward than a midfielder this season, then of course you are ignoring the fact that whoever comes to poach him in January or maybe in the off season will be paying a shit-ton more than 18m pounds and then the team he goes to is not guaranteed of success. Hey even 100m and you can get a dud, just ask City, Grealish got 3 in 26 games last season. You are also ignoring the fact that for 18m Trossard was not fully developed and still has room to grow and improve, just like the other young forwards in our squad. When you look at the teams with fully fledged capped forwards they have spent an absolute mint to buy them and keep them. It is vital that we keep the talent we develop, but that is bloody hard given the money and prospective success that gets flung at them

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
Our midfielders have been scoring for fun. This old badger reappears after we lose to Charlton in the league cup.
Read the thread- we’re talking about the need for strikers- where has it been mentioned about our midfielders not scoring?

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
It is a predictable argument, that gets made when we struggle to score for a while.

It's as predictable as people coming on here and scoffing at the argument we need a striker when we put five past leicester, or put 4 past Chelsea, then 3 past both Arsenal and Wolves.

I don't think the problem is the striker. We can score goals. The problem, for me, is that we can only do that if the team is either in disarray (eg man u, leicester), or have a habit of trying to play football/believe they can beat us by playing on the front foot (arsenal, liverpool, chelsea). If teams decide they are going to put some effort and discipline into defending, we struggle. We're too slow to see a pass or too slow to assess it and decide to take it, giving defenders a chance to get back into position.or we lack creativity to get around blocks. If you put a bit of effort and discipline into defending against us, you're halfway to a win. Even if you're a league one club.
“If teams decide they are going to put some effort and discipline into defending, we struggle” & “ If you put a bit of effort and dicipline into defending against us, your halfway to a win” - you just put in an excellent case forward for the NEED of a proper striker or two.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Ok so for starters you have chosen to ignore the fact that Trossard has been playing far more as a forward than a midfielder this season, then of course you are ignoring the fact that whoever comes to poach him in January or maybe in the off season will be paying a shit-ton more than 18m pounds and then the team he goes to is not guaranteed of success. Hey even 100m and you can get a dud, just ask City, Grealish got 3 in 26 games last season. You are also ignoring the fact that for 18m Trossard was not fully developed and still has room to grow and improve, just like the other young forwards in our squad. When you look at the teams with fully fledged capped forwards they have spent an absolute mint to buy them and keep them. It is vital that we keep the talent we develop, but that is bloody hard given the money and prospective success that gets flung at them
we can argue the semantics of where trossard plays as people have done season after season but ultimately our out-and-out strikers have scored zero goals this season. also, yes he's taken a while to reach this sort of form, but you could clearly see his talent from the outset when he scored twice on his debut (one being disallowed for a toenail offside). obviously paying massive fees doesn't guarantee success, but you'll be able to find about fifty shite 5 million signings for every one 50+ million flop. It's no exact science but generally better players cost more. I don't disagree with any of the last part of that post, and nowhere have I suggested that we abandon the strategy of buying young and developing, but that also need to be supplemented with players who have established themselves already in Europe. Undav looked like that guy at the time, now he doesn't, so be it. But nowhere in any of that do you disprove what I said, which was we don't have to spend 70 million to find a player who would score more than the zero goals our strikers have managed so far. I didn't say that we need rid of them, I didn't say that we need someone who is blatantly above our level and I didn't say that we aren't going to develop some fine forwards from the younger players we currently have. Just currently, if we are actually interested in improving our front line, that may cost £15 million rather than 5. But of course, that is for the recruitment team to judge, not you and I

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
“If teams decide they are going to put some effort and discipline into defending, we struggle” & “ If you put a bit of effort and dicipline into defending against us, your halfway to a win” - you just put in an excellent case forward for the NEED of a proper striker or two.
"we put five past leicester, or put 4 past Chelsea, then 3 past both Arsenal and Wolves" I also put forward an argument for not needing a striker. IT's the breaking down of a stout defence we struggle with - that is the responsibility of the whole team, not just the strikers, but the midfield/wingers/attackers for breaking it down from close range, and the defence for spotting, and executing, longer ball options for breaking them down.

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
"we put five past leicester, or put 4 past Chelsea, then 3 past both Arsenal and Wolves" I also put forward an argument for not needing a striker. IT's the breaking down of a stout defence we struggle with - that is the responsibility of the whole team, not just the strikers, but the midfield/wingers/attackers for breaking it down from close range, and the defence for spotting, and executing, longer ball options for breaking them down.
But you just said we only did that because the teams like Leicester were in disarray. I see what your saying, but let’s face it- a Striker would make life much more difficult for the opposition defence. Charlton had a great time last night at the back, they enjoyed themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here