[Albion] The Ridiculous Tedious Striker Situation

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, Diaz would be my choice too. Exactly what we need
People saying ‘where do these strikers come from’ simply need to look around teams at our level. Top end championship strikers can and will score 10-15 goals a season. We had it with Murray and to a slightly lesser extent Maupay. Look at last season tops scorers, when you remove the big hitters many of them came from championship level, Watkins, Pukki, Bowen, Ivan Toney.

So let’s go get Diaz or someone else at that level. I guarantee, 100% they will score more than the 0 league goals Welbeck and Undav have managed.
As in Ben Brereton Diaz?

You are aware that he's scored the same number of goals as Chuba Akpom (remember him?) this season and fewer than Gyokeres who struggled more than Undav here?

In fact BBD has 9 goals in 23 games at 0.41 goals per 90 mins and a goal every 220 mins. Trossard has 7 in 14 at 0.53 goals per 90 and a goal every 169 mins.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The new factor at play is we are pulling in decent money from transfers. I accept that the Ben White, Burn, Bissouma and Cucurella monies helped plugged the Covid losses gap, but moving forward when the likes of Trossard and Caicedo inevitably leave we will be able to buy players without having to get Bloom to fund the difference.

Wages will always be a factor, although this can be mitigated if you can acquire a player for a low transfer fee if they are nearing the end of their contract.
That’s my thinking.

A couple more huge incoming fees, in a non-pandemic financial environment and the club may up the ante on the package they’re prepared to fund for a goal-scoring forward/striker.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
since Hughton left we've had a player get into double figures once. ONCE. that will probably change this season, but having someone just to get around 12 goals would be more than enough.
I don't get what all the bollocks is about. Sure we don't have Haaland, Kane, Mitrovic, Toney, Rodrigo or Salah, oh hang on Trossard is doing better than Salah, has the same number as Fodin, Firmino and Maddsion and unlike Mitrovic and Toney non have come from penalties. Oh and as for getting more than 12 in a season he is on 7 after 14 games. Oh and then we have Groß who is doing better than Saka and Rashford.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't get what all the bollocks is about. Sure we don't have Haaland, Kane, Mitrovic, Toney, Rodrigo or Salah, oh hang on Trossard is doing better than Salah, has the same number as Fodin, Firmino and Maddsion and unlike Mitrovic and Toney non have come from penalties. Oh and as for getting more than 12 in a season he is on 7 after 14 games. Oh and then we have Groß who is doing better than Saka and Rashford.
:lolol:

Stop spoiling the sulking with your FACTS.

:moo:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Not that simple, as we have a wage structure. If we break it, then every player will ask for that going forward.

We in theory could afford to pay £40m for a striker. Just not the contract that comes with it.
Depends on the player. Callum Wilson is on a reported £47K per week. Or half an Adam Lallana if you trust the reported figures: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brighton-hove-albion/payroll/. Joelinton (a 40M striker) is on a reported £86K a week! I fail to believe there isn’t a striker out there that fits our wage structure and will improve our squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ironically he scored a late late winner yesterday - from the penalty spot ! Boy - we could have done with him , rather than March, yesterday evening.
Or Gross / Trossard

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As in Ben Brereton Diaz?

You are aware that he's scored the same number of goals as Chuba Akpom (remember him?) this season and fewer than Gyokeres who struggled more than Undav here?

In fact BBD has 9 goals in 23 games at 0.41 goals per 90 mins and a goal every 220 mins. Trossard has 7 in 14 at 0.53 goals per 90 and a goal every 169 mins.
Yeah I don't really get the hype surrounding this slightly above average-Championship striker.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As in Ben Brereton Diaz?

"Gyokeres who struggled more than Undav here??"

Are you referring to the Gyokeres who had fewer chances here than Undav has had already?

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
As in Ben Brereton Diaz?

Way OTT with the stats there mate. BBD will offer us a lot, will suit our play and put the ball in the back of the net. He is only 23, fantastic physical presence and will link up well with out AT Midfielders.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Way OTT with the stats there mate. BBD will offer us a lot, will suit our play and put the ball in the back of the net. He is only 23, fantastic physical presence and will link up well with out AT Midfielders.
So why did no one buy him last December or in the summer ? There didn’t even appear to be any serious bids.

Good championship player , but not convinced he’s a top half premier league striker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here