Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ridiculous Tedious Striker Situation

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
So why did no one buy him last December or in the summer ? There didn’t even appear to be any serious bids.

Good championship player , but not convinced he’s a top half premier league striker
Injured back end of last season

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Way OTT with the stats there mate. BBD will offer us a lot, will suit our play and put the ball in the back of the net. He is only 23, fantastic physical presence and will link up well with out AT Midfielders.
The stats show he's no better than some pretty average players who no one would really want in a top ten Premier League squad. And you'd probably be the first on here moaning if we signed him and he didn't score in his first game.

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
The stats show he's no better than some pretty average players who no one would really want in a top ten Premier League squad. And you'd probably be the first on here moaning if we signed him and he didn't score in his first game.
You don't sign players based on Wiki Stats, how old are you, 10? Undav's stats last season was really good from USG and he is one of the crappest strikers I have ever seen play for the club, and that included watching Peter Smith have a go up top in 96 at Northampton. Why do I think Undav is crap? because he lacks ability, I don't look at his stats for accuracy. Just look at the guy - he is far too small to be decent striker at this level, for what we need.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You don't sign players based on Wiki Stats, how old are you, 10? Undav's stats last season was really good from USG and he is one of the crappest strikers I have ever seen play for the club, and that included watching Peter Smith have a go up top in 96 at Northampton. Why do I think Undav is crap? because he lacks ability, I don't look at his stats for accuracy. Just look at the guy - he is far too small to be decent striker at this level, for what we need.
And now we're there. This isn't really "sign Diaz". It's "I hate Undav". Just like your last thread on exactly the same subject :rolleyes:

"I hate Undav" doesn't take into account how many goals we've scored this season from different areas of the pitch. It's just a toddler rant.

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
And now we're there. This isn't really "sign Diaz". It's "I hate Undav". Just like your last thread on exactly the same subject :rolleyes:
not at all - but im making a point about Stats, and im explaining using Undav as an example of good stats, pants player

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Depends on the player. Callum Wilson is on a reported £47K per week. Or half an Adam Lallana if you trust the reported figures: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brighton-hove-albion/payroll/. Joelinton (a 40M striker) is on a reported £86K a week! I fail to believe there isn’t a striker out there that fits our wage structure and will improve our squad.

He was on more than £70k per week (Source: The Athletic) until he signed a new contract a couple of months back.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I don't get what all the bollocks is about. Sure we don't have Haaland, Kane, Mitrovic, Toney, Rodrigo or Salah, oh hang on Trossard is doing better than Salah, has the same number as Fodin, Firmino and Maddsion and unlike Mitrovic and Toney non have come from penalties. Oh and as for getting more than 12 in a season he is on 7 after 14 games. Oh and then we have Groß who is doing better than Saka and Rashford.
Did you miss the part where I said this will probably change this season or did you choose not to read it? I've got no issue with the midfield anymore. Problem was always them not contributing enough goals, thats been different this season. And the bollocks is saying these players will cost us £60, £70 million. They don't. Trossard was like €18M and has consistently been one of our best attacking threats for years

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are not going to buy one.

Get over it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did you miss the part where I said this will probably change this season or did you choose not to read it? I've got no issue with the midfield anymore. Problem was always them not contributing enough goals, thats been different this season. And the bollocks is saying these players will cost us £60, £70 million. They don't. Trossard was like €18M and has consistently been one of our best attacking threats for years
Its just a lot more difficult to find a good enough striker nowadays when most teams play one up front:
1. It means that less number of strikers get produced.
2. It also means that a striker needs to be able to do everything because there's no other bloke up front to compensate for the weaknesses of whoever you want to sign.
Usually having a false nine (like Tross) or a decent all-round striker (like Welbeck) is as good as it gets unless you can get hold of one of the five or six strikers produced every year that would make a big impact on a top 10 PL side... which is of course a bit of a struggle because there will always be a lot of competition for those players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Its just a lot more difficult to find a good enough striker nowadays when most teams play one up front:
2. It also means that a striker needs to be able to do everything because there's no other bloke up front to compensate for the weaknesses of whoever you want to sign.
Usually having a false nine (like Tross) or a decent all-round striker (like Welbeck) is as good as it gets unless you can get hold of one of the five or six strikers produced every year that would make a big impact on a top 10 PL side... which is of course a bit of a struggle because there will always be a lot of competition for those players.
And we potentially have players waiting in the wings for those positions. Adringa could be the next Trossard if the latter moves on. Evan Ferguson is learning his strike craft from ex England international Danny Welbeck and his professionalism from Adam Lallana. Sima doesn't seem to be tearing up trees at Angers but he's only 21. It's quite possible the next attacking options in line are already owned by the club.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
Hey, I'm not saying its an easy task, particularly since the striker market at the moment hasn't seen as many quality 'no. 9s' come off the production line, as you say.

I actually don't mind what kind of forward we're looking for, I just think having someone else contributing a few goals rather than zero would make a lot of difference. Obviously its not a crisis, we're doing very well now, I just think that IF we were interested in upgrading an area of the team, that's the area to do it, and also that those players, while they may cost a fair bit, aren't necessarily going to cost the ridiculous figures some have been suggesting.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The stats show he's no better than some pretty average players who no one would really want in a top ten Premier League squad. And you'd probably be the first on here moaning if we signed him and he didn't score a hatrick in his first game.
Edited for you

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hey, I'm not saying its an easy task, particularly since the striker market at the moment hasn't seen as many quality 'no. 9s' come off the production line, as you say.

I actually don't mind what kind of forward we're looking for, I just think having someone else contributing a few goals rather than zero would make a lot of difference. Obviously its not a crisis, we're doing very well now, I just think that IF we were interested in upgrading an area of the team, that's the area to do it, and also that those players, while they may cost a fair bit, aren't necessarily going to cost the ridiculous figures some have been suggesting.
Not saying there isn't room for improvement but Welbeck is a player who would usually contribute "a few goals". Yes, 1000 minutes without a goal is weak but many good players have had droughts as bad or worse... Shearer, Rooney, Giroud - all of them have had worse droughts than Danny. It happens. Think he'll get half a dozen until the end of the season if fit. Not great but indeed a few goals.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah Aguero was terrible as well…..

Height is a ridiculous argument.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
Not saying there isn't room for improvement but Welbeck is a player who would usually contribute "a few goals". Yes, 1000 minutes without a goal is weak but many good players have had droughts as bad or worse... Shearer, Rooney, Giroud - all of them have had worse droughts than Danny. It happens. Think he'll get half a dozen until the end of the season if fit. Not great but indeed a few goals.
Need him back on the pitch in order to do that, which is hopefully soon! Wele's game has never really been about goals, and I think it's unfair for him to shoulder the burden for the whole front line, which he would be if undav leaves and fergie goes on loan, hence I think there is a possibility of an attacking star in a reasonably-priced car appearing in Jan

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
You've been watching the Albion since '96 and you only discovered NSC in October '22? 😲
😲

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here