Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ridiculous Tedious Striker Situation

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Great performance, fantastic result. Doesn’t change my opinion that we need striker one bit. It’s not for games like this we need a different option; away from home where home team comes out and attacks us we look great. Home matches where teams sit with two banks of four and we cannot break them down I think we need a more physical option who gives us a different dynamic.
Apart from the fact we already have strikers, why would you think spending millions on a new striker could break down a low block? 🤔

I agree it’s a challenge particularly when we are dominating the possession in that situation. However, having a few good attacking fullbacks who can play high using the width of the field (especially on the opposite side of the pitch to where the ball is being played) - playing side to side with a central pivot and making overlapping connections with the defensive and attacking midfielders is the most powerful piece of armoury in that situation imo.. as well as providing behind the ball support for the inevitable counter attacks - no point lobbing crosses into the box from a wide position hoping to connect to your multi-million pound striker who has just made an inspired sprint up the pitch onto the edge of box but is now facing a wall of CDs built like shite brickhouses.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ironically. Albion have scored more goals than Manchester United and Chelsea this season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ironically. Albion have scored more goals than Manchester United and Chelsea this season.
People seem to forget scoring 5 against Leicester and 4 against Chelsea.

and I went yesterday half expecting to be disappointed, what with new manager bounce and our tendency not to beat teams we should be beating. How wrong can you be?

I was at Saints v Lincoln last week and thinking “surely we have to beat this shower”,

And then yesterday sitting with 6 Saints supporters in the Noodle bar and looking at the Team at 14.02 I changed my mind and thought “we have to win this”, and we did. And to be behind that goal when March’s screamer went in was a bit special!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apart from the fact we already have strikers, why would you think spending millions on a new striker could break down a low block? 🤔

I agree it’s a challenge particularly when we are dominating the possession in that situation. However, having a few good attacking fullbacks who can play high using the width of the field (especially on the opposite side of the pitch to where the ball is being played) - playing side to side with a central pivot and making overlapping connections with the defensive and attacking midfielders is the most powerful piece of armoury in that situation imo.. as well as providing behind the ball support for the inevitable counter attacks - no point lobbing crosses into the box from a wide position hoping to connect to your multi-million pound striker who has just made an inspired sprint up the pitch onto the edge of box but is now facing a wall of CDs built like shite brickhouses.
Tend to agree. The answer to breaking down deep-sitting defences isn’t with a “more physical option”. You need to be way more imaginative than this.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Tend to agree. The answer to breaking down deep-sitting defences isn’t with a “more physical option”. You need to be way more imaginative than this.
Totally disagree, we have tried the imaginative option, we play unbelievable football in and around the penalty area but sometimes you need an option that is combative in the area and can disrupt the well set centre halves who are happy to watch us play in front of them. Since Glenn Murray we haven’t had that option and it’s abundantly clear having it would be another weapon in our arsenal.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I thought Ferguson had a lovely little cameo yesterday and kind of showed what we are missing. Totally different threat. A 25 year old Ferguson would be great to compliment Welbeck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought Ferguson had a lovely little cameo yesterday and kind of showed what we are missing. Totally different threat. A 25 year old Ferguson would be great to compliment Welbeck.
It's just a shame so many here are steadfast in the refusal to allow him to learn how to become a Premier League centre forward.
Instead much preferring the Aaron Connolly approach to yoof development.

Fingers crossed Welbeck is back and that's the last we see of Ferguson, for at least 18 months.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Totally disagree, we have tried the imaginative option, we play unbelievable football in and around the penalty area but sometimes you need an option that is combative in the area and can disrupt the well set centre halves who are happy to watch us play in front of them. Since Glenn Murray we haven’t had that option and it’s abundantly clear having it would be another weapon in our arsenal.

Danny Welbeck has played 62 games for Brighton since Murray retired.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair enough. I just see it very differently, especially with the way we now play.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Paul Barber is addressing the problem...for 2028...

"centre-forwards scouting manager”.

Brighton have advertised the new £40,000-50,000-per-year-post, which will concentrate on development-age prospects, with the possibility of identifying first-team ready options as well.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Yes. I do think he's possibly the reason we aren't buying anyone else. He can't be far off and I'd like to see him get time most games. It's clear he's absolutely champing at the bit to start putting it about (oo-er) and makes a great 70-80 minute option for Wellbeck or Trossard. Buying someone else really would mean limiting his time which would be a shame.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When Ferguson is 25, Danny Welbeck will be 39 and I'd find it slightly concerning if he was still the main option up front at that point.

Agree about Ferguson though, he looks very promising. Don't mind him staying to get increasing game time or moving on a loan. People say that just because Connolly didn't go on loan, it means Ferguson will turn into shit unless he spends a year in Huddersfield or something, but different players/personalities need different things. There's plenty of PL players who didn't need a year in Championship or League One to succeed on the highest level, and there's an endless amount of players who did go on loan and turned into shit anyway.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But that is a strategy in itself!

IMO, while players with Danny’s stature in any opposition box is always a threat and when he retires, hopefully fergie will be up to speed as a replacement - it’s not aggressive forwards and physical dominance that has enabled us to create chances when facing our toughest opponents (ie the weaker teams who park the bus in a 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 ) but intricate short, very fast one-touch football using a combination of wingers, forwards and attacking MFs

When players like Tross and Mackie keep the CDs busy by forcing them to play forward off their lines and ‘disrupting the wall’ that way, this creates a dilemma for the CDs - do they split and cover the wingbacks threatening to get into space away from where the ball is being played (as Mitoma and March do) in which case spreading the block too thinly or do they stay compact and continue to mark the central attacking midfielders at the risk of leaving vulnerable channels for the wingers to get behind the defence lines? it’s hard to do both and each option can leave the opposition vulnerable in front of goal. To me that’s the sensible strategy in playing much weaker teams, not by getting bigger, better and more expensive dedicated strikers, but obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
If anyone doesn’t think tonight is definitive in terms of the need for strengthening our striking options then I don’t know what will. To start a game where the only only out and out striker is an 18 year old who has never started a PL game is unbelievable. I get all the arguments why we can’t/won’t sign anyone but with two games in four days this just seems a risk too far.

Tommy11

Oct 13, 2022
If anyone doesn’t think tonight is definitive in terms of the need for strengthening our striking options then I don’t know what will. To start a game where the only only out and out striker is an 18 year old who has never started a PL game is unbelievable. I get all the arguments why we can’t/won’t sign anyone but with two games in four days this just seems a risk too far.
You will just get the usual- “ that’s not our strategy” comeback , while kissing the butts off Barber, Bloom and some even still kissing Potters!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Undav out for personal reasons, not due to leaving imminently apparently

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You will just get the usual- “ that’s not our strategy” comeback , while kissing the butts off Barber, Bloom and some even still kissing Potters!!
You mean Barber who has very little to do with signing strikers, Bloom who has covered £120m in losses in the last few years, and Potter who really has f*** all to do with anything?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well thats 2/3 arses kissed so well done!
What if you pay for the striker? Call Tony Bloom tomorrow and tell him you have £10-30m for a new striker. I'm sure he'd be fine with that.

Until then, contemplate about if we're arse kissing or if you're behaving like a spoiled, entitled numpty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here