Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ridiculous Tedious Striker Situation

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Depends on the player. Callum Wilson is on a reported £47K per week. Or half an Adam Lallana if you trust the reported figures: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brighton-hove-albion/payroll/. Joelinton (a 40M striker) is on a reported £86K a week! I fail to believe there isn’t a striker out there that fits our wage structure and will improve our squad.
That list of salaries is a load of bollocks from top to bottom. Caicedo and Sanchez on 3.5K and 10K?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We finished 15th and 16th under potter his first two seasons. We finished 9th last season, with the help of the last day results going our way. We could have finished anywhere between 14th and 9th that day. The style of football is better now than under Chris, but why can’t we take a gamble, go get a forward and improve our forward line- which will improve our Chances of getting into Europe and possibly winning a cup. What is wrong with that thinking?? The problem with fans like you, is that your all so caught up and brainwashed by the commercial bollocks that come out the clubs mouth- you think they do know wrong and obey everything they say. It’s really painful to read.
Could even have finished 20th if the team didn't win any games at all. Potter out.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Anyone know how we are supposed to compete when the bottom team spend just shy of £50million on a striker?!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Anyone know how we are supposed to compete when the bottom team spend just shy of £50million on a striker?!

Cunha has not been that prolific at any club he’s been at. The fee is definitely overinflated.

There’s better value options.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Cunha has not been that prolific at any club he’s been at. The fee is definitely overinflated.

Yeah that's kind of my point. £50 million on a punt. Frightening.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Recruiting and developing quality 18-23 year olds, whilst also selling our best players every now and then, will be our best chance to be a top ten team. If and when we get a 15 goals a season striker, is when we potentially break into a European spot. Trossard could get 15 goals this season, so maybe only need someone else to get 10 goals with Trossard. I’d like to see Ferguson given a run of games while Welbeck is out. Whatever happens we are not about to spend £50M on a proven PL striker, that is simply never going to happen. UTA.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Needs to be a Jorge Mendes player though and he might not have better clients available.

Their Chinese owners have a lot of debt, and Portugal is their second biggest market. A high profile fallout with Mendes could mean very bad things for them.

Bit of a hostage situation for them.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
It sort of highlights the predicament. How many football manager wonderkid strikers have they been through over the last few years at extreme expense and still rely on the guy with the boxing head guard and an 87 year old diego Costa. It really is interesting to see which clubs of our equivalent-ish standing have managed to source prem level scorers. Not many. Bowen, Toney, Watkins - not many and most of them are still getting it in the neck from their fans at times.

Reactions: Loc

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
We have a decent striker in Trossard.
We have a decent finisher in Trossard. He gets lost up front alone in my opinion. My favourite place for him is roaming around behind the striker. We carried no threat against Villa until he was let free to do this.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks.

Crikey, I can’t recall such a commitment before, with a future expensive punt.

As a competitor club, I hope it doesn’t pan out well.
Leeds signed a loan player (Augustin)with commitment to buy for 18m if they got promoted in 17/18. The player turned out to be poo, but Leeds still had to pay the 18m.

Less than half the fee in this case, but arguably same level of commitment seeing as Leeds had nothing like the financial backing. More importantly because it’s Leeds, it’s LOLs.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I am less knowledgable than most people here I am sure, when it comes to the technical understanding of football (which is always a good basis in itself for for not voicing strong opinions on anything!). However, I have been and am interested in a particular aspect of the game which I think might be relevant to the ‘striker issue’ and doesn’t seem to have been touched on much if at all:

With all due respect, to the ‘we need a striker now’ proponents, I wonder if this position really embraces a sense of the Zeitgeist of how PL and continental European football has been quietly developing in the last 20 years in relation to the traditional out and out striker? I think perhaps not. Football has slowly been moving away from the classic 4-4-2 for years where there is reliance on no 9s. This traditional striker role started undergoing a tactical transformation as far back as 2006 when Speletti, used Totti in a central position at Roma, dropping him back into space between the midfield and defence, to draw out the CB. The idea being to create goal scoring opportunities for his wide attacking midfielders to get behind the defence. Years later, when Pep moved Messi into a central position in a 4-3-3 formation, in what had become known as a ‘False 9’, he built on Roma’s approach with Totti, as part of a very successful possession based goal scoring system. Klopp’s use of Firmino as a pivot rather than the goal scorer at Liverpool, created opportunities for Salah and Mane to get behind the defence and allowed the fullbacks in turn to press higher up the field. Is it the fact that Liverpool’s most prolific goal scorer is a winger down to Salah’s individual talent or is it because Klopp’s system of possession based, counter-attacking football, has produced a very efficient goal scoring system that has almost rejected the need for a traditional one horse pony striker? While there’s no doubt of Salah’s talent, I think the latter.

These managers, by RdZ’s own admission, are his greatest inspirations and there is little doubt inspiration leads to emulation. When Lallana says ‘the need for a striker is a load of rubbish’ perhaps those not agreeing might take a rather more sophisticated look at the football we have been watching at Brighton, first developing under GP and being developed further under RDZ.

I wonder whether the ‘buy striker now’ fans really have a concept of how extraordinarily fortunate we are to have a manager on the cutting edge of the changing style of football?

Here would be an excellent place to start for a deeper understanding of who we actually have as a manager in Roberto de Zerbi and the tactical shape of the football that he is developing at Brighton;

https://spielverlagerung.com/2021/1...bi-an-early-analysis-of-his-shakhtar-donetsk/

I’m not saying that we won’t need an additional striker if we loose Welbeck because I think we will - and maybe if we don’t get the expected returns from Undev or Ensico and have lost Tross also, maybe we will - am just saying that ‘DeZerbi ball’ may not need one right now quite as much, or even at all, as some fans are insisting.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am less knowledgable than most people here I am sure, when it comes to the technical understanding of football (which is always a good basis in itself for for not voicing strong opinions on anything!). However, I have been and am interested in a particular aspect of the game which I think might be relevant to the ‘striker issue’ and doesn’t seem to have been touched on much if at all:

With all due respect, to the ‘we need a striker now’ proponents, I wonder if this position really embraces a sense of the Zeitgeist of how PL and continental European football has been quietly developing in the last 20 years relation to the traditional out and out striker? I think perhaps not. Football has slowly been moving away from the classic 4-4-2 for years where there is reliance on no 9s. This traditional striker role started undergoing a tactical transformation as far back as 2006 when Speletti, used Totti in a central position at Roma, dropping him back into space between the midfield and defence, to draw out the CB. The idea being to create goal scoring opportunities for his wide attacking midfielders to get behind the defence. Years later, when Pep moved Messi into a central position in a 4-3-3 formation, in what had become known as a ‘False 9’, he built on Roma’s approach with Totti, as part of a very successful possession based goal scoring system. Klopp’s use of Firmino as a pivot rather than the goal scorer at Liverpool, created opportunities for Salah and Mane to get behind the defence and allowed the fullbacks in turn to press higher up the field. Is it the fact that Liverpool’s most prolific goal scorer is a winger down to Salah’s individual talent or is it because Klopp’s system of possession based, counter-attacking football, has produced a very efficient goal scoring system that has almost rejected the need for a traditional one horse pony striker? While there’s no doubt of Salah’s talent, I think the latter.

These managers, by RdZ’s own admission, are his greatest inspirations and there is little doubt inspiration leads to emulation. When Lallana says ‘the need for a striker is a load of rubbish’ perhaps those not agreeing might take a rather more sophisticated look at the football we have been watching at Brighton, first developing under GP and being developed further under RDZ.

I wonder whether the ‘buy striker now’ fans really have a concept of how extraordinary fortunate we are to have a manager on the cutting edge of the changing style of football?

Here would be an excellent place to start for a deeper understanding of who we actually have as a manager in Roberto de Zerbi and the tactical shape of the football that he is developing at Brighton;

https://spielverlagerung.com/2021/1...bi-an-early-analysis-of-his-shakhtar-donetsk/

I’m not saying that we won’t need an additional striker if we loose Welbeck because I think we will - and maybe if we don’t get the expected returns from Undev or Ensico and have lost Tross also, maybe we will - am just saying that ‘DeZerbi ball’ may not need one right now quite as much, or even at all, as some fans are insisting.
TL;DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here