Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The riches of our Chairman Mr Tony Bloom

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
TB may only have £125m and The Amex might be his "all in" play. He only needs some stake money for the poker. Seriously though, the very, very rich are usually the people who have shell companies and diversified portfolios that make it extremely hard for various tax authorities to pin down their actual worth. Bottom line is if you don't participate in the wish lists you either don't have the cash (but he's already stumped up near on £100m) or you absolutely don't need or want the publicity.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
As he sold his internet betting company in the far east for £500,000,000 and it earnt fantastic profits work it out for yourselves what his worth is!!

Sep 1, 2010
Where did i say i would turn on bloom if we did not go up? weird. To get things straight, i am of the understanding the funding for the stadium has not just come directly from Bloom's pocket.
The investment in the team is an expensive one, and one that Bloom has supported Poyet and his ambitions on. However, rich enough to pay off Manchester united's debts? Mmmmm not sure about that and if we needed that striker so badly(which by the way i don't think we do now) how much(being a league one club) do YOU think is being priced out of the market for one then?

Edit: Not ALL of the funding has come directly from Bloom's pocket

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Where did i say i would turn on bloom if we did not go up? weird. To get things straight, i am of the understanding the funding for the stadium has not just come directly from Bloom's pocket.
The investment in the team is an expensive one, and one that Bloom has supported Poyet and his ambitions on. However, rich enough to pay off Manchester united's debts? Mmmmm not sure about that and if we needed that striker so badly(which by the way i don't think we do now) how much(being a league one club) do YOU think is being priced out of the market for one then?

1) It's already been said but I'll say it again. He's trying to run the club as a a viable business. Our wage budget for this season was based on the income generated from the rest of the business which is £0. I'm sure there was money for 1 off fees but they wouldn't break our wage structure.

2) Where has the rest of the money come from? If you're quibbling over the 10 or so mill that came in grants, it's a bit silly isn't it.

He's got £90odd million laying around in cash, do you really think he could have that amout of money if he was worth less than Man U debts (about 700). Most rich peoples money is tied up in assets, to have that much cash he must be absolutely polluted

Sep 1, 2010
Well, some good points made but i still think some of the figures are a little inflated. Bloom's policy on running a viable business with regards to the Albion are a solid and sensible one in this day and age and himself not wanting to be bullied in terms of transfers fees is a good thing rather than throw money here,there and everywhere.

Ultimately none of us actually know, but asset rich and cash rich are two different ball games, once Falmer is up and running we will have a better budget for playing staff but using some of the figures in relation to what Brighton have to spend seems a long way unbalanced when i see some figures being thrown about on here.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Good article from the times - don't remember that first time around. Interesting how he states he doesn't want the publicity but accepts that the job comes with it. Also gives an insight to his governance model and clearly the faith he has in Martin Perry and Ken Brown. Having said that you don't make an emotional investment that big and then go completely hands off...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, some good points made but i still think some of the figures are a little inflated. Bloom's policy on running a viable business with regards to the Albion are a solid and sensible one in this day and age and himself not wanting to be bullied in terms of transfers fees is a good thing rather than throw money here,there and everywhere.

Ultimately none of us actually know, but asset rich and cash rich are two different ball games, once Falmer is up and running we will have a better budget for playing staff but using some of the figures in relation to what Brighton have to spend seems a long way unbalanced when i see some figures being thrown about on here.

Gus has said he is happy with the budget for players. Transfer fees are one thing but the club has a wage policy which both he and Ken Brown have said they will not break. Strikers are always more expensive but is it really worth risking the team spirit to have one overpaid striker especially when all three present strikers appear to be able to score at the moment?

As he sold his internet betting company in the far east for £500,000,000 and it earnt fantastic profits work it out for yourselves what his worth is!!

Really? I thought he sold PremierBet to Interactive Gaming Holdings plc in 2005. In 2005, Interactive Gaming Holdings had a turnover of £23.4 million and made a loss of £2.3 million. This doesn't sound like a company that would spend £500 million on anything.

Untitled Document

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
On the point of 'wasting' money on overpriced players does anyone think we'd be better off playing a centre back on £10,000 a week as rumoured at Saints rather than the guys we have, I think Bloom/Poyet have it right, we ain't gonna piss money away no matter who thinks these players are worth what they ask, I'll settle for the club being run properly and us staying in business.

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

clueless. absolutely clueless.
what is your issue with TB? what more could you possibly want from your chairman? please do tell me exactly which part of his stewardship you take issue with? is it the amazing new stadium, is it our position at the top of the table, perhaps it's his appointment of poyet that has annoyed you, or our style of football? do tell.

Whatever you think you know and understand... you are WRONG. it's been repeated on here a thousand times, plus the argus, the BBC, various national newspapers many many times but this time try and listen... our dear lord Tony Bloom has paid for the stadium, all of it, in cash. He hasn't borrowed against assets, he has used his OWN available funds to pay the bill. This is extraordinary. But yet you seem to prefer to fixate on what you perceive to be a lack of investment in the team - even though we're TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think it is worth looking at this article regarding our Chairman. Like his predecessor he is blue and white through and through, how many other league/premiership Chairman are similar???

'I'm no Abramovich' says new Brighton chairman | Football League - Times Online

"We are not worthy....." etc.

No wonder he rejected the bids from Norwich

“I still think of us as a big club,” Bloom said. “I see no difference between us and Ipswich, Norwich, Southampton, Portsmouth."

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
clueless. absolutely clueless.
what is your issue with TB? what more could you possibly want from your chairman? please do tell me exactly which part of his stewardship you take issue with? is it the amazing new stadium, is it our position at the top of the table, perhaps it's his appointment of poyet that has annoyed you, or our style of football? do tell.

Whatever you think you know and understand... you are WRONG. it's been repeated on here a thousand times, plus the argus, the BBC, various national newspapers many many times but this time try and listen... our dear lord Tony Bloom has paid for the stadium, all of it, in cash. He hasn't borrowed against assets, he has used his OWN available funds to pay the bill. This is extraordinary. But yet you seem to prefer to fixate on what you perceive to be a lack of investment in the team - even though we're TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!

I actually think TB and the club turned down any grants because they had too many strings attached. As you say, at that point Tony just wedged up the whole £93m!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
One things for sure he is going to be a helluva lot richer once the money starts rolling in at Falmer after the loan is paid back or converted into shares.

The main sources of his funds that were breifly touched on were his property empire in Australia and his ownership of the Amex building in Brighton. We were also told that now when a player signs they are offered accomadation in the Marina as that is were Bloom also owns property. So not bad if you want to play in our magnificent stadium next year.

Bloom is alot richer than some think. The figure I have talked about and was told about is obviously his overall "worth", not money in his bank account, but again, as we where told yesterday, the ground is costing £300,000 per day!!! and the cost is already around the £110,000,000 mark!!! The guy has some serious cash, more than enough to at the very least have us in the upper reaches of the Championship within the next 2-3 years. However 70% of teams with a new stadium get promoted so you never know...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The main sources of his funds that were breifly touched on were his property empire in Australia and his ownership of the Amex building in Brighton. We were also told that now when a player signs they are offered accomadation in the Marina as that is were Bloom also owns property. So not bad if you want to play in our magnificent stadium next year.

Bloom is alot richer than some think. The figure I have talked about and was told about is obviously his overall "worth", not money in his bank account, but again, as we where told yesterday, the ground is costing £300,000 per day!!! and the cost is already around the £110,000,000 mark!!! The guy has some serious cash, more than enough to at the very least have us in the upper reaches of the Championship within the next 2-3 years. However 70% of teams with a new stadium get promoted so you never know...

Do you mean Amex House in Edward Street? I can assure you he does not own that building.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
1) It's already been said but I'll say it again. He's trying to run the club as a a viable business. Our wage budget for this season was based on the income generated from the rest of the business which is £0. I'm sure there was money for 1 off fees but they wouldn't break our wage structure.

2) Where has the rest of the money come from? If you're quibbling over the 10 or so mill that came in grants, it's a bit silly isn't it.

He's got £90odd million laying around in cash, do you really think he could have that amout of money if he was worth less than Man U debts (about 700). Most rich peoples money is tied up in assets, to have that much cash he must be absolutely polluted

Good article from the times - don't remember that first time around. Interesting how he states he doesn't want the publicity but accepts that the job comes with it. Also gives an insight to his governance model and clearly the faith he has in Martin Perry and Ken Brown. Having said that you don't make an emotional investment that big and then go completely hands off...

Good posts.

I've been citing the cash rich vs asset rich argument for some time....TB must be worth one helluva lot if he was able to invest the huge amount he has in this club.

On the striker issue, I agree that a one-off fee is never the issue but wages are....not because he couldn't afford them but because he wants the club to become profit-making and successful in its own right and keeping a tight ship now will reap longer-term benefits (plus as someone said an overpaid striker could affect the dynamic of the team).

Really? I thought he sold PremierBet to Interactive Gaming Holdings plc in 2005. In 2005, Interactive Gaming Holdings had a turnover of £23.4 million and made a loss of £2.3 million. This doesn't sound like a company that would spend £500 million on anything.

Untitled Document

I remember reading PremierBet was sold for £80,000,000.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
We were also told that now when a player signs they are offered accomadation in the Marina as that is were Bloom also owns property. So not bad if you want to play in our magnificent stadium next year.

I'm pretty certain that the club have had property in the Marina for a number of years now as somewhere for loan players to live when they move to the club. It certainly pre-dates the Bloom era.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One things for sure he is going to be a helluva lot richer once the money starts rolling in at Falmer after the loan is paid back or converted into shares.

There are not many people who make money out of owning a football club - let alone be a helluva lot richer. If he does make any money - well good luck to him - but I doubt it is factored into his long-term planning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here