Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problem with posession football.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A team had 58% posession today, and lost 2-1. They had just 1 shot on target, for all their dominance of the ball. That team was the frankly pathetic Wigan Athletic. Their shot on target was from the rebound of a penalty which struck a post. At some point, you have to create some chances and at some point, if you want to win football matches, you actually have to shoot. For all our pretty play today, did we really threaten with our probing passing? No. We threatened when LuaLua and Buckley (on the rare occaison) took on their man and got behind them and fired the ball into the box. We got our goal from it, and we could have had a few more. Our football needs to be focused on getting them into the game in threatening positions, getting the ball played in behind the full back for them to run on to and get the ball into the area. The other problem we had today was that Barnes was the only target in the box. With all due respect, if Wrexham played without centre backs today they'd have been equally as adept at handling the threat posed by our #9 today.

My loyalty to Gus isn't questionable, I'm just frustrated. I spent £23 (including the bonus £2 for having the temerity to buy my ticket online) to sit in the West Stand lower to watch our development squad draw a game which does matter. I feel very disappointed tonight.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Looked completely toothless without KLL or Buckley but think you have to give Wrexham some credit for being very organised.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
blah blah blah. No-one's putting a gun to your head and making you spend that money. If you don't like the product then go take your money elsewhere.

Seriously, I've been watching Brighton more years than I care to remember and for most of that time we've been borderline mediocre/average. It probably won't get much better than this so either enjoy the ride or get off and go get another hobby.

f***ing moaning twats are doing my head in. Time for me to stop reading NSC for a little while methinks.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The tippy-tappy stuff is also driving me mad. I seem to remember a few decades ago that's what the South American sides played. 90minutes of passing the ball and one goal if you were lucky. B-O-R-I-N-G. We need a big striker who can be a target for long balls so that we can mix it up a bit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have a sense of perspective. My first FA Cup tie was a 4-2 pasting at Leyton Orient, I've seen us beaten at home by Mansfield and I was there for the FC United and Woking games at Withdean last season aswell as many others dotted down the years. One thing that we've never lacked is the desire to go on and try to win the game, that game at Leyton Orient remains my favourite day out with the Albion, it was a rubbish standard of football against dire opponents but it was a damn good game of football. Today wasn't. I generally enjoy the way we play, and once we've got a few better players in, we'll be back dominating games like we were last season. But in the meantime, is it really too much to ask that we play like it matters? The only thing I have a problem with today was the lack of desire to go and win the game. At 1-1 we were playing with Agdestein and Barnes on the wings, no-one was through the middle. We had Kasim, Rodgers, Sparrow and JFC all crammed into central midfield. If you're not entitled to ask if that's good enough, then there's a problem.

It was an FA Cup tie today, not an FA Youth Cup tie.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Simple solution as per last season - play with width and pace - simple - and we have the players to do so

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Spain & Barcelona are really struggling playing possession football. We just need to pass at a greater pace to prevent the opposition getting 10 or 11 men behind the ball.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
A team had 58% posession today, and lost 2-1. They had just 1 shot on target, for all their dominance of the ball. That team was the frankly pathetic Wigan Athletic. Their shot on target was from the rebound of a penalty which struck a post. At some point, you have to create some chances and at some point, if you want to win football matches, you actually have to shoot. For all our pretty play today, did we really threaten with our probing passing? No. We threatened when LuaLua and Buckley (on the rare occaison) took on their man and got behind them and fired the ball into the box. We got our goal from it, and we could have had a few more. Our football needs to be focused on getting them into the game in threatening positions, getting the ball played in behind the full back for them to run on to and get the ball into the area. The other problem we had today was that Barnes was the only target in the box. With all due respect, if Wrexham played without centre backs today they'd have been equally as adept at handling the threat posed by our #9 today.

My loyalty to Gus isn't questionable, I'm just frustrated. I spent £23 (including the bonus £2 for having the temerity to buy my ticket online) to sit in the West Stand lower to watch our development squad draw a game which does matter. I feel very disappointed tonight.
agree with this

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uruguay 1986 for the younger go research. See that? Thats US that is...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Spain & Barcelona are really struggling playing possession football. We just need to pass at a greater pace to prevent the opposition getting 10 or 11 men behind the ball.

Possesion with a purpose, that's the difference. Today, and at MANY other games i've seen this season, we've had no purpose, and it's bloody boring to watch. Surely nobody found our football today exciting, SURELY?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Possesion with a purpose, that's the difference. Today, and at MANY other games i've seen this season, we've had no purpose, and it's bloody boring to watch. Surely nobody found our football today exciting, SURELY?

Did you go to the game?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Did you go to the game?

Yes, I did. The last 20 minutes today we had the ball in Wrexham's half endlessly, they were camped behind the ball, and every time we had a man out wide unmarked the ball went backwards. Wrexham in fact created the better chances. Coventry was the same, every time we got forward, we came back and ended up pussy footing about at the back, the one time we played an early ball through we made our only decent chance of the game with a CMS one on one. Why? Because they had a high defensive line and there was space in behind, the rest of the game we spent so long building up our attacks that they had 10 men behind the ball. It was the same with Reading and countless other games i've been too. We look dangerous when we spread the ball out quickly to Noone, Lua Lua, and Buckley. CMS doesn't want the ball to feet, he wants balls to run on too, see the Burnley game in the last 10 minutes, he caused HAVOC running onto early balls into space. In fact, he had more chances in those 10 minutes than all other recent games put together that I remember.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The tippy-tappy stuff is also driving me mad. I seem to remember a few decades ago that's what the South American sides played. 90minutes of passing the ball and one goal if you were lucky. B-O-R-I-N-G. We need a big striker who can be a target for long balls so that we can mix it up a bit.

Get used to it until Gus leaves, he's not going to change his approach.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Poyet did. "Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "The development squad players were great. They controlled the game when they were all playing together and it's beautiful to watch, and that is credit to Luke Williams and Charlie Oatway."

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, I did. The last 20 minutes today we had the ball in Wrexham's half endlessly, they were camped behind the ball, and every time we had a man out wide unmarked the ball went backwards. Wrexham in fact created the better chances. Coventry was the same, every time we got forward, we came back and ended up pussy footing about at the back, the one time we played an early ball through we made our only decent chance of the game with a CMS one on one. Why? Because they had a high defensive line and there was space in behind, the rest of the game we spent so long building up our attacks that they had 10 men behind the ball. It was the same with Reading and countless other games i've been too. We look dangerous when we spread the ball out quickly to Noone, Lua Lua, and Buckley. CMS doesn't want the ball to feet, he wants balls to run on too, see the Burnley game in the last 10 minutes, he caused HAVOC running onto early balls into space. In fact, he had more chances in those 10 minutes than all other recent games put together that I remember.

The thing is, this last 20 minutes is when we didn't have a winger on the pitch and a lot of youngsters. It's different when we do :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It never got Barcelona, Liverpool or ManU at their best, anywhere.

Why can't we just sack Gus, and get Tony Pulis in any cost? That bloke is a rugby, sorry I mean football, genius. He'll definitely get the ball into box quicker.

What's Gus ever done for us?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It never got Barcelona, Liverpool or ManU at their best, anywhere.

Why can't we just sack Gus, and get Tony Pulis in any cost? That bloke is a rugby, sorry I mean football, genius. He'll definitely get the ball into box quicker.

What's Gus ever done for us?

Nobodies asking for long ball for 90 minutes. But when we have the ball in the opposition half, or two wingers flying down the wing, can we put them through instead of checking back and playing it across the back. There was a point today where Sampayo was bursting down the wing in acres of space, and instead Navarro turned and passed it back to Grant Hall at the back, and proceeded to seemingly tell Sampayo that he couldn't pass to him.
To compare us to Barcelona is stupid. If you watch them, they play very, very differently to us. The way they create chances is by hitting teams with pace and movement, we had very, very little movement off the ball. It's like people who say we play like Swansea, when actually if somebody compares both teams, they play (and played last year) with far more purpose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here