Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*~*~* The ONLY suspensions / 'poo-gate' thread - FACTS ONLY *~*~*

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be honest I am far more bothered about Bozza getting into trouble than some f**kwit who writes defamatory stuff and gets themselves into trouble. They deserve it.

But I don't think is a tenable position for NSC. It is a message board to discuss all matters Albion. If you cannot discuss matters (very important ones) Albion, at a time when people are very concerned, angry, and wanting answers and to voice their own ideas as to what has happened, then you may as well close it down.

No one on here (or possibly a couple) is more aware of libel law than me, but this is too draconian and renders the board a waste of time.

Might I suggest that Bozza and those moderators who do not have any formal libel law training go and get some? In the long run it will help you, and it will transform the board. Instead of removing everything you are worried about and playing too safe, you will know what to be worried about and what is fine. I would be happy for any NSC funds to be used for that purpose and if there aren't any would contribute to a whip-round because in the long run it will be better for everyone.

You are ian hislop and I claim my £5

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Rather spoils NSC though, doesn't it?

Don't be daft. There are dogs wearing clothes, the word association game, the What Exactly Does Spanish Dave Do thread, the world's hardest animal competition, the Brighton Restaurant 2013, lots of photographs of ladies in not much clothing, and the occasional bit of Albion news, just off the top of my head.

You just can't buy that level of entertainment elsewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't be daft. There are dogs wearing clothes, the word association game, the What Exactly Does Spanish Dave Do thread, the world's hardest animal competition, the Brighton Restaurant 2013, lots of photographs of ladies in not much clothing, and the occasional bit of Albion news, just off the top of my head.

Plus bicycles, don't forget the bicycles!!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Is there some sort of forum for forum hosts, where they can chat about this. It just seems like NSC seems to get its knickers in a twist about these sort of things.

Has a chat board admin ever been sued for damages? I'm aware that quite a few have had demands for identity of posters but that is a different thing.

Seems to me that the biggest reminder needs to be to posters to remind them that what they say online through their username can still be attributed to them

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The club on the other hand isn't just the team, the manager, the chairman or even the limited company. Fans are an integral part of it as they are loyal to that particular club. None of us are going to take our custom elsewhere - the worst that happens is that we decide to spend our money on different things. Fans are the club. Therefore I agree with maglers - it's not unreasonable to expect at the very minimum a timescale from the club. They must have one as employers disciplinary procedures usually have them - when you're disciplined one of the first things you get is the allegation and the timescale around the process.

Yes it is.
The club have a pending enquiry that needs to cover every angle and be as thorough as possible, a sensitive managerial situation that needs resolving as quickly as they can for the good of the club and a 2.5m pot at stake if they get it wrong, a battered reputation to recover and rebolster and throughout these processes will be troupes of lawyers looking into and holding up the process at every point.
You really expect them to be able to give you a timescale for all this?

DWF

Banned
Sep 28, 2011
Apology has been made, the matter should be put to rest now. Although it should be noted that CPFC seem to have kept a dignified silence media wise.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't like the fact that many interesting threads that contained, imo, mostly idle speculation have been taken down, but I can well understand Bozza choosing to be conservative on this issue. It's no fun being sued.

The point is, this board is not run by full time administrators who watch everything that goes up. As most people are aware, if someone posts something unacceptable, be it for reasons of decency, racism, abuse, legal dubiousness or whatever, it often doesn't come to the attention of moderators unless someone points it out. There are thousands of threads on this board, with thousands more posts. How on earth can that be constantly moderated?

Most of the mods, as well as Bozza himself, have full time jobs to contend with (and even if they didn't, spending 24hours a day checking NSC for offensive stuff would be a tiresome job), so there simply isn't the capacity to go through everything that's been posted & move it if it relates to current events.

If the options were simply taking down everything on the spot, not getting sued, and then restoring the acceptable bits in due course once sanitised; or leaving them up so as not to upset posters, and discovering, too late, that something libellous remained....well I know what I think is the right answer.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
What has the world come to when you have to censor and fine tooth comb down an online discussion board?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

@Krusty is right though... Spurious, contentious, libellous bilge is the beating heart of NSC that pumps lifeblood to all of the beautiful topics you've mentioned above.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is there some sort of forum for forum hosts, where they can chat about this. It just seems like NSC seems to get its knickers in a twist about these sort of things.

Has a chat board admin ever been sued for damages?

Don't you think there may be a good reason for this particular twisting of knickers?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The point is, this board is not run by full time administrators who watch everything that goes up. As most people are aware, if someone posts something unacceptable, be it for reasons of decency, racism, abuse, legal dubiousness or whatever, it often doesn't come to the attention of moderators unless someone points it out. There are thousands of threads on this board, with thousands more posts. How on earth can that be constantly moderated?

Most of the mods, as well as Bozza himself, have full time jobs to contend with (and even if they didn't, spending 24hours a day checking NSC for offensive stuff would be a tiresome job), so there simply isn't the capacity to go through everything that's been posted & move it if it relates to current events.

If the options were simply taking down everything on the spot, not getting sued, and then restoring the acceptable bits in due course once sanitised; or leaving them up so as not to upset posters, and discovering, too late, that something libellous remained....well I know what I think is the right answer.

Yes, and I would agree with you. I hope that came across in what I posted.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Apology has been made, the matter should be put to rest now. Although it should be noted that CPFC seem to have kept a dignified silence media wise.

so you have not read what the worzel has said in the evening standard then?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
has the Hillsborough thread been taken down as well
I can't find it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here