Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*~*~* The ONLY suspensions / 'poo-gate' thread - FACTS ONLY *~*~*

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Top post, unfortunately some on this thread will dismiss it.

I will. Well, not all of it. In fact, not most of it. The only query I have is whether Barber and Poyet fell out at Spurs. Is this just based on the fact that he sacked him because if it is, then I'm not sure that is them falling out, just Poyet being the collateral damage from Ramos being sacked. Of course, there may be evidence that they fell out over a long period of time!

Other than that, agree with what was posted.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I've been approached regarding the legalities of much of the speculation that has filled NSC's pages over the past few days. I fully appreciate that it's only human nature to want to find out what has happened, what is going on and what may ultimately happen hence the thousands of speculative posts that have been made.

However, in doing so you could be:

a) Putting yourself at risk of libel litigation.
b) Putting me at risk of libel litigation.

I want to try and protect those who care about (a) and I have a very real vested interest in (b).

Therefore, I have taken the rather severe approach of removing all new threads from the past 6 days. I will review these threads later today and move back anything that is not contentious.

From now, please use this thread for all discussion relating to Albion staff suspensions and what has been termed 'poo-gate'. This gives the moderating team a greater chance of keeping things appropriate, and removing stuff that is not.

Please try and keep all discussion to known and published facts. If in doubt, please just don't post. Those who show no regard for this polite request will have their posting rights removed to protect both themselves and me.

If you see stuff that you think is borderline, please report it so moderators can review and act where required.

Just don't write information as fact.... Opinion isn't libelous...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Here's a fact

I had to once let a Sales Director go despite him returning the best sales figures that the company had ever seen. Problem was that the promises his department made to get the sales meant that delivering them weren't financially viable, although as he rightly pointed out at the time, that wasn't his responsibility.

Unfortunately, it was my responsibility so i had to let him go. Great shame, got very good sales figures, but wasn't interested in the big picture.

Just saying, like

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Think I'm going to give NSC a miss for a few days. However carefully people couch their language (and not everyone is, clearly) nothing of any real current concern or interest can be discussed without being removed. The Poo-gate stuff is nowhere near on the same level of seriousness as for example the player trial, but it is being treated as such. Utterly pointless.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Think I'm going to give NSC a miss for a few days. However carefully people couch their language (and not everyone is, clearly) nothing of any real current concern or interest can be discussed without being removed. The Poo-gate stuff is nowhere near on the same level of seriousness as for example the player trial, but it is being treated as such. Utterly pointless.
I would agree with you
but the poo-gate has very serious implications and the proof of this is in silence from just about everyone both the player trial and poo-gate are very serious but we are only likely to get an answer on one of those

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You could always set up your own board and see how you get on ..or sulk?just saying like

This anti-Barber campaign is so misguided because it's futile, Barber is Bloom's man and if Barber did go then the next CE would have to make the same decisions
Indeed. For months, there have been posts on NSC from people who seem to imagine that decisions (big or small) that they haven't liked can be attributed to Paul Barber personally, rather than to the Club corporately.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Here's a fact

I had to once let a Sales Director go despite him returning the best sales figures that the company had ever seen. Problem was that the promises his department made to get the sales meant that delivering them weren't financially viable, although as he rightly pointed out at the time, that wasn't his responsibility.

Unfortunately, it was my responsibility so i had to let him go. Great shame, got very good sales figures, but wasn't interested in the big picture.

Just saying, like

A lot of Bank staff made massive bonuses on exactly the same set of rules. When all you need to do is one particular thing without concerning yourself with the overall picture then you're heading for a major crash.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Let's put Lord B's comments into context. Firstly, there are a number of employees at the club who are part of the old guard from the Dick Knight days who are not happy that Bloom ousted DK and are also not happy that the club is being managed and run less like a church committee and more like an efficient, modern and expanding business.

Barber is Bloom's man, of that there is no doubt. Every decision Barber makes is sanctioned by TB. That explains a lot of resentment. Also, Barber is working flat out to make the club self-sufficient and within FFP. Even in our first year at the Amex there were huge losses made. Barber is trying to stop this and staff who were used to relatively free reign on spending are now being asked to justify every penny. Bloom was livid with the way the club was continuing ro be run and ditched Brown in favour of a CE that was strong enough to change the culture. Another cause of resentment.

Poyet's always moaned about budgets, lack of funds etc. he seemed to expect Bloom to be like Abramovich and operate on an open cheque book policy. Bloom has repeatedly told him that he must operate within the budget. Barber's job is to ensure this occurs. Given Poyet's views and his character he would clash with whoever is Chief Exec. Granted, Poyet and Barber fell out at Spurs but it's up to both if them to behave in an adult manner and bury personal differences and act in the best interests of the club. I can't comment on whether either of them has done so behind closed doors but publicly Poyet has repeatedly allowed his ego to put himself above the club. I don't think it's particularly fanciful to speculate that Poyet would have problems with whoever was Chief Exec, especially one who has FFP as a legal requirement.

This anti-Barber campaign is so misguided because it's futile, Barber is Bloom's man and if Barber did go then the next CE would have to make the same decisions because of the need to be self-financing and within FFP.

Agree with this. There will be many who have been with the club for years that are not suited to working in the new amex world. I'm not sure that all of them have been moved on yet.

Also, Poyet hasn't played this cleverly at all. I won't resort to conjecture as to what he thought he was achieving.

What I would say though is that gp is the person who has spoken publicly (and self damagingly) we don't know and will likely never know what things (real or perceived) triggered him to do this (and so poorly at that).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So sack the person whose responsibility it was.
Unfortunately, it was my responsibility so i had to let him go.
:laugh:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Let's put Lord B's comments into context. Firstly, there are a number of employees at the club who are part of the old guard from the Dick Knight days who are not happy that Bloom ousted DK and are also not happy that the club is being managed and run less like a church committee and more like an efficient, modern and expanding business.

Barber is Bloom's man, of that there is no doubt. Every decision Barber makes is sanctioned by TB. That explains a lot of resentment. Also, Barber is working flat out to make the club self-sufficient and within FFP. Even in our first year at the Amex there were huge losses made. Barber is trying to stop this and staff who were used to relatively free reign on spending are now being asked to justify every penny. Bloom was livid with the way the club was continuing ro be run and ditched Brown in favour of a CE that was strong enough to change the culture. Another cause of resentment.

Poyet's always moaned about budgets, lack of funds etc. he seemed to expect Bloom to be like Abramovich and operate on an open cheque book policy. Bloom has repeatedly told him that he must operate within the budget. Barber's job is to ensure this occurs. Given Poyet's views and his character he would clash with whoever is Chief Exec. Granted, Poyet and Barber fell out at Spurs but it's up to both if them to behave in an adult manner and bury personal differences and act in the best interests of the club. I can't comment on whether either of them has done so behind closed doors but publicly Poyet has repeatedly allowed his ego to put himself above the club. I don't think it's particularly fanciful to speculate that Poyet would have problems with whoever was Chief Exec, especially one who has FFP as a legal requirement.

This anti-Barber campaign is so misguided because it's futile, Barber is Bloom's man and if Barber did go then the next CE would have to make the same decisions because of the need to be self-financing and within FFP.

I think we can say for certain that there are a few who post on here that have similar grudges.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Poyet's always moaned about budgets, lack of funds etc. he seemed to expect Bloom to be like Abramovich and operate on an open cheque book policy. Bloom has repeatedly told him that he must operate within the budget. Barber's job is to ensure this occurs. Given Poyet's views and his character he would clash with whoever is Chief Exec. Granted, Poyet and Barber fell out at Spurs but it's up to both if them to behave in an adult manner and bury personal differences and act in the best interests of the club. I can't comment on whether either of them has done so behind closed doors but publicly Poyet has repeatedly allowed his ego to put himself above the club. I don't think it's particularly fanciful to speculate that Poyet would have problems with whoever was Chief Exec, especially one who has FFP as a legal requirement. This anti-Barber campaign is so misguided because it's futile, Barber is Bloom's man and if Barber did go then the next CE would have to make the same decisions because of the need to be self-financing and within FFP.

and one who probably had a a part to play in him being fired at spurs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would agree with you
but the poo-gate has very serious implications and the proof of this is in silence from just about everyone both the player trial and poo-gate are very serious
Poogate is not that serious. Someone did a poo on the floor. The club apologised, Palace accepted the apology, the club will deal with how it happened, and that's it. Of course it's in papers, it's a funny story, but no one got hurt, it's not a big deal.

Lot's of good points. I was on the Gus bus, I enjoyed the ride, but now I'm back at port, on the TB ship. If Barber is Bloom's man, then he's my man too. Whatever TB says goes as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed. For months, there have been posts on NSC from people who seem to imagine that decisions (big or small) that they haven't liked can be attributed to Paul Barber personally, rather than to the Club corporately.
Agreed. Fans often like someone to blame.

and one who probably had a a part to play in him being fired at spurs.
He didn't have a part to play in him being fired - Poyet was fired because Spurs had their worst ever start to a league campaign, despite having fairly decent players. The manager had to go, so obviously his team went with him. Barber would have had no choice in the matter (he may have got to write the letter though).

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think we can say for certain that there are a few who post on here that have similar grudges.

I don't think it's so much people holding grudges, but what I've noticed is a genuine fear that we are going back down the same route that nearly led the club to going out of business.

I've noticed with some posters that there's a real negativity toward change, because we've been running under the banner of a "community club", really since the idea of playing at Falmer was born. However, all supporters have to get to the real world...

Running a football club IS a matter of profit margins. To make those profit margins, sometimes, costs must be cut and players must be sold...Even Manchester United and Barcelona operate in the same manner, and we are no different but on a much smaller scale.

There is however, a world of difference between Paul Barber running the club to maximise potential and David Belotti running the club into the ground and some people who are unnecessarily fearful of the way the club is being run, need to get over it.

We are no longer plucky little Brighton, who against all odds fought against nasty business men who occasionally flirt with the Championship and who play at a small athletics stadium...We are instead, whether people like it or not, are on the way to being Brighton & Hove Albion PLC with a CE with a business plan to not only get into the Premier League but to stay there and compete on and off the pitch with our opponents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here