Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*~*~* The ONLY suspensions / 'poo-gate' thread - FACTS ONLY *~*~*

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They were decisions about administrative staffing.

Was he by any chance advocating cutting the number of security personnel, particularly in the vicinity of the changing rooms...? (sorry).

As suspected, it sounds like this *may* all be down to a breakdown between Barber and Gus and you can't help but wonder if the investigation into Poyet is not going to be rather one-sided as he has been suspended by "the club".

It would be sad to think that his reign might possibly have been brought to an end by this situation. Who is more important and more difficult to replace - a successful football manager or the man who looks after the day-to-day running of the business?

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It would be sad to think that his reign might possibly have been brought to an end by this situation. Who is more important and more difficult to replace - a successful football manager or the man who looks after the day-to-day running of the business?

It's not uncommon, a difficult relationship between Manager and the money man (whatever title he may have). The days of the Manager ruling the roost are long gone and if Gus wants to get on and do his stuff without interference then he'll have to look in the lower leagues maybe.

That's not to say Barber hasn't been stepping over the line, we'll never know. But if he has it's a pity as it leaves us Managerless and I've not seen any plausible name as a replacement that inspires me.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a deal of sympathy with Bozza and his carefully considered response to the situation in which NSC finds itself. And I agree that ill-informed speculation helps no-one and can be a threat to the quality of debate that we like to see on NSC.

However ... I do think it is perfectly reasonable for Albion fans to want to know what is happening at our football club. Suppressing ALL accounts of what is happening is unhelpful.

In that spirit, I feel it is perfectly reasonable to report the following facts that I can personally vouch for.

1. Some months ago, I was told by a senior employee of the club that Paul Barber was taking decisions that were considered by him to be "horrendous". I later discussed this allegation with a director of the club who said that the decisions were recognised to be contentious, but were in the best interests of the club.

2. More recently (in mid April), I was told by a very senior person within the club that Gus Poyet was going to walk away from the Albion at the end of the season, regardless of the outcome of the play-offs, because his relationship with Paul Barber had completely broken down.

In reporting these facts, I am not taking sides in any Barber v Poyet "dispute". I am merely confirming my view that whatever has produced this turmoil has a longer history than the events of the past 10 days.

Thank you.

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Is there anyway on a stadium tour someone could get in away changing room ? I've never done a tour but this has been playing on my mind

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is there anyway on a stadium tour someone could get in away changing room ? I've never done a tour but this has been playing on my mind

Yes. The tour covers both the home and away changing rooms. But I can't imagine there would have been tours on a matchday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes. The tour covers both the home and away changing rooms. But I can't imagine there would have been tours on a matchday.

"Our party appears to be one short. Who's missing?"

"I think it was that guy who started clutching his stomach and biting the bench as we got in the away dressing room."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was he by any chance advocating cutting the number of security personnel, particularly in the vicinity of the changing rooms...? (sorry).

As suspected, it sounds like this *may* all be down to a breakdown between Barber and Gus and you can't help but wonder if the investigation into Poyet is not going to be rather one-sided as he has been suspended by "the club".

Let's be honest, how much longer would Poyet stay at the club? He has been here three and half years which is longer than the average for a league manager. It would be highly unlikely that he would turn out to be the next Ferguson or Wenger in terms of longevity. As dull as it seems, and taking into account the events of the 80s and 90s in terms of the clubs finances, probably more important that we have a football administrator on board that can secure much better sponsorship and maximise profit which, in turn, will enable whatever manager to spend as much as is available. We lost £8m in the first year at the Amex so if we carried on then Poyet or the next manager would have nothing to spend.

Controversy seems to follow Barber. Question is has he left the clubs he used to be at in a better financial position when he has moved on? Genuine question, I don't have a clue if he has or hasn't.

Have you tried researching then? Plenty on Wiki that suggests he does.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's not uncommon, a difficult relationship between Manager and the money man (whatever title he may have). The days of the Manager ruling the roost are long gone and if Gus wants to get on and do his stuff without interference then he'll have to look in the lower leagues maybe.

That's not to say Barber hasn't been stepping over the line, we'll never know. But if he has it's a pity as it leaves us Managerless and I've not seen any plausible name as a replacement that inspires me.

there you go people using the "b" word again
to be serious it looks a lot like we might lose a good manager through penny pinching and it has become a mess and personal battles between two factions.
if this becomes fact then I will never forgive those concerned
its not just one persons stupid actions that have caused this it lies across the shoulders of quite a few and they have made my club a laughing stock across the world
shame on them
whoever you are

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
to be serious it looks a lot like we might lose a good manager through penny pinching and it has become a mess and personal battles between two factions.
its not just one persons stupid actions that have caused this it lies across the shoulders of quite a few and they have made my club a laughing stock across the world
shame on them
whoever you are

Trying to turn around an £8m loss is penny pinching? As for laughing stock around the world, a little over dramatic don't you think?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For anyone who cares, a bunch of 'good' threads have now been moved back to this board.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
For anyone who cares, a bunch of 'good' threads have now been moved back to this board.

Do we win a prize if we can find a "good" thread. Needle in a haystack time.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
shame on them
whoever you are

So you want us to lose millions every year, AND let Poyet spunk money the Club don't have? :ohmy:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
.......I was told by a very senior person within the club that Gus Poyet was going to walk away from the Albion at the end of the season, regardless of the outcome of the play-offs, because his relationship with Paul Barber had completely broken down.......

I'd have more sympathy for Poyet if this was the first time but he has history in broken-down relationships. Didn't he force Stephenson out of the club with a 'me or him' ultimatum to Bloom?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here