Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official rally/protest thread [merged threads]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fine quotes in the Argus online today - Marina Pepper losing her rag at the Brighton Lib-Dems. It's all GOOD :clap2:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lib Dem and ex-Brighton and Hove mayor Jenny Barnard- Langston and Lib Dem councillor Paul Elgood unfurled a banner which read: "Lib Dems 4 Falmer".

The seeming lack of solidarity with their Lewes colleagues apparently infuriated Lewes District Council chairwoman Marina Pepper.

An unnamed source said Coun Pepper stormed up to the dissenters and shouted at them, before taking pictures of them as proof of their disloyalty and threatening to have them expelled from the party.

The Brighton and Hove branch of the Lib Dems had told the members not to turn up at the rally in an official capacity.

But they went along individually to support the campaign.

Coun Elgood said: "A number of Brighton and Hove Liberal Democrats have been life-long Albion supporters.

"We respect Norman Baker MP but we believe in Falmer, it's the only option."

Divisive issue The party president, Simon Hughes, said no official action would be taken against the city councillors.

He said: "I know it's become a divisive issue. Clearly it's a very important issue locally but it's not a matter the party leadership can resolve.

"It's going through the political process and I hope there's a solution.

"I understand the frustration of fans but local politics is about people making decisions that reflect what voters wish."

Coun Pepper was unavailable for comment last night.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Caveman said:
IMG_0714x.jpg

This has to be the best of all. Splitting the party is going to do it. Lets just hope the Argus uses this!!!!

Lady on the left is my law teacher at college, an absolute legend! Always asking about Falmer and how things are going if there is a lib dem that is totally pro falmer its her. Shame there aren't more un bias, level minded people within the party.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
sir danny cullip said:
Lady on the left is my law teacher at college, an absolute legend! Always asking about Falmer and how things are going if there is a lib dem that is totally pro falmer its her. Shame there aren't more un bias, level minded people within the party.

Are you shagging her SDC?

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
An unnamed source said Coun Pepper stormed up to the dissenters and shouted at them, before taking pictures of them as proof of their disloyalty and threatening to have them expelled from the party.

Marina Pepper. What a joke. With a name like a homepride stir in sauce (and inflicted even worse names on her children!) - she touts being a white witch and an ex-page three girl as her 'interesting facts'.

We could have all got our noobies out love. It aint a talent!

Mrs Coach

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Yes, yes it was. When Paul Samrah was talking about Norman Baker, I also shouted "Burn him".

Which I thought was a better heckle, to be honest :jester:
That was drowned out by some marvellous Orwellian "Two Minutes Hate"-style BOOING of Always Obnoxious Norman Bastardbaker.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, yes it was. When Paul Samrah was talking about Norman Baker, I also shouted "Burn him".

Which I thought was a better heckle, to be honest :jester:

In that case we were right in front of you... you didn't think much of the 'Toffs for Falmer' candidate either, did you ?

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Coach said:

Marina Pepper. What a joke. With a name like a homepride stir in sauce (and inflicted even worse names on her children!) - she touts being a white witch and an ex-page three girl as her 'interesting facts'.

We could have all got our noobies out love. It aint a talent!

Mrs Coach

:lol:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Titanic said:
In that case we were right in front of you... you didn't think much of the 'Toffs for Falmer' candidate either, did you ?

The Torys are quite clever at this. The candidate up against Lord B in the LDC by-election kept on saying he supported our need for a stadium but the weasily cvnt never mentioned the word 'Falmer' in his election material once.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Tom Hark said:
Fine quotes in the Argus online today - Marina Pepper losing her rag at the Brighton Lib-Dems. It's all GOOD :clap2:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The party president, Simon Hughes said: "I know it's become a divisive issue. Clearly it's a very important issue locally but it's not a matter the party leadership can resolve.

"It's going through the political process and I hope there's a solution.

"I understand the frustration of fans but local politics is about people making decisions that reflect what voters wish."

I have to say it made me laugh at lunch when I read what Pepper is reported to have done. It was great to see the banner there and I think it got the reception it deserved from us. I did think it was a slight shame they didn’t cross the road though. A picture with the Lib Dem delegates holding up the banner with the all the Albion fans behind would have looked great!

I can understand the party’s leadership not wanting to make sweeping public statements on the subject. However, I cannot agree with the sentiment “but local politics is about people making decisions that reflect what voters wish.” As was pointed out to great effect yesterday, the Seagull’s Party got 20-25% of the vote after only seven weeks! Also, as mentioned yesterday Lewes won’t hold a referendum to see what the public feeling is on the matter. So how can Hughes possibly infer that the majority of the voters are anti Falmer!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure whether this is public knowledge or not, but I'll say it anyway: Marina's under a lot of personal pressure at the moment as her marriage (to Lee) is breaking up and they're both suffering. Also in her heart she knows she's wrong, she knows she took a knee-jerk decision to oppose the stadium without bothering to find out the full facts and she's too stubborn and proud to admit it.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Brovian said:
I'm not sure whether this is public knowledge or not, but I'll say it anyway: Marina's under a lot of personal pressure at the moment as her marriage (to Lee) is breaking up and they're both suffering. Also in her heart she knows she's wrong, she knows she took a knee-jerk decision to oppose the stadium without bothering to find out the full facts and she's too stubborn and proud to admit it.

Blimey. Insight indeed. I wonder how many other members of LDC that applies to? (The bit about stubborn-ness, that is)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tooting Gull

I don't think we should have given a platform to the Tory, if his only link to the cause is that he wants to beat Baker in the election then he's at best a shameless opportunist. Much as I'd love to see Baker out, I'd rather it wasn't to some 'Nice but Dim'. But hey, Labour will never win that seat, so beggars can't be choosers.

So Jenny the Mayor is'nt being opportunist then :glare:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I wasn't convinced he was very pro-Falmer at all, no.

I notice he got only a round of polite appluase, rather than the orgiastic cheers accorded to the Seagulls Party.
Well that realy suprised me:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here