Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official rally/protest thread [merged threads]

Brovian said:
I'm not sure whether this is public knowledge or not, but I'll say it anyway: Marina's under a lot of personal pressure at the moment as her marriage (to Lee) is breaking up and they're both suffering. Also in her heart she knows she's wrong, she knows she took a knee-jerk decision to oppose the stadium without bothering to find out the full facts and she's too stubborn and proud to admit it.

Maybe it's that kind of attitude that has caused her marital problems? "I've made a mistake but I'm damned if I'm going to admit it-nor will I correct my mistake even though there have been numerous opportunities to do so". Doesn't sound as though she is in any way interested in putting matters right either if her reaction to the banner is anything to go by. Let's hope she is suffering within her marriage as much as her actions and her colleagues' actions are causing this football club to suffer.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Large One said:
Totally agree. Everything he said was 'YOU did this and YOU did that - not WE did this...' The dopey tosser couldn't even get that part of electioneering right. :tosser:
By the way, were there any members of the Labour party on the bandwagon

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Totally agree. Everything he said was 'YOU did this and YOU did that - not WE did this...' The dopey tosser couldn't even get that part of electioneering right. :tosser:
I can't believe I'm going to stick up for a Tory but .... surely he's right? After all he wasn't part of the main campaign, if he'd said "WE did this and WE did that" I'm sure you (and others) would be just as quick to jump on him saying, quite rightly, "Where were YOU when we were marching on Archer, chasing Belloti, petitioning the FA, organising Fans Utd, etc, etc."

I think he should be given a bit of credit, he could have easily have not turned up and sent a text to Samrah or someone saying "Good luck with the rally, with you in spirit etc."

There. Now don't make me have to defend a Tory again, it's made me feel all queasy .....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Brovian said:
I can't believe I'm going to stick up for a Tory but .... surely he's right? After all he wasn't part of the main campaign, if he'd said "WE did this and WE did that" I'm sure you (and others) would be just as quick to jump on him saying, quite rightly, "Where were YOU when we were marching on Archer, chasing Belloti, petitioning the FA, organising Fans Utd, etc, etc."

I think he should be given a bit of credit, he could have easily have not turned up and sent a text to Samrah or someone saying "Good luck with the rally, with you in spirit etc."

There. Now don't make me have to defend a Tory again, it's made me feel all queasy .....
:clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brovian said:

You didn't have defend him. He didn't win anyone over, and he didn't smell right.

By the time of the next general election, whisper it, TLO which will probably be 2010, we ought to be playing at Falmer by then, or at least the thing will be being built. So the greasy Tory smarmster can f*** off again.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brovian said:
To be fair, I think you'd have more of a point had he not laid it on so thick at the beginning, when he was going on about how he used to live around the corner from the Goldstone and was such a local boy etc. before saying about how we should have a stadium, without actually specifying where...

I applauded him very slightly. Never done that to a Tory before. I feel UNCLEAN.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Man of Harveys said:
To be fair, I think you'd have more of a point had he not laid it on so thick at the beginning, when he was going on about how he used to live around the corner from the Goldstone and was such a local boy etc. before saying about how we should have a stadium, without actually specifying where...

I applauded him very slightly. Never done that to a Tory before. I feel UNCLEAN.
That's my point - he didn't say 'WE'. He said 'YOU'.

The cheeky ****.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Brovian said:
I can't believe I'm going to stick up for a Tory but .... surely he's right?

It shouldn't have been a "We" or a "You" - it was the area, the community, the county or whatever need Falmer.

He f***ed up. I doubt there were not many votes for him there anyway - but if he wants us campaigning - he needs to do better.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Brovian said:
I'm not sure whether this is public knowledge or not, but I'll say it anyway: Marina's under a lot of personal pressure at the moment as her marriage (to Lee) is breaking up and they're both suffering. Also in her heart she knows she's wrong, she knows she took a knee-jerk decision to oppose the stadium without bothering to find out the full facts and she's too stubborn and proud to admit it.

Well she needs to eat a bit of humble pie. Just because she is going through a personal crisis don't take it out on the rest of us.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
Well she needs to eat a bit of humble pie. Just because she is going through a personal crisis don't take it out on the rest of us.
'Fraid there's no chance of that. Whilst I believe she knows she's wrong from the planning and permission perspective she will NEVER admit it. Also she will still oppose it because it's a football ground and her and her set of friends think that football fans are noisy, unwashed scum, hiding behind planning concerns is her way of disguising it. She says that 'of course Brighton should have a ground' but she would much rather it was in, say, Portsmouth. Incidentally she thinks that we should be directing our anger at DK and MP for 'selling us the pipedream that Falmer was possible'.

I think she must post on here as FG and Ernest!

Last edited:

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
chicken run said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tooting Gull

So Jenny the Mayor is'nt being opportunist then :glare:
Not at all - she is an ex mayor & is not as far as I know standing for any office at the current time.

Also it was her husband Mark who mentioned to me whether local pro Falmer Lib Dems should join the demonstation, as alot of us Lib Dems are pretty pissed off with LDC & Baker. He was also aware of my views/letters in the Argus.

As it happened the invite for invite for Jenny came from the club via Dick Knight & Atilla; unlike the Tory who its seems invited himself.

The approach was on the basis that both (I believe) Jenny but certainly Mark Barnard was on Brighton & Hove planning committe who pushed & approved the Falmer option, in the first place; which Dick would have been aware of.

(Interesting the Tory having no reference to Falmer on his banner; although, no surprise here, as it was the Tories who deselected various council candidates in Woodingdean & East Brighton at the last elections as they were Pro Falmer. Ho hum.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
chicken run said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tooting Gull

So Jenny the Mayor is'nt being opportunist then :glare:
No she wasn't - she was the mayor & AFAIK not currently holding any political office.

Her husband Mark Barnard knowing my pro Falmer stance mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago whether it was worth a group of local Liberal Democrats attending as we were all pretty pissed off with LDC & Baker.

Mark was on Brighton & Hove Council & on the planning committee, voting for Falmer & pushed this through all planning stages.

In fact Atilla asked me if any local Lib Dems could speak & I understand Jenny's invitation was via the club & Dick Knight who will have known of the Barnards's pro Falmer views. Unlike the Tory who I am not sure whether he was invited.

Interestingly no Falmer on his banner (call that a banner?) & wan't it the Tories who in Woodingdean & East Brighton at the last election deselected various local candidates because they were pro Falmer & the anti tories didn't like it one little bit. Ho hum.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
33057 Seagull said:
No she wasn't - she was the mayor & AFAIK not currently holding any political office.

Her husband Mark Barnard knowing my pro Falmer stance mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago whether it was worth a group of local Liberal Democrats attending as we were all pretty pissed off with LDC & Baker.

Mark was on Brighton & Hove Council & on the planning committee, voting for Falmer & pushed this through all planning stages.

In fact Atilla asked me if any local Lib Dems could speak & I understand Jenny's invitation was via the club & Dick Knight who will have known of the Barnards's pro Falmer views. Unlike the Tory who I am not sure whether he was invited.

Interestingly no Falmer on his banner (call that a banner?) & wan't it the Tories who in Woodingdean & East Brighton at the last election deselected various local candidates because they were pro Falmer & the anti tories didn't like it one little bit. Ho hum.

Thoughts from a Lib Dem inside the conference:
- most of the leaflet was great, made the case well. Not too sure if many people agreed with the bit about why Norman Baker lost 5% of the vote; he lost votes mainly because at the last election the Lib Dem campaign was putting more help into Eastbourne and Mid Sussex instead of Lewes, rather than the stadium issue.
- the "Lewes Lib Dems" strapline at the top of the posters in red were difficult to read from the other side of the road, some conference delegates were turned off from listening to the rest of the message because they thought the demo was aimed at all Lib Dems "You're all liars"...
- it got the party talking about the issue, I heard various Lewes Lib Dems being quizzed about the protest inside the conference centre and the hotel bars, which gave others who support the stadium (including me) the chance put the pro-stadium view (including to some MPs).
- David Watkins, also a Lib Dem Hove councillor along with Paul Elgood, and a fairly recent Mayor of Brighton and Hove, is the bloke with the beard holding up one end of the Lib Dems for Falmer banner.
- I joined in the demo myself, and many others inside the conference expressed their support for the stadium.
- David Neighbour aside, I think many other Lewes Lib Dems are now keen to move this issue forward quickly. Keep up the pressure!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
GREAT THREAD.

MAKES ME PROUD TO BE AND ALBION SUPPORTER.
:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here