Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Athletics

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Sanchez in tears throughout the medal ceremony there....I really hope he's clean, seemed like genuine emotion.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Sanchez in tears throughout the medal ceremony there....I really hope he's clean, seemed like genuine emotion.

Drugs make you a bit up and down.

Sorry, being far too cynical. Fair play to the bloke, winning your title back at the age of 34 is some feat.

I've turned over to the boxing now, a bit of british interest tonight, hopefully do better then the athletes!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
James gets it - the first ever Olympic medal of any colour, not just the first Gold, for Grenada.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've turned over to the boxing now, a bit of british interest tonight, hopefully do better then the athletes!

Likewise now, and I can understand your cynicism re: Sanchez.

I hope it's a genuine win though, incredible feat as you say.

Yoda

English & European
Why all the cynicism over Sanchez? It’s not like the guy hasn’t performed like this before. Since roughly 2006 the poor bloke has been plagued by injuries, and this is the first time he’s been fully fit since then. I’m not at all surprised he broke down as he nearly quit the sport last year due to all his troubles. Some where I’ve been this year due to similar circumstances (same event let alone sport), and he’s given me a new kick to give one last go in getting fit.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why all the cynicism over Sanchez? It’s not like the guy hasn’t performed like this before. Since roughly 2006 the poor bloke has been plagued by injuries, and this is the first time he’s been fully fit since then. I’m not at all surprised he broke down as he nearly quit the sport last year due to all his troubles. Some where I’ve been this year due to similar circumstances (same event let alone sport), and he’s given me a new kick to give one last go in getting fit.

Just following the clues of the experts.

Yoda

English & European
Just following the clues of the experts.

What clues were they? That he wasn't their favourite to win? He dominated the event when he was fit and Culson, the favourite, stuffed up hurdle 7.

Sanchez ran his perfect race, out hard like he always does, and hit every hurdle spot on. When you have the technique like he has, nothing can stop you.

I just wish I had some of the flat speed they do, as I’ve always been told I’m technically sound and if I had the speed of some of our (Worthing Harriers) flat runners, who knows what I could’ve achived.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What clues were they? That he wasn't their favourite to win? He dominated the event when he was fit and Culson, the favourite, stuffed up hurdle 7.

Sanchez ran his perfect race, out hard like he always does, and hit every hurdle spot on. When you have the technique like he has, nothing can stop you.

I just wish I had some of the flat speed they do, as I’ve always been told I’m technically sound and if I had the speed of some of our (Worthing Harriers) flat runners, who knows what I could’ve achived.

Listen - I may well have misread it - but all the terms like "where did that performance come from", and emphasising he is 34 and his last time for that level or performance was eight years ago suggested they thought it unexpected to say the least.

Good luck with your comeback by the way.

Yoda

English & European
Listen - I may well have misread it - but all the terms like "where did that performance come from", and emphasising he is 34 and his last time for that level or performance was eight years ago suggested they thought it unexpected to say the least.

I'm surprised they were so surprised. He was the fastest in qualiying for the final only 0.13 slower than he ran in the final (which was then a world leading time) and his season's best going into the games was still the 29th fastest this year and they were by the same 8 people, two of whom weren't even in the final.

Good luck with your comeback by the way.

Cheer's, looking to get fit and back to my best for the 2015 World Veterans (or Masters as they are now called) Championships in Lyon (my first year as one).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I the only one watching the pole-vault thinking that the crowd should be doing an increasingly louder 'whoa' as the the competitors run up, ready to shout 'you're shit' if they fail?
:lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having just watched the Men's 1500m, the commentators said at the start, 'if this was a diamond league event, with pace makers, Kenya would expect a 1-2-3'.

No Kenyan placed, and never looked like they would, for all I know.

So does that mean the Diamond League, with it's pacemakers is all a bit false, and doesn't really 'help' the athletes learn race craft.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We targeted 8 medals and currently have 5.
So not really like the swimming, esp as there may well still be another Mo gold.

The swimming have only out performed judo, of our medal winners:-

Athletics 3 1 1 5
Cycling - Road 1 1 1 3
Canoe Slalom 1 1 0 2
Cycling - Track 7 1 1 9
Equestrian 2 1 0 3
Gymnastics - Artistic 0 1 3 4
Judo 0 1 1 2
Rowing 4 2 3 9
Sailing 1 2 0 3
Shooting 1 0 0 1
Swimming 0 1 2 3
Tennis 1 1 0 2
Triathlon 1 0 1 2

Hopefully Keri -Ann Payne, can restore some credibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here