Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL election night thread

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Know what you mean - I think Brighton would a toilet if the Tories had been in power during the late 80s and into the 90s.

Labour's only saving grace from your post is that Ken Bodfish is no longer the leader of the Labour group - that dubious honour is held by Simon Burgess.

I have little fond words for Lord Bassam either..

I have heard the SDP had a plan to privatise the beaches during the mid 80s, so we could have got bleaker.

I do vaguely remember how bleak this TOWN was back during the early '90s, that concrete JOKE spirit of brighton summed up the spirit of brighton at that time, ugly, out of place and in decline.

Jul 20, 2003
when I used to live in Eastbourne we used to have a lovely Lib MP

dunno what happened to him

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Oh bugger

Lyncombe ward

David Frank BELLOTTI Liberal Democrats 931 Elected
Marian MCNEIR Liberal Democrats 850 Elected
Dan WARREN Conservative Party 840
Gavin RIACH Conservative Party 819
Sebastian BUCKLEY Green Party 387
Don GRIMES Green Party 343
Adrian DOLAN Independent 342

:angry: :angry:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lewes is always one of the last. :(

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Latest news: in Bournemouth, Windsor & Maidenhead, and Torbay, the Tories absolutely PUMMELLED the Lib Dems... taking double figure numbers of seats.

Not inconceivable that this could happen in Lewes I suppose.

Latest from the English council elections: the figures refer to seats....

Lab -129
Con +263
LD -97
Grn +2
BNP nil
UKIP -1

Last edited:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Sigh. Lewes is declared LATER THIS AFTERNOON.

Is that because they've wasted so much taxpayers' money on fighting Falmer that they can't afford to pay people to do the count overnight?

???

From another thread ...

It's difficult to predict how the vote went in my ward (Ringmer & Ouse Valley). At the by-election last August, the result was:-

Lib Dems 44%;
Conservatives 32%
Seagulls 22%
Labour 2%

This time, there is no Labour candidate, one Green candidate and an Independent candidate - and three councillors to be elected. The Tories and Lib Dems each had three candidates and I was the only Seagull.

My general impression, gained from touring the ward's four polling stations during the day, is that the Tories have been putting in a big effort and that the Lib Dems have been doing much less than they did last August. The anti-incinerator feeling at the southern end of the ward continues to benefit the Lib Dems, but this is counterbalanced by a widespread view that the Lib Dems have messed up on local issues in Ringmer (in particular, a plan for a wind turbine on the downs above the village).

One of the Tory candidates was predicting this evening that there will be two Lib Dems and one Tory elected in the ward and that, overall, there will be more Tories on the council than before and a significant drop in the number of Lib Dem councillors.

As for the wards in Lewes town, the Lib Dems seem to be somewhat demoralised, fearing a threat from independent candidates, including The Seagulls Party. But nobody can put any figures of just how the results will turn out.

At the 2003 elections, Lewes elected six Lib Dems and one Independent in the three wards. The established Independent, Ruth O'Keeffe seems certain to be re-elected, and the Green Party are feeling confident about getting at least one councillor elected (in Castle ward, where there was no Seagulls Party candidate).

As for Newhaven ... I haven't much of a clue how things went. In Ned's ward, it will be very difficult to dent the big Lib Dem majority, particularly with the incinerator issue playing well for them.

The future composition of the whole council will depend, above all, on how well the Tories can do in Seaford and East Saltdean & Telscombe. I get the feeling, though, that the Tories' resources were a bit stretched in these places and it's a big ask to expect them to sweep the Lib Dems from power.

But here's hoping. We'll find out later today.

Just for the record, the 2003 results in the other wards being contested by The Seagulls Party ...

Lewes Bridge
Lib Dems 50% (two councillors elected)
Conservatives 19%
Green 17%
Labour 14%

Lewes Priory
Lib Dems 33% (two councillors elected)
Independent 31% (one councillor elected)
Conservative 17%
Green 9%
Labour 9%

Newhaven Denton & Meeching
Lib Dem 52% (three councillors elected)
Conservatives 28%
Green 10%
Labour 10%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here