Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

D

Deleted member 22389

So you dont think by suspending them, you would be effectively be branding them Guilty ????

Nobody is branding them guilty. We just don't need to add fuel to the fire. Supporters are not stupid and the player named will be get so much abuse its just not worth it.
The sensible thing to do is keep these players away from any competitive matches for as long as possible. That's my opinion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You can't judge them as a whole, but as 5 individuals: see how each one is coping individually. If they're up to it, they play. If they wouldn't be able to cope with the crowd, they don't. But they are innocent men and should be considered as such, thus available to turn out

Precedent set by Sunderland this season, who suspended Titus Bramble after he was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.

I'm not recommending that, just pointing it out.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It’s good that the players were named quickly because we couldn’t go out and play if all the team were under suspicion.

Whether innocent or guilty, not one of the players involved will be mentally focused enough to perform and should not be selected for the team until further notice.
At least we can now concentrate with the job in hand and put this PR disaster behind us.

I do wonder if the club had advance warning of the arrests and therefore affected our ability to play at Wrexham. The bobbly pitch didn’t seem a good excuse for an awful performance but advance notice of this event would have certainly affected our game.

Dunk was tweeting happily from the coach on the way home so I guess not!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So you dont think by suspending them, you would be effectively be branding them Guilty ????

Not at all, they are under police investigation for an alleged offence. I used to work at a Post Office and some mail went missing in the back sorting office. A guy was arrested and bailed, but was immediately suspended until the case was eventually dropped. He was on full pay throughout (10 months). Yes, of course there was speculation as to if he was guilty or not (human nature/banter) but he was welcomed back into the fold.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Surely it is a good thing they have been named as now the rest of the team/squad/club can get on with things without everyone thinking that it may be one of them which in turn could have led to all sorts of troubles on and off the field of play.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Headline actually says "accused"....is this true as I assumed they were being "interviewed in connection" with or have they now been charged?

Read the first post properly and/or use Google. Don't encourage speculation.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Not at all, they are under police investigation for an alleged offence. I used to work at a Post Office and some mail went missing in the back sorting office. A guy was arrested and bailed, but was immediately suspended until the case was eventually dropped. He was on full pay throughout (10 months). Yes, of course there was speculation as to if he was guilty or not (human nature/banter) but he was welcomed back into the fold.

Not the same.

Your work colleague was suspended as the alleged crime occured there. I hardly think that the assult took place in a football stadium during a match.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
First up the way NSC has avoided going sordid on this is to be applauded.

As an Albion fan I've been euphoric, drunkenly delirious, nervous beyond belief, frustrated and angry - but I've never felt like this. Worse still my 6 year old lad who lives and breathes the Albion and lights up like a beam when he's at Falmer will see the Argus headline at some stage and will ask the difficult question. That said, could be worse as I could be the father of a Chelsea fan and have to spend my days explaining what John Terry has been up to this week.

There is also a certain irony in the gusto with which the Argus have splashed the story on the front page. They take glee in labelling Brighton fans as whingers and moaners, with the finger often pointing towards here. Well, there may be a bit of well intentioned griping about the little things in life like pies and queues, but when push comes to shove and on the things that really matter the fans stand square behind the club in a responsible and supportive way.

Yes the Argus had a responsibility to report the story, however they have sensationalised it beyond the responsible and the liberal use of our badge and brand on the front page is not welcome.

The players who will be wearing the stripes tomorrow will want our support and they will get it in spades - it's not about having a siege mentality or burrying our heads in the sand - it's about trusting the club to handle it in the right way.
Good post. I especially agree with your first point, I think the way the issue has been dealt with (warnings, bannings, thread lockings, etc) has been very thorough and under the circumstances I think we'd all forgive the mods if they erred on the side of over-zealousness.

Apparently the club don't think that highly of NSC, I guess because not every post is fawning sycophancy and the overly-critical threads/posts are the ones they remember best. Hopefully after this episode they'll see NSC in a new light; we ARE are a pretty responsible community and a lot of good stuff comes off these pages.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
You can't judge them as a whole, but as 5 individuals: see how each one is coping individually. If they're up to it, they play. If they wouldn't be able to cope with the crowd, they don't. But they are innocent men and should be considered as such, thus available to turn out

Read my post again. I said protect the players involved as INDIVIDUALS and the the club as a WHOLE.

And how exactly would you "see" if they are able to cope with playing? Far more experienced players have been left out while involved in similar investigations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here