Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
obviously dunk is the 1 that causes problems here because at the moment he is the only 1st team regular ! do the club pick him for the next 2 months? will his head be right? or do they await march 21st and see what happens? my feeling is he will probably be left out at the moment and then maybe as long as the club think he's ready with all this hanging over him he will be back after a few games
Im sure there were 5 young men not looking forward to arriving at the club this morning waiting to see what gus and tony had to say

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I only hope that if any or all of them are found to be innocent (as I hope is the case), that the Argus print their names in the same size lettering on the front page as they have today, with INNOCENT as the headline, and a full apology for any distress which has been caused as a result of the paper's irresponsible actions.

don't hold your breath, papers just don't do that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its a bloody crying shame that many of the news reports have introduced the news item with a picture of the new stadium. Absolute PR nightmare.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Could I suggest that we all take a copy of today's Argus (or any Argus for that matter) to the Newcastle game, tear it up into strips, and give the Team a ticker tape welcome as they come onto the field - as a fans protest against the Argus's gutter-press sensationalist reporting in this matter.

So you're suggesting we BUY a copy to tear up, in the process giving the Argus one of it's record circulation days of all-time?!?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Wow are you serious?

Totally. If I was manager in this situation, I would not pick these players nor have them considered to play for any Albion side a any level. I feel we have a duty to protect them as individuals (especially as they are all so young) and the club as a whole.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Its a bloody crying shame that many of the news reports have introduced the news item with a picture of the new stadium. Absolute PR nightmare.

Because without the photo of the stadium it's a PR success? I don't think, given the gravity of the accusations the photo of the stadium makes much difference. I'd imagine it's the only albiob related photo they could show that didn't include 'people' - and that could be misinterpreted.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They're tabloid scum, they're bound to revel in it. They love it. They'll want nothing more than the players to go to jail, it would make their century.
Why people buy the local Daily argus Mail scum is beyond me.

D

Deleted member 22389

It’s good that the players were named quickly because we couldn’t go out and play if all the team were under suspicion.

Whether innocent or guilty, not one of the players involved will be mentally focused enough to perform and should not be selected for the team until further notice.
At least we can now concentrate with the job in hand and put this PR disaster behind us.

I do wonder if the club had advance warning of the arrests and therefore affected our ability to play at Wrexham. The bobbly pitch didn’t seem a good excuse for an awful performance but advance notice of this event would have certainly affected our game.

Completely agree. I will take that one step further, none of them should play a competitive match until March. I just feel it would be the completely wrong thing to do , that's my opinion.
The club need to do the right things now. Lets not give the press or away supporters any more ammunition than we need to.
I could not believe what I was reading yesterday. It ruined my day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Sun got into trouble naming the bloke in the Joanna Yeates case, what is the difference with what the Argus have done? I can't remember what the Sun headline was, but the way the Argus front page looks, it does imply they are guilty by association.

Massive difference. These two instances don't come close to marrying up.

The Sun didn't get into trouble for naming Chris Jeffries as a suspect. They went much, much further, and got into trouble for doing a hatchet job on him. After he was taken in for questioning, they and The Mirror printed a stories that accused the man of all sorts of things which were basically made-up lies.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
don't hold your breath, papers just don't do that.

I've watched a lot of the Leveson enquiry into press behaviour and all the editors were asked the question of "Equal prominence". Most of them said that they printed corrections and apologies in a regular place in their respective papers, ofen on page 2 - one or two of them, I think all local papers (actually they were testifying yesterday), did say that they had no problem printing the apology on Page 1. Most of the tabs said they would not print an apology on page 1.

What I never appreciated, that they all seemd to say, that when they were printing apologies, that there are conversations and agreements with the complainant as to what the apology is to say and where is is going to go in the paper, so that generally when you see it printed, it seems that the complainant has agreed to the placing and the wording.

Looks like the players have been told/asked not to post on social media sites, as none seems to have been on twitter this morning.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Totally. If I was manager in this situation, I would not pick these players nor have them considered to play for any Albion side a any level. I feel we have a duty to protect them as individuals (especially as they are all so young) and the club as a whole.

So you dont think by suspending them, you would be effectively be branding them Guilty ????

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I remember when Peter Shilton got caught in the back of a mini with a woman who was not his wife (I know, how did he fit in it?) was still getting stick from the North Stand long after it happened.

Difference of course is that Shilton was a household name, like Titus Bramble who has still not been convicted of anything but gets his name dragged up in cases like this. A more reasonable comparison is John Oster, who was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault when he was a Palace player, that case was dropped and he played without comment at the Amex this season.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham

You can't judge them as a whole, but as 5 individuals: see how each one is coping individually. If they're up to it, they play. If they wouldn't be able to cope with the crowd, they don't. But they are innocent men and should be considered as such, thus available to turn out

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I'd just like to say a mighty well done to Bozza, On The Left Wing and the moderators for the sensitive and sensible way that this has been handled on NSC. Some mighty tough calls correctly made IMHO.

Take a bow all concerned :clap2:

I concur, well done NSC.

I am shocked about the front page this morning and my faith in the press is at a low ebb, although I feel sorry for Andy Naylor. There would be surmising over whom it would be but not publicly and NSC didn't fuel this fire - huge credit to all involved.

Yes we now know who is involved in questioning but we don't know what happened and should not have opinions until the facts come to light.

See you all at London Road

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
You can't judge them as a whole, but as 5 individuals: see how each one is coping individually. If they're up to it, they play. If they wouldn't be able to cope with the crowd, they don't. But they are innocent men and should be considered as such, thus available to turn out

Abso-bloody-lutely

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
obviously dunk is the 1 that causes problems here because at the moment he is the only 1st team regular ! do the club pick him for the next 2 months? will his head be right? or do they await march 21st and see what happens? my feeling is he will probably be left out at the moment and then maybe as long as the club think he's ready with all this hanging over him he will be back after a few games
Im sure there were 5 young men not looking forward to arriving at the club this morning waiting to see what gus and tony had to say

I probably wouldn't select him to start the game purely because if he has spent hours being questioned he will probably be knackered however if Gus feels he is fine then i fully support that decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here