Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He has gone already. He is 14th at the moment, I think he has left too much on the road over the last three weeks. Especially as he has ridden the Giro too.

And that's why you watch Eurosport and not ITV :lol:

cheers

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On that note Pantani, have you got any good internet links for live updates ?, seeing as ITV are a bit sparse on detailed info.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Taaramae out next then, Rolland one rider after that. Come on Pierre...hang on in there for the white jersey !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I notice Rolland was 2:57 behind Tarramae in the Dauphiné on this course recently. Tarramae finished a very respectable 9th that day. That 1:30 lead for Rolland going into today looks even worse than I first thought ? :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rolland 16 seconds down on Tarramae at the 15km checkpoint.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Although a lifelong cyclist I remain a complete luddite when it comes to the technical side of things -

1. How can those solid back wheels not be susceptible to cross-winds?
2. Will spoked wheels ever be a thing of the past or do they remain because they allow the wheel to 'flex' and move with the road, and are also thin and so produce little drag (for want of a better term) on windy days?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rolland 55 secs down on Tarramae at the 3rd checkpoint. This could be close. Hang in there Pierre !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes ! Rolland has hung on to white, only losing 47 seconds to Tarramea :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And looking nailed on for Cadel Evans too :) Probably end up beating Tony Martins time even !

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Had to take my library books today and another cyclist with books overtook me. I led him lead the way and then on a final bend ... whoosh !!! ... I sprinted to the line and got to the queue first.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hypothetical tour etiquette question:

Someone finished 2nd in the GC by just one second on the penultimate stage, be it TT or whatever. However, they are only a few points behind in the green jersey competition, which they decide to turn their attention to in Paris on the Sunday. However, by contesting the sprint, they would be attacking the yellow jersey in Paris, which is supposedly not the done thing. What is the outcome?

(Btw I am aware how unlikely this scenario is these days!)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well done to Voeckler for hanging onto 4th :clap2:

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Someone finished 2nd in the GC by just one second on the penultimate stage, be it TT or whatever. However, they are only a few points behind in the green jersey competition, which they decide to turn their attention to in Paris on the Sunday. However, by contesting the sprint, they would be attacking the yellow jersey in Paris, which is supposedly not the done thing. What is the outcome?

Have you thought of asking Liam Brady ? :lol:

Seriously though, I've no idea what would happen in that scenario.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Although a lifelong cyclist I remain a complete luddite when it comes to the technical side of things -

1. How can those solid back wheels not be susceptible to cross-winds?

They are, but it depends how strong the crosswinds are. They have to be pretty strong to negate the aerodynamic advantages, so they normally go with them unless it is really blowing.

2. Will spoked wheels ever be a thing of the past or do they remain because they allow the wheel to 'flex' and move with the road, and are also thin and so produce little drag (for want of a better term) on windy days?

They will never be a thing of the past for recreational cyclists, as they are the simplest to build and repair. Also as you say they are safest in crosswinds for the everyday cyclist, that being said carbon spokes are becoming more common at the top end so the spoked wheel may not disappear but how it is built may change.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Interesting. I suppose they would just have to contest the stage, that being said it would not be too hard to prevent a large enough gap opening in the peloton for individual times to be recorded.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Superb from Evans. To nearly beat Martin is a phenemonal ride and for that alone he deserves his victory in this years Tour. As a fan of climbers I always prefer it when the Tour is won in the mountains but Evans determination shone through and they just could not crack him when it mattered.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Superb from Evans. To nearly beat Martin is a phenemonal ride and for that alone he deserves his victory in this years Tour. As a fan of climbers I always prefer it when the Tour is won in the mountains but Evans determination shone through and they just could not crack him when it mattered.

Well said that man !

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Was at the pub when he set off on his historic journey.

Everytime the time comparisons came up a big roar would errupt. When the clock ticked from cadel one second behind to 1 second in front the place exploded.

Also everytime the commentators said the word Geelong the crowd errupted.

Greta night out and brilliant result for a rider who imo has been one of the cleanest riders in the peelton for a few years now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here