Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So pleased for Pierre Rolland yesterday. What a stage to take the first win for the French in this year's tour !, and slip into the white jersey in so doing. No one deserves it more if you ask me after all the all work he's done helping Voeckler heroically keep Yellow for so long. Glad that he was obviously given the go ahead today by the Europcar DS to finally leave brave Thomas and go and grab some glory for himself (and the team of course). I'll be rooting for him big time today to hold onto that young rider prize but it looks like it going to be difficult. I'll also be rooting for Tommy to grab a podium place, even though that looks unlikely too.

With moves us onto just what the time gaps will be today in the TT ? I've a sneaking feeling that AS will pull something special out of the bag and hang onto yellow literally by a few seconds. I'm hoping not, as I think Evans really deserves it this year, although with the shit or bust effort of AS on Thursday I wouldn't begrude him the win either.

Fair play to Contador going off like that yesterday, he really had nothing to lose so in some ways I suppose, in hindsight, it was inevitable. I'm with Pantani on not liking this Spanish cartel antics. Brings back memories ( from reading, not watching sadly) of how they robbed Robert Millar of the Vuelta in the mid 80's to allow Pedro Delgado to win. Not nice.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
That's how the sport works though. When you ride for trade teams it doesn't mean you forget who your friends are. You need as many friends in the peloton as possible, either for help, or to avoid being screwed over by others.

It's like sprinters jumping on other lead-out trains (Cavendish on the Garmin train of Wiggins and Millar a couple of years ago, for instance).

42.5km is very short for riders to gain too many minutes, so Evans, A. Schleck, Contador could be the podium. There'll be seconds in it though!

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I'm thinking it's finally going to be Cadel's year, so I reckon he'll be in yellow by the end of today. But my god, does that man need some media training - did you see Matt Rendell's interview with him last night?

As an aside, David Millar told a nice little story over Twitter last night:

"Bernie Eisel and I formed an eternal bond today. We were off the back on our own within the first few kms of the Telegraph. Seemed game over. We'd each have good and bad patches. During one of my bad patches I told Bernie just to go. 'Davie, we go home together, or Paris together.' Camaraderie transcends teams on occasions. That was one of them.

Mind you, he scared the bajesus out of me on the descent of the Galibier."

(Yes I know Twitter is only 140 characters - this was split across four tweets.)

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
As an aside, David Millar told a nice little story over Twitter last night:

"Bernie Eisel and I formed an eternal bond today. We were off the back on our own within the first few kms of the Telegraph. Seemed game over. We'd each have good and bad patches. During one of my bad patches I told Bernie just to go. 'Davie, we go home together, or Paris together.' Camaraderie transcends teams on occasions. That was one of them.

Mind you, he scared the bajesus out of me on the descent of the Galibier."

And that's why you have (and need) friends in other teams. Millar will pay that back at some point in another race.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, but that's all very different to friends based on nationality alone.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Booooooooo! should one of the :yawn:Schleck's win the TDF, they just do not have the character of Cadel Evans or Tommy Voc who have both battled superbly in pursuit of glory - The Schleck's winning is rather like watching :yawn:Pete Sampras rack up another Wimbledon title or :yawn::yawn:Stephen Hendry in the snooker, when we really wanted to see Andre Agassi and Ronnie O'Sullivan win. Great tour though and bar any positive tests the sport 'almost' looks drugs free which is perhaps why it's been such good racing no-one has the 'edge' anymore. Hoping for an ace time trial from :cheers:Cadel today and :cheers:Cav in green tomorrow.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
So Andy Schleck's win on the Galibier after a solo break from the peloton 65km from the end was dull?!? Losing the MJ by 15 seconds dull?? 3 riders within 60 seconds of each other dull? Your first time watching the Tour, by any chance? Give the guy credit where it's due. Miguel Indurain was never particularly exciting.

What exactly do you think sport is about?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've gone an awful lot further, and deeper into this race, this year, it's been hard, I've put it all out there, but I just can't carry on with predictions!.

Andy has to have been TT'ing all winter and most of the spring. If he hasn't he's an idiot and doesn't deserve to win.
Cadel is better.
Contador, I give up.

It's a shame not to many of the favourites here, road this:-
Critérium Du Dauphiné: Stage 3, Route Maps & Results | Cyclingnews.com

Try.

It is Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans wheel to wheel for the maillot jaune. The third place on the podium is open perhaps Contador, perhaps Sanchez, perhaps ...... ? I hope it is Voeckler.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So Andy Schleck's win on the Galibier after a solo break from the peloton 65km from the end was dull?!? Losing the MJ by 15 seconds dull?? 3 riders within 60 seconds of each other dull? Your first time watching the Tour, by any chance? Give the guy credit where it's due. Miguel Indurain was never particularly exciting.

What exactly do you think sport is about?

Couldn't agree more. Andy's attack over the Izoard was one of the all time great attacks of Tour history. We have not seen the likes of this since my namesakes attack on stage 15 of the 1998 Tour.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So predictions in full for today.

To win the stage I am going for Tony Martin as there is no pride in tipping Cancellara to win a TT.

For the yellow Schleck will hang on, just. Evans in second and Contador third.

Young riders jersey will go to Rein Taaramae, who will easily overhaul Rolland.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok no time, as off to Falmer shopping!.

Bollox to it, I'm going for Cadel to do it, but not by much.
Andy will do an impressive time, but Cadel will smash it falling off as he crashes over the line.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
David Millar for a top 3 stage finish today ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Cancellara, third :eek:

Still loads of riders to go too, who would have predicted that?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Shrewd tipping there Pantani seeing as Tony Martin won the Dauphiné on this very course recently ;)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Shrewd tipping there Pantani seeing as Tony Martin won the Dauphiné on this very course recently ;)

All these hours in front of Eurosport have to at least pay off to make me look like I know what I am talking about.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All these hours in front of Eurosport have to at least pay off to make me look like I know what I am talking about.

:lol:

I just make do with retrospective googling and I still manage to look like I haven't got a clue. :blush:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quick question...I assume results from today's stage still count towards team points?

If so then even more incentive for Millar to really go for it to make 100% certain of the team prize for Garmin, especially as there's no Zabriskie.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Quick question...I assume results from today's stage still count towards team points?

If so then even more incentive for Millar to really go for it to make 100% certain of the team prize for Garmin, especially as there's no Zabriskie.

He has gone already. He is 14th at the moment, I think he has left too much on the road over the last three weeks. Especially as he has ridden the Giro too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here