Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How does that palmares stand against that of Valverde or Contador. I'm on the side of right, but when I see this going on consistently I genuinely have to raise my eyebrows. I have experience of Columbian riders and maybe i'm just brutalised to what I have seen.
The reason you have experience of Columbian riders, is, as said genetics and geography.
What they do with that given talent when they are famous is down to them.

AVV and AC are both convicted dopers, who judging by how they are now riding, are racing clean.
Talent gets you so far, then the hard work (or the needle) kicks in.

There's no reason not to believe Quintana isn't currently the real deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you been watching Phil & Paul on ITV4 by any chance??? I really don't know why they do this as they follow cycling throughout the year too and know full well Quintana most certainly hasn't come out of nowhere!
Your kidding?

I've been Eurosporting it for a week now.
Cringing when Schleck has been in the lead group and laughing when he and Kloden have been spat out the back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's been one of the favourites for this tour for some time, and many of us, me included, stated that he'd win today on Ventoux. He didn't, but he showed his class. He has built a solid reputation, and by no means has he come from nowhere. You do him a gross mis-service.
Bold tipped him in post 10 on this thread, and nobody batted an eye lid.
Unlike Jay's Gesink shout!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A proudly held potato. A stuffed boar under the arm. Reeves and Mortimer inspirations.

:bowdown:

Todgers out is a little tacky.

I may have to visit our tour with something obscure.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm starting to like Quintana more and more. From a peasant family, he couldn't afford the bus fare to school, so scaled an 8% mountain everyday on a $30 bike just to get there. His father couldn't afford race fees when he first started his racing, so made a deal with organisers that he'd pay the fee with the winnings after he'd won - which generally he did! It sounds an incredible story.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The question that really needs to be asked (and answered) is 'what would make you believe that cycling is clean?' If this cannot be answered by the journalists, fans, teams and race organisers then there is no hope. If Froome IS clean, what can he do or say to convince people? If Froome ISN'T clean, what does that do to the rest of British Cycling?
You can't prove a negative.

Saddam Hussain couldn't prove he didn't have WMD!

All the things that make it easier for me to believe the Tour is clean (certainly the cleanest it's been in years), are all the reasons being used against it.
Or at the very least being flagged up in the articles surrounded by coy, knowing 'facts'.

Everyone knew what was going to happen this tour, and it's happened, now everyone's surprised :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At this time of heightened sensitivity to doping, if hypothetically Froome was doping, would you seriously attack the Ventoux like he did?

If you were consciously cheating, I think you'd probably stick with Quintana, be happy at the time gained, and maybe pinch the stage win on the line. You wouldn't want to 'highlight' your performance in such an obvious way would you!?

He's just got himself into superb form and condition, his confidence is through the stratosphere, and he looks like he's loving every moment, as am I!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At this time of heightened sensitivity to doping, if hypothetically Froome was doping, would you seriously attack the Ventoux like he did?

If you were consciously cheating, I think you'd probably stick with Quintana, be happy at the time gained, and maybe pinch the stage win on the line. You wouldn't want to 'highlight' your performance in such an obvious way would you!?

He's just got himself into superb form and condition, his confidence is through the stratosphere, and he looks like he's loving every moment, as am I!
Which can be leveled at all doped up past winners.

I love the little bit in that article that says Movistar were tested morning and afternoon.

If that was a full team test, that'll probably be more tests carried out in one day, than all of the Premier League next season.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Which can be leveled at all doped up past winners.

I love the little bit in that article that says Movistar were tested morning and afternoon.

If that was a full team test, that'll probably be more tests carried out in one day, than all of the Premier League next season.

Not really, because past winners never had the systematic doping in the sport revealed like it has been.

Previously, it was thought the odd rogue cyclist, or even team were at it, not everyone. The heightened sense of reform and fair play must mean there is a greater sense of not being able to get away with it??

Or am I being naive?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really, because past winners never had the systematic doping in the sport revealed like it has been.

Previously, it was thought the odd rogue cyclist, or even team were at it, not everyone. The heightened sense of reform and fair play must mean there is a greater sense of not being able to get away with it??

Or am I being naive?
A little.

Every performance that was too good to be true, was usually questioned.
Maybe not instantly but eventually fingers would be pointed as whispers got louder.

If CF had held back, he'd now be getting 'did you sandbag so as not to look suspicious?'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling jumps the shark.

[tweet]356816430852874240[/tweet]

answer

[tweet]356819871226540032[/tweet]

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Saw an interview on Dutch TV with Nico Verhoeven (one of belkin's sports directors), with the sound down, he had his sunglasses on the top of his head and I thought: why are they talking to Right Said Fred?

Attachments

• Rabo-Verhoeven.jpg
    Rabo-Verhoeven.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 132

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rest day viewing that I forgot to put up on the last rest day, just in case anyone's fancies it:

[yt]wTTEzTkazPw[/yt]

[yt]UFJt_jMnuFY[/yt]

[yt]1ApvF1o_R4A[/yt]

Must admit I haven't watched them all myself yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To liven up the rest day, even though we were pretty busy this morning, I was going to do a terribly sexist 'bestest jersey podium girl' vote.

Sadly I couldn't find any decent pictures.
Although it's a bit of a moot point as green jersey wins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 16, Stage 16: Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap 168km

stage_16_map_600_1_670.jpg

stage_16_profile_600_1_670.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
July 16, Stage 16: Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap 168km

Today is the day! What day I hear you ask? The day a Frenchman will win a stage. Breakaway will stick unless Cannondale are prepared to bury themselves for an entire day chasing. I expect a reasonably large group to go away, some Frenchies to work together to make it stick, then one of them to win.

My tip Chavanel.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Today is the day! What day I hear you ask? The day a Frenchman will win a stage. Breakaway will stick unless Cannondale are prepared to bury themselves for an entire day chasing. I expect a reasonably large group to go away, some Frenchies to work together to make it stick, then one of them to win.

My tip Chavanel.

I would love to see that. I love Sylvain. However, I think today's winner will come fro just north of the Belgian border...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here