Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
CF has a big lead, but its not a done deal, Sky will be attacked from all quarters especially as they lost over a minute two days ago. Yes CF is the best climber but he has to get to the climbs reasonably close to the front to make it count. It was a stellar ride today, absolutely fantastic, but don't underrate the opposition, they have the capability and desire to claw time from him. Tiredness can hit a team or individuals at varying times, Richie Porte's supporting role in the Pyrenees was followed by a below average day the next day, I don't feel that this years team with CF as team leader is a strong as last years with CF supporting Wiggins. Notable today was the performance of Schleck, no doubt toned down by the events of last year in his family.

I agree, it's never a done deal. Personally I can't see Froome losing it form here, but I don't want to jinx it, so I'll point out that his team is still vulnerable with the massive loss of Kiryienka and EBH. They done a superb job today though that's for sure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quintana best young rider? He looks about seventy five years old! :ohmy:

images

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looks like it will close for second place on the podium.

The Dutch team Belkin could reduce the lead on Friday up the really big mountains.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CF has a big lead, but its not a done deal, Sky will be attacked from all quarters especially as they lost over a minute two days ago. Yes CF is the best climber but he has to get to the climbs reasonably close to the front to make it count. It was a stellar ride today, absolutely fantastic, but don't underrate the opposition, they have the capability and desire to claw time from him. Tiredness can hit a team or individuals at varying times, Richie Porte's supporting role in the Pyrenees was followed by a below average day the next day, I don't feel that this years team with CF as team leader is a strong as last years with CF supporting Wiggins. Notable today was the performance of Schleck, no doubt toned down by the events of last year in his family.
Schleck wasn't toned down, that's as good (better) than we were ever likely to get.

Belkin and Saxo can't attack Sky without letting Movistar, Katusha and Astana in.

Sky let it slip once, and nobody capitalised. I can't see it happening again.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I agree, it's never a done deal. Personally I can't see Froome losing it form here, but I don't want to jinx it, so I'll point out that his team is still vulnerable with the massive loss of Kiryienka and EBH. They done a superb job today though that's for sure.

Not a negative thought in me, just highlighting the fact that this is the Tour and its never a done deal until he reaches the Champs Elysee. His team is weakened and they will be attacked and he has to be defended and stay on his bike

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Colombian climber appearing from nowhere, well that's never happened before, they ride until just about to be caught. he won't be around long.
Nowhere, oh dear, the same small minded mistake made by some American journos.

Quintana has a decent palmares that holds up to scrutiny, as well as anyone's can in this day and age.
It's no surprise to those who follow the sport all year for 2 years that Quintana is where he is now.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Schleck wasn't toned down, that's as good (better) than we were ever likely to get.

Belkin and Saxo can't attack Sky without letting Movistar, Katusha and Astana in.

Sky let it slip once, and nobody capitalised. I can't see it happening again.

It may not be one team that attacks it could be more, deals are made before the stage and even on the road, so I can see mutual alliances attacking Sky, everyone needs something from the Tour, not sure that Sky completely have the control that is being suggested. I also believe that CF will win though.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Quintana has a decent palmares that holds up to scrutiny, as well as anyone's can in this day and age.
It's no surprise to those who follow the sport all year for 2 years that Your right, its no surprise to me that he is where he is now Quintana is where he is now.

Your right, its no surprise that he is where he is now, of course he didn't come from out of the blue, but such a strong performance? He did however have a two month training block in Colombia immediately before the Tour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It may not be one team that attacks it could be more, deals are made before the stage and even on the road, so I can see mutual alliances attacking Sky, everyone needs something from the Tour, not sure that Sky completely have the control that is being suggested. I also believe that CF will win though.
Sky don't have control as I said they have dug Prudhomme out of a hole by only just being good enough.

Belkin aren't forming alliances with anybody.
Saxobank can't form an alliance with Movistar because that could cost them second place.
Movistar could team up with Astana and/or Katusha but they would be looking to overhaul 4 riders from 2 teams.

As said they had their chance last Sunday and they all blew it.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

It's no surprise to those who follow the sport all year for 2 years that Quintana is where he is now.

Do you think team Sky are strong enough to see Froome win this year ? The guy looks like he could do it on he's own.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your right, its no surprise that he is where he is now, of course he didn't come from out of the blue, but such a strong performance? He did however have a two month training block in Colombia immediately before the Tour.
He's a 5 foot 5 Columbian that weighs 57kgs and lives at 2000 metres above sea level.

Genetics and biology alone gets him up Mount Ventoux on a penny farthing faster than 50% of the peloton.

His palamres:-
1st Overall Tour de l'Avenir (jnr Tour de France)
1st Stages 6 & 7
1st Jersey Mountains classification, Volta a Catalunya
1st Jersey Overall Vuelta a Murcia
1st Stage 1
1st Jersey Overall Route du Sud
1st Stage 3
1st Giro dell'Emilia
1st Stage 6 Critérium du Dauphiné
1st Stage 1 (TTT) Vuelta a España
1st Young rider classification, Vuelta a la Comunidad de Madrid Tour of Spain)
1st Jersey Overall Tour of the Basque Country
1st Stage 4
1st Jersey Points classification
4th Overall Volta a Catalunya
1st Stage 3
7th Overall Vuelta a Andalucía

I don't see what else he's supposed to do?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you think team Sky are strong enough to see Froome win this year ? The guy looks like he could do it on he's own.
It's a very different race when you have minutes in your back pocket, and a TT still to come.

Froome isn't going to blow up.
Teams can't just take 1 or 2 minutes out of him.
Any team that does, say Belkin, then Saxo will have to chase and all Froome has to do is sit on their wheel.

No time will be taken back on the last day.
So they have 4 stages to take 6 minutes (that's a very good TT) and one of those is a 125km shoot out.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
He's a 5 foot 5 Columbian that weighs 57kgs and lives at 2000 metres above sea level.

Genetics and biology alone gets him up Mount Ventoux on a penny farthing faster than 50% of the peloton.

His palamres:-
1st Overall Tour de l'Avenir (jnr Tour de France)
1st Stages 6 & 7
1st Jersey Mountains classification, Volta a Catalunya
1st Jersey Overall Vuelta a Murcia
1st Stage 1
1st Jersey Overall Route du Sud
1st Stage 3
1st Giro dell'Emilia
1st Stage 6 Critérium du Dauphiné
1st Stage 1 (TTT) Vuelta a España
1st Young rider classification, Vuelta a la Comunidad de Madrid Tour of Spain)
1st Jersey Overall Tour of the Basque Country
1st Stage 4
1st Jersey Points classification
4th Overall Volta a Catalunya
1st Stage 3
7th Overall Vuelta a Andalucía

I don't see what else he's supposed to do?

How does that palmares stand against that of Valverde or Contador. I'm on the side of right, but when I see this going on consistently I genuinely have to raise my eyebrows. I have experience of Columbian riders and maybe i'm just brutalised to what I have seen.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

He's been one of the favourites for this tour for some time, and many of us, me included, stated that he'd win today on Ventoux. He didn't, but he showed his class. He has built a solid reputation, and by no means has he come from nowhere. You do him a gross mis-service.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Colombian climber appearing from nowhere, well that's never happened before, they ride until just about to be caught. he won't be around long.

Have you been watching Phil & Paul on ITV4 by any chance??? I really don't know why they do this as they follow cycling throughout the year too and know full well Quintana most certainly hasn't come out of nowhere!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here