Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did. I just hate his type of rider.

When you see Jens V working his tail off only to finally crack, guys like this I can't respect their wins.
There's lots of reasons to get in the break, Jens and Dave weren't there to win, in fairness their team mates were unlikely too either, although Bakelants was as aggressive as Albasini.
That way is a hell of a lot easier than taking turn after turn pushing the break away train along to the point where the main peleton can't catch them.
No break away would ever succeed if there weren't riders who worked their butts off. When they win we applaud them. When guys like this win, nobody remembers them or takes great joy in their wins.
In the last 5kms Trenkin gambled that the other would catch Simon.
Had they not Trenkin would have lost the chance of a Tour stage win, who's to say another would ever present itself.
He didn't do anything different to Rojas & Talansky.

Albasini may have done nothing had it not been for Lars Bak, where does it end?

As said, on a level I do agree there was more than a touch of winning ugly today, because of Simon's attack.
Had he popped out and done over Simon in the last 50 metres then I'd have a very different opinion.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As a nod to my 14yr old who has an amazing memory for stage finishes, and to remind myself that it did actually happen - here's the Mont Ventoux stage finish from 2009 and a rather surprising 2nd place finisher:

[yt]5_eUVpjlj-A[/yt]

Perhaps a break can stay away tomorrow too? I'd absolutely love it if a young Frenchie could hold off all the GC boys and nick the win on Bastille Day. And if it's Rudy Molard, even better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 14, Stage 15: Givors - Mont Ventoux 242.5km

stage_15_map_600_1_670.jpg

stage_15_profile_600_1_670.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No predictions again SB? You sure you still want this job ???

I'm going for:

1. Rudy Molard
2. Romain Bardet
3. Thomas Voeckler

Tommy of course gifting the stage win to Rudy as he hands over the baton to the future of French cycling on Bastille day.

Vive la révolution! :)

Of course, all those blokes riding for GC might have some say in all this, but who cares about that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's no downhill, there's only one winner, no point predicting.

It's a done deal.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
While I basically feel the same, isn't that the basic job of a sprinter?

Sort of, but everyone knows that, and they'll be a passenger on their own team's train. In a break like today's there were no 'teams' as such (no more than 2 riders from any one team) so everyone had to work together to make it stick - there were no domestiques there today. Passengers aren't welcome as they benefit from the collective work of others without pulling their weight. However, it's a race and judgement is as important as speed, power and guts. Trenkin judged his sprint perfectly. It may not be stylish, or gallant, but he took the win and that's all the history books will show.

I think everyone wanted Simon to win - the courage of a solo attack that is almost certain to fail is great to watch and is to be respected. Very rarely it succeeds - sadly today was not one of those days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Pedantic pedant writes ...

A la the Foreign Legion when you job Quickstep, you're own nationality no longer exists, you are a Belgiumer.

And if you need proof of that just watch his post-race interview with Ned. (40 mins into the ITV4 highlights).

WAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT!!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Quintana today. I forgot that it was Bastille Day, but am not overly bothered, as nobody French will be up there. Famous last words...

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm expecting Tommy V to go on a crazy attack and gurn his way to a famous defeat. This stage has Quintana written all over it, so there's a very good chance he'll be dropped before the final climb. This year's Tour's mental - anything could happen. Marcel Kittel, anyone?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]356362271536062464[/tweet]

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Someone throw some names at me please? I'll be in bed Ill all day and fancy a flutter, seeing as I won't be up to anything else all day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone throw some names at me please? I'll be in bed Ill all day and fancy a flutter, seeing as I won't be up to anything else all day.
Thibaut Pinot's going to win, how many other names do you want?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here