Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NSC 'Words with Friends' Super League - Player Registration

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I started a random game with a lady called Julie1906 (or something similar). My first word was 'anal' to her 'girl' and I haven't heard from her since :down:

The draw will be completed when I return from the gymnasium.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
thats the trouble with these games, there is no anti-cheating system, as Easy says Wordsmith gives you 3 attempts and thats it but that does'nt stop people using cheats. Using a Dictionary altogether is a grey area and even though I dont use one I dont see the problem in using one if you're checking if the word your thinking about it legal......but then where do you stop?!

f*** it lets all play Angry Birds instead!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Zulu and co are near the top of my list of annoyances.

I like the sound of that Wordsmith, but not sure it will stop the dictionary cheats who just bosh out some random word at the first time of asking.

I was playing a guy at work who came up with something utterly ridiculous that didn't even look like a word at all, I can't recall it now. He then admitted he uses an online anagram-maker. I mean whats the frigging POINT ??

That was our last game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
thats the trouble with these games, there is no anti-cheating system, as Easy says Wordsmith gives you 3 attempts and thats it but that does'nt stop people using cheats. Using a Dictionary altogether is a grey area and even though I dont use one I dont see the problem in using one if you're checking if the word your thinking about it legal......but then where do you stop?!

f*** it lets all play Angry Birds instead!

I think dictionaries are ok if you're checking whether a word you have in mind is legit and spelt correctly (and with the limited attempts on Wordsmith thats certainly more of a factor). I generally don't have one to hand anyway though !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I started a random game with a lady called Julie1906 (or something similar). My first word was 'anal' to her 'girl' and I haven't heard from her since :down:

The draw will be completed when I return from the gymnasium.

:lolol:
marvellous. We should hook her up with El Pres, the smut he gets away with has to be seen to be believed.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I think dictionaries are ok if you're checking whether a word you have in mind is legit and spelt correctly (and with the limited attempts on Wordsmith thats certainly more of a factor). I generally don't have one to hand anyway though !

I usually ask people i'm around if this or that is a word.....is that cheating? :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was playing my dad once, and it wouldn't let him have SAXON.

He went apeshit.

I have just logged into my wwf account to find that it had automatically ceded a load of games on my behalf as I hadn't played for 2 weeks. It's a fair cop, apologies to all of those concerned. However it has no largely cleared my plate for the league that is to come...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am proposing to do six groups of SEVEN - we have 42 players - playing each other twice (one home and one way - i.e. you start one and are invited to the other).

The top two from each group progress to a knockout with the four best runners up.

The the next 16 players will then have a knockout competition.

The lowest 8 will have their own knockout tournament - a two-legged affair (bottom two from each group and the next two worst performers).

Hopefully that will work - we shall see!

The draw has been made. I shall start a new thread for it.

Last edited:

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I've just had someone (not an NSCer) play Wanigan against me. They messaged me to say they were stuck so looked and found it in the dictionary - it's something to do with a lumberjack. I asked if that was cheating. They replied it keeps the game moving.

They then played 'Trop' on a TW with the P on a TL for a score of 60 something. Trop?!?

Oy... That's me :)
Had I wanted to "cheat", I would hardly have told you I looked it up in a dictionary.
I had looked at the words-for-friends "rules", which indicated that dictionary use was OK.
Mostly I don't bother. Otherwise i'd be spending 4 or more hours a day looking words up.

But it is a fantastic word... and now we all know it!

Wanigan... rolls of the tongue. Sounds like it could have a multitude of meanings from the Oxtail English dictionary.

Trop is one of those words like CWM, ID, POOK, which you store up because you've been had by them before.

Anyhoo... To forestall any premature confibulations, (Copyright Blackadder), are we going to adopt any "honor" rules for these matches?
I'm happy either way.
I play scrabble closed book competetively.
But also open book, to maximise scores and learn new words, i.e. an agreement between players to use the dictionary, increase wordpower, and try to beat an 800 combined score.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here