Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NSC Mafia

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
If one poster put's his or her point of view / opinion across, there is no harm in another poster putting theirs across either, in doing that you will almost inevitably, in the space of a few posts start of a debate, just like in a face to face debate it will end up in people saying things like "I'm sorry but I think you are wrong" ok i have done a mild example, as we all see ofton the replies are a lot stronger.
But in my opinion I really do 100% believe that the reason why NSC is so successfull is because the mods do allow the debate to flow (in most cases) but in all fairness to ourselves, we do stop threads if they get to a pure slanging match.
As for your comment "I think its time the mods should perhaps inform the ones that constantly shoot down posters" I, and I know other mods do this, send private messages to anyone that is starting to go over the top and get to insult stage, obviously if it goes to far short bans are implemented, I personally have started removing stupid comments and the like and sending what i call "Friendly Advice" to the poster, that way it reduces bans but also helps with the flow of the board.
Really pleased your Grandson is fully recovered and I hope your illness is soon over :thumbsup:

Many thanks Hitony, especially regarding my Grandson for whom supporting the Albion is not an option, his dad is a Liverpool follower so I feel its my duty to take control of that situation. He's now fit as a fiddle, think I'll get him to work on his left foot so that we have one for the future.

El Presidente makes some interesting points. I said this is supposed to be a debating board, which I've always respected this board for (El Presidente's response - Is it) Your response Hitony indicates it is a board for debate

Regarding the warning for people shooting posters down, this was more aimed about the simple things like spelling mistakes, and it seems people are waiting to pounce. From your comments I see that you have a policy on this already, and a fair one at that, it just gets boring when someone is straight on saying you've spelt that word/this word wrong.

Another board taking over NSC - I know other boards exist El Presidente, what I'm inferring is that posters will soon go elsewhere or someone will set-up another board of NSC QUALITY, using IP addresses to filter out the ones who shoot people down on here. Even if you were to use a different IP address the manner of your posts would still come through in the end....old habits die hard

As for people having their user names on the backs of their shirts and introducing each other by their user names when meeting. El Presidente, this is not a sweeping generalisation, its an observation and something I've noticed more so regarding the shirts, in fact I have spotted yourself with your user name on the back of your shirt. This has also been highlighted by other posters as well, one recently commenting on witnessing the introductions to each other in a pub before the game by their user names and is nothing short of cringeworthy.

In summary we are collectively all Brighton fans with various opinions. Let it remain that way and stop the binfest when someone makes a simple speling mistake !!

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Many thanks Hitony, especially regarding my Grandson for whom supporting the Albion is not an option, his dad is a Liverpool follower so I feel its my duty to take control of that situation. He's now fit as a fiddle, think I'll get him to work on his left foot so that we have one for the future.

El Presidente makes some interesting points. I said this is supposed to be a debating board, which I've always respected this board for (El Presidente's response - Is it) Your response Hitony indicates it is a board for debate

Regarding the warning for people shooting posters down, this was more aimed about the simple things like spelling mistakes, and it seems people are waiting to pounce. From your comments I see that you have a policy on this already, and a fair one at that, it just gets boring when someone is straight on saying you've spelt that word/this word wrong.

Another board taking over NSC - I know other boards exist El Presidente, what I'm inferring is that posters will soon go elsewhere or someone will set-up another board of NSC QUALITY, using IP addresses to filter out the ones who shoot people down on here. Even if you were to use a different IP address the manner of your posts would still come through in the end....old habits die hard

As for people having their user names on the backs of their shirts and introducing each other by their user names when meeting. El Presidente, this is not a sweeping generalisation, its an observation and something I've noticed more so regarding the shirts, in fact I have spotted yourself with your user name on the back of your shirt. This has also been highlighted by other posters as well, one recently commenting on witnessing the introductions to each other in a pub before the game by their user names and is nothing short of cringeworthy.

In summary we are collectively all Brighton fans with various opinions. Let it remain that way and stop the binfest when someone makes a simple speling mistake !!

To try and answer / give my opinion on your above post, It is without doubt a message board, yes that would include debating of course.
I've used the board for some 5+ years people have always been petty on picking up on spelling mistakes (in the past i did a few times myself :blush:) and any flaw in a sentance, to be honest to stop that would be almost impossible, as i said on another thread the other day, the reason NSC is so successfull is because we try and let it flow, to have hard and fast rules would just not work, of course there are things that will not be tolerated, but I personally don't believe that to try and stop members from being petty, is really possible and if we were to try and impose penaltys for things like that, it would go down hill very fast, my only suggestion is you try and ignore those types of things.
As for other boards taking over, I think we all know there are other boards in existence, many have left, many come back again as well, and many who do "Flounce" as it is called, ofton still monitor the board as a guest, that I do know for a fact! so I pesonally would suggest that NSC is well established within it's field.
I can't reply about the Brighton shirts having user names on them, yes i have seen them many times, but in all honesty it does not bother me, I wouldnt personally do it, but if thats what some want to do i suppose its their choice. I have met a few members at away games, but I personally cant use user names in real life.

I hope i have given an answer / honest opinion to some of the issues you have bought up.

By the way....SPELLING has two "L"s.....:lolol:....that was a joke Jim....:lolol: i know you did it on pupose.
Cheers
Tony

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I did used to have an Albion shirt with my user name on it...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Its called Brighton humour and I love reading through these pages and as someone has already said we are all Albion supporters and there is always going to be differences of opinion and long may that continue because if we all thought alike what a drab world this would be.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Sorry I did mean to add, and this is a general opinion of mine, but as for cliques and mafia's being in place, personally I dont agree that this actually happens, some people will get on with others better than some, and of course you will have members who do know each other in real life so they will ofton support each other but that happens in every day life in the real world, all message boards will have members who are more knowledegable about some subjects more than others, and all message boards will have its share of idiots, we are not missing out on that part either!! that said we do filter out the real idiots who only come on the board to disrupt it.
And can everyone PLEASE remember there is a report button on each and every post, if you think its wrong, report it, can i also explain how that works, when a post is reported, all the mods get an e mail to there private e mail address, it also gets lodged in a section in "Mod Towers" the first mod to see it will respond to it, if he can, that mod will then decide what to do about it, as i have said, there are no hard and fast rules, but for example if we get a reported post about spam, we all ban that person for good now, we do get a good deal of reports on spam daily, when we get a reported post about something someone has said etc, the mod will deal with it as he sees fit, the system in place is probably the best and fairest.
Cheers
Tony

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I'm not sure I agree with that. There is some debate on NSC, but there are also rants, pisstakes, information and disinformation. There are idiots, comic geniuses, informed and uninformed comments on here.

Are 'people' really waiting to pounce? I think the majority of people have better things to do with their time. If someone can't spell then it does say something about them in terms of their level of educational attainment, but that does not mean that their views are any less or indeed more relevant. However if you take a look at some threads (the 'we're all in in together' one comes to mind for example), those people who can string a sentence together do come across as having a more reflective and therefore informed position that the one line 'Brown/Tories/Cameron is a ****' brigade.

People are welcome to set up other boards, and the level of censorship has tended to be much greater (always-skint) or less (NSP) than that of NSC, and the level of posting and success of those boards reflects those editorial choices of their owners. There is also brightonfans.com, where former NSC posters (including, but not restricted to, some spectacular flouncers tend to gather) congregate, and good luck to them, the internet is big enough for everyone.

{quote} As for people having their user names on the backs of their shirts and introducing each other by their user names when meeting. El Presidente, this is not a sweeping generalisation, its an observation and something I've noticed more so regarding the shirts, in fact I have spotted yourself with your user name on the back of your shirt. [/quote].

I think this was a trend about 7/8 years ago, but IMO it died out fairly quickly. I know my shirt is a very old one.

This has also been highlighted by other posters as well, one recently commenting on witnessing the introductions to each other in a pub before the game by their user names and is nothing short of cringeworthy.

What exactly makes it 'cringeworthy'? I have met many people via NSC, and I have to say the vast majority of them are splendid chaps and chicks, and have become firm friennds with some of them too, many have provided superb support and advice for my personal circumstances in recent times and I am very grateful for their support. Whether I refer to someone as Beach Hut or his christian name when I meet him is surely a personal choice, and it seems very judgemental of others to look down on it, again IMO. [/quote]

I think you are overstating the reaction to smelling mistakes personally.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Or they could be mates in real life that just happen to post on here as well...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As I live a long way from Brighton I have the "advantage" of knowing no-one on here personally and whilst there are obviously some friendships apparent it is more often a case of informal alliances forming and they shift constantly.

There are some posters whose presence on here is entirely benign and there are some who have an inate ability to get under everyones' skin (DebsBHA was one and Jimbo.GRFC seems well on the way to becoming a more current example). Mostly that is their deliberate intent, only sometimes not. And of course we have our share of resident fruitcakes (no names no packdrill as my old man was wont to say) and spammers and fools (Davesviews!).

NSC possesses an extra-ordinary wealth of good humour and wit (rants and flounces included) and rarely is anyone unfairly or unreasonably persecuted and the mafia are pretty good at putting the blocks on it when it does occur. I've been on a fair number of sites as I make a habit of looking to see how the opposition are doing. Few if any are as eclectic in their content or as moderate in their administration as this one which is why it is successful. They certainly have no need to defend themselves.

Up the mafia I say - and you can take that whichever way you wish :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
so there you have it, straight from the horses mouth ???

Incoherent, nonsensical, lacking rhyme or reason as always from our resident wannabe hooligan and racist. Hassocks, your idiot is calling, do you want him back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here