Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Next game for me is Loxwood v Seaford, hoping no response from this result please ???

Nice trip to the middle of the countryside then.
Newhaven still have their main striker out but still scored ten. I’m sure Seaford will do well after seeing them against Peacehaven in the cup.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well well well, a second consecutive victory for Horffsham YMCA last night, this time by 2-1 away to Dorking Wanderers, (albeit the reserves), in the Peter Bentley Cup.

Some may claim it top be a bit of a Mickey Mouse competition, but to my mind a victory is a victory, and wins breed condidence. Long may it continue.

Back to League duties on Saturday with an away fixture against Bexhill United at the Polegrove. A game l'll miss alas, as on Albion duty.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
Crossed the border into Kent to watch Hastings United beat Hythe 3-0.
A crap first half but went into HT 1-0 courtesy of a penalty, second half they grew into the game and two goals in quick succession sealed the game. I'd say over the 90 minutes a draw would've been a fair result, but possibly a good sign that the side aren't putting in the best of performances and winning 3 points...

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Deserved win for Havant in torrential rain last night.
The home side on top in the first half but had only 1 goal to show for their dominance.
Torquay had their best 5 minutes in the match just before half time, scored twice and went in at the break 2.1 in front.
Cracking volley from the edge of the box brought Havant level. Torquay reduced to 10 men after their left back was sent off and Havant took advantage to score 2 in the last 8 minutes to go through to play Charlton away in the 1st round.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The home side on top in the first half but had only 1 goal to show for their dominance.
Torquay had their best 5 minutes in the match just before half time, scored twice and went in at the break 2.1 in front.
Cracking volley from the edge of the box brought Havant level. Torquay reduced to 10 men after their left back was sent off and Havant took advantage to score 2 in the last 8 minutes to go through to play Charlton away in the 1st round.

This was the replay from an equally exciting game at Torquay on Saturday with Havant equalising twice in the 2nd half, the 2nd of which in the 94th minute. The 4-2 victory last night echoes their 4-2 victory in their 3rd round replay against Swansea in 2007. You probably couldn't pick a better draw than away to Charlton in the first round to be honest, great day out for them in prospect.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Was my 46th game of the season last night, My Torquay mate was very frustrated with the performance, they only turned up with 4 players on the bench with an injury/cup tied depleted squad, but from a neutral perspective the game was very decent, Havant look a very decent side at times, especially number 7, who scored the mentioned fantastic volley. Charlton in the next round will be a good day out. Will probably make the trip to St Albans for the 1st round on sunday the 7th, 17.15 KO.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Crossed the border into Kent to watch Hastings United beat Hythe 3-0.
A crap first half but went into HT 1-0 courtesy of a penalty, second half they grew into the game and two goals in quick succession sealed the game. I'd say over the 90 minutes a draw would've been a fair result, but possibly a good sign that the side aren't putting in the best of performances and winning 3 points...

Was also at the the Reachfields Stadium Tuesday night for the first time and what a great ground it is . At least 3/4 covered with the spectators close to the pitch and a club shop selling vintage programs including Albion ones .
Shame there was only 225 there with probably half from Hastings . Hope Hythe can find a replacement sponsor after an " anonymous doner" has pulled out and thrown their plans for future development into doubt . Noticed Nathan Elder was in charge of the Cannons , looked like he could still put a shift on the pitch if required

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just wondered if anyone else noticed Rohan Ince's return to Sussex last Saturday? Part of the Woking team that went down 1-0 to Horsham in the FA Cup.

On his day he was a player to be reckoned with when at the Albion . . . the problem was those days didn't come around quickly enough.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Indeed. One every other day!? I salut you [MENTION=21244]jackalbion[/MENTION]

More or less, but this does include pre season to be fair, I work up in London so I usually try to catch one on my days in the office, Mondays, Thursdays and Friday are the days which are usually difficult to find games on, but a couple of ground sharing teams in the Isthmian usually provide a Wednesday and Sunday game. For some strange reason I decided on the 1st game of the season to try and get to 100 games, I think mainly because I missed football so much over lockdown. I tend to talk to a lot of random people so usually end up going along to different games with people I know (for example Torquay and Swindon Town away ends this week at Havant and Sutton).

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just wondered if anyone else noticed Rohan Ince's return to Sussex last Saturday? Part of the Woking team that went down 1-0 to Horsham in the FA Cup.

On his day he was a player to be reckoned with when at the Albion . . . the problem was those days didn't come around quickly enough.

I watched the match. I saw Rohan a few times at Lancing - including his first match. He came as a centre-back I believe but was good at carrying the ball, and he could get around the pitch and played in the middle. At the time every club was looking for a Yaya and he looked promising. I can't remember why it didn't work out for us - other than the obvious. He did some good things at the Cup game, but not much to stand out. To be honest Woking are a long ball team so it was launched more often than not to the big centre-forward. I suspect he has found his level.

After the game I was chatting with one of the Horsham players and he said that the teams in the National League are all like that. Packed with big units who play a long ball game. It is what you have to do to get out of that division apparently.

There were a couple of other Albion-familiar names - Shamir Fenelon I think was coming back from injury for Horsham. And another lad.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
More or less, but this does include pre season to be fair, I work up in London so I usually try to catch one on my days in the office, Mondays, Thursdays and Friday are the days which are usually difficult to find games on, but a couple of ground sharing teams in the Isthmian usually provide a Wednesday and Sunday game. For some strange reason I decided on the 1st game of the season to try and get to 100 games, I think mainly because I missed football so much over lockdown. I tend to talk to a lot of random people so usually end up going along to different games with people I know (for example Torquay and Swindon Town away ends this week at Havant and Sutton).

Do you have a preferred level of football to watch ? What makes a good non-league experience for you ?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Do you have a preferred level of football to watch ? What makes a good non-league experience for you ?

I don’t mind I’ll watch anything really, for me this season the Isthmian premier league has been the best, there’s some really top quality sides really battling it out. I want there to be goals really, and with 5 or 6 teams who are very attacking in that league and at the same time very leaky at the back which leads to some great contests. A really nice setting (like Lewes for example) certainly helps, the beer selection and surroundings makes it a good day out usually. The national League is also very decent, having a good mate who’s a Torquay fan has meant I’ve seen a lot of their games, which have always been exciting if not in favour of Torquay. To tell you the truth I’ll watch anything really, at the beginning of July I had some bad mental health as well, and I found the worries that I had disappeared when I was watching football, so that certainly incentivised it. I’ve watched from Tier 10 to the premier league this season at 36 different grounds and I’ve loved it all.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I watched the match. I saw Rohan a few times at Lancing - including his first match. He came as a centre-back I believe but was good at carrying the ball, and he could get around the pitch and played in the middle. At the time every club was looking for a Yaya and he looked promising. I can't remember why it didn't work out for us - other than the obvious. He did some good things at the Cup game, but not much to stand out. To be honest Woking are a long ball team so it was launched more often than not to the big centre-forward. I suspect he has found his level.

After the game I was chatting with one of the Horsham players and he said that the teams in the National League are all like that. Packed with big units who play a long ball game. It is what you have to do to get out of that division apparently.

There were a couple of other Albion-familiar names - Shamir Fenelon I think was coming back from injury for Horsham. And another lad.

Ince had some legal troubles that he was eventually cleared of and whilst he was going through that his father passed away. He’d already fallen behind Kayal, Sidwell & Stephens as they were all better suited to playing in a midfield two (and just better in general if we’re honest). As we saw with Shane Duffy losing a parent can see a player fall apart - sadly for Rohan his contract was running out when he went though it.

I think he gets a bit of a raw deal on here though, it’s easy to forget just how good he was for us under Garcia despite not being a central midfielder when he came to us. He was one of the few positives under SH and was pretty good under Hughton at first too. Unfortunately for him the switch to a midfield 4 rather than a midfield 3 didn’t suit him at all. I’ll still never forget him for that goal against Swindon or for completely owning Alexis Sanchez in the FA Cup - he put in 3 or 4 massive tackles that day and looked every bit a Prem player in waiting.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Worthing lead Lewes 3-2 at half-time having conceded an early two goal lead. A penalty a piece and some desperately poor refereeing. This is unlikely to finish 11 a side.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Worthing 0-2 Lewes became 5-2 before the referee gave another soft penalty - handball given at point blank range when the defender's arms were tucked into his side. An absolute screamer made it 5-4 which, despite a spate of excellent chances for either side, would be the final score

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
+1 for Worthing v Lewes. Just a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours. We'll done everyone.

That Ollie Tanner goal at the end was just something else

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here