Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Nigels limp on to 8200 season ticket sales!

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
What a massive club Palace are selling all those season tickets. They are having a last final push to see if they can reach 10000. Mugs. :falmer:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For this season we had about 4,000 :shrug:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed. 8200 isn't bad at all for a club who have spent the last two seasons around the bottom of the league. Lets see what we get if we're in that position in 3 or 4 years time.
Ageed. Not something to laugh it, IMO.

On the positive side, at least the OP refers to them as The Nigels, which is a far better and more appropriate put-down than this pikey/caravan nonsense which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsover.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree that we shouldn't be laughing at this - it is only the start of June too remember - a lot of season tickets will surely be bought in the next month or 2. However, comparing our 4k at Withers to this is not right either - although shitehurst is awful, it's still a proper stadium.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ageed. Not something to laugh it, IMO.

On the positive side, at least the OP refers to them as The Nigels, which is a far better and more appropriate put-down than this pikey/caravan nonsense which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsover.

Why Nigels ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I've never quite "got" the pikey thing myself either. Glad its not just me then.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why Nigels ?
Because Crystal Palace and the area surrounding it is boring suburbia, desperately pretending to be London.

Calling them pikeys just sounds desperate and unimaginative as there is nothing remotely more pikey about Palace than any other club. The only pikeys are Gillingham, which is why all the garden in the slums surrounding Priestfield are full of old fridges.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Because Crystal Palace and the area surrounding it is boring suburbia, desperately pretending to be London.

Calling them pikeys just sounds desperate and unimaginative as there is nothing remotely more pikey about Palace than any other club. The only pikeys are Gillingham, which is why all the garden in the slums surrounding Priestfield are full of old fridges.
Think you will find it's a reference to Nigel from Eastenders.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Palace's support comes from Sarf London on one side, and suburban Surrey on the other.

'Stripey Nigels' is the choice of insult thrown at them by Millwall ( an inner city club) and therefore suited to the Surrey based supporters, and Pikey seems very apt to the Sarf Londoners slum dwellers who live on the other side of the tracks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
10,000 will be a fairly decent number. Particularly as they have a relatively large capacity meaning that tickets will be freely available throughout the season without having to commit to £400+. I'd be pleased with a similar sort of figure if we are an established championship side, once the initial excitement has subsided.

Paying by installments has been a godsend. We are lucky to be in a position to do that. Whether that will be a permanent fixture remains to be seen.

They, along with many other fans, sneered at us for poor attendances over the years. Remember we have not been filling Withdean for much of our stay.

Sent from a (Samsung) Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
10,000 will be a fairly decent number. Particularly as they have a relatively large capacity meaning that tickets will be freely available throughout the season without having to commit to £400+. I'd be pleased with a similar sort of figure if we are an established championship side, once the initial excitement has subsided.

Paying by installments has been a godsend. We are lucky to be in a position to do that. Whether that will be a permanent fixture remains to be seen.

They, along with many other fans, sneered at us for poor attendances over the years. Remember we have not been filling Withdean for much of our stay.

Sent from a (Samsung) Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Pretty much nailed it with that post. If we had a larger capacity i wouldn't bother with a season ticket myself.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Everyone knows that all Albion fans are of vastly superior intelligence, style, and taste to the ignorant proles who follow other clubs.

The very idea that any of our supporters might actually come from Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb - or even that such dreadful places could possibly exist - is simply ridiculous.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
What a massive club Palace are selling all those season tickets. They are having a last final push to see if they can reach 10000. Mugs. :falmer:

You obviously believe that by selling all the ST's this season makes Albion a 'big' club, it doesn't, just look at the sales for last season.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Interesting about Nigels, I would have said that like ourselves they have a broad cross section of supporters. Some Palace fans are as right wing as HB&B but on the other hand there are some areas around Croydon that make Whitehawk look salubrious. To be honest you'll find plenty of Charlton and Millwall fans in that area not to mention all the plastic Chelsea fans. I've never quite worked out why people call them Pikeys though, there's not many caravans around Croydon. Fair number of derelict houses of course.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You obviously believe that by selling all the ST's this season makes Albion a 'big' club, it doesn't, just look at the sales for last season.

Well 'big' as in bigger that you yes, mind you in theory you're 'bigger' than Orient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here