Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The new striker..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Llorente from Athletic Bilbao seems unsettled. Maybe David Lopez could put in a good word for us!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Danny Graham wont be leaving Swansea and Morrison wont be leaving Norwich. Both played for their sides in the last week and are key squad players. No-one mentioning McGoldrick - seems to be not wanted by Forest and scoring for fun at Coventry?

I was encouraged to see us playing 2 strikers closer together yesterday. By the end of January we might be plaging the same way but with completely different personnel.

As an aside I heard a rumour that Stoke have expressed an interest in Bruno..... comes from a Stoke fan but has no insider knowledge as far as I know but as usual he claims that it comes from a good sourcew

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Who ever we sign will not bed in in time to make a marked difference , Gus f***ed up and we will lose players in the summer .Not the end of the world or the club, but never the less a fact

Wasn't the case when Roberts joined Reading in January.

Feb 14, 2010
There is a small club up the road who survive on 12000 paying punters who have got a bloke called Glen Murray who is banging in the goals. Great touch and intelligent footballer as well. Would fit in nicely..oh.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Gus won't bring in anyone with a big ego or anyone to detract attention away from himself. Which is a shame, because all the best players, especially strikers have attitude, which lets be honest, fans love if he is on your side.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It's getting to that time again, Gus has said he will get a striker if he fits our style.

Realistically, who would you like us to sign.

Conor Wickham. Like a better version of Chris Wood. Both Sheff Wed and Ipswich have tried to loan him back of Sunderland in recent weeks and so far O'Neill has resisted. But he might take a different view in January- especially if it's playing in a side that plays a high-quality technical style to help his development.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
We can all sit here and guess as to who we think Gus should bring in but all the ones that have been suggested more than likely won't happen. IMO, whoever Gus does bring in will either make or break him with the supporters. He'll either bring in someone who will bang in the goals and hopefully see us up and everyone will love him OR, someone who can't score for shit and everyone get on Gus' back which could end up seeing him leave the Albion.

This is going to be Gus' make or break January.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Right Roberts isn't going to happen. Charlie Austin you are having a laugh he is going to cost about three times what we can afford and to be fair why would he go anywhere in the champoinship? Macheda is absolute rubbish and when at QPR couldn't be arsed they got pissed off with him.

Chris wood makes sense but like already posted would he want to come to us, as does Cameron Jerome at Stoke. Guess Gus will find a spainish bloke in his 30s to fit the bill!! Least no one has mentioned Micheal Owen!!!!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Having watched body language yesterday, I wonder if Gus is losing the dressing room. Don't know if Bridcutt was injured, but he blanked Gus and went straight down the tunnel. Dobbie looks totally pissed off, either when pulled off or on the bench.
All this talk about a striker coming in makes me wonder if we might struggle to get someone keen enough to play for us. If we're talking Championship, we've played everyone now, players do talk to each other, has anyone from elsewhere thought 'yeah I'd like to go to Brighton, get starved of the ball' etc......we do not play to a striker's strengths, it's as easy as that.
I counted four gilt edged chances from Hoskins that went begging yesterday, but all I hear is 'he knocked 'em in for Bristol Rovers....'
Slightly off subject, I also fear Greer's time may be up. His distribution yesterday was dire, progressively worsened all season.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Its not up to Millwall its up to West Brom and Chris Wood to decide where he goes.

Do you think the Baggies would turn down a bid of a million or more from Millwall? They don't seem that bothered about keeping him and can't see him ever making their 1st team. I think players have less and less say where they end up these days, especially If the parent club want to sell and the agent negotiates a good deal for the player.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Chris Wood.
Realistic, knows Gus and is a better striker now than when he left us 2 seasons ago.
Big and strong and still only 21

Agreed. I can't see us spending any money though

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Conor Wickham. Like a better version of Chris Wood. Both Sheff Wed and Ipswich have tried to loan him back of Sunderland in recent weeks and so far O'Neill has resisted. But he might take a different view in January- especially if it's playing in a side that plays a high-quality technical style to help his development.

No, Wickham is finally getting his chance and showing his worth; not before time. The fickle fans (we all have them), who were writing the lad off without giving him a chance, are now looking forward to seeing him play an important part in our battle for survival.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Many on here have been fans of big Cox, what's he up to these days?

edit - looks like he signed for Forest :( Not got a very good strike rate either so guess pass on that one!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dobbie in part exchange for Charlie Austin (value £2.2 million)? I don't think it will happen though. He is good, but I am not sure he is exactly what we want.

Leicester are likely to be in the market for a striker as well. Even though they could get Beckford back.

It is clear to me that Macca can play deeper and all we need is someone to finish of the chances that Hoskins missed.

Daryl Murphy (Ipswich) would be a temporary expedient. He is too old to provide the answer.

Whatever happens, players with first team squad numbers will leave to pay the wages for a new striker. Ideally, the striker will be six foot plus, can head the ball, fast enough not to be left behind by the rest of the team, and left-footed (Austin is right-footed but he can kick with his left and does so quite often from hearsay.)

Unfortunately, Glen Murray seems to be the best striker for the next three years in the Championship. I think it would be best of we got someone younger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here