Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most disappointing tourist attractions

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Disneyland. its just dozens of long (half hour at least) queues to get on uninteresting rides, surrounded by dozens of food vendors also with queues. as a 11 yo i was bored. the evening parade perfomance makes up for it a bit. Epcot Centre next door was fantastic though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When I was in Tokyo we spent ages trying to find the Godzilla statue, when we eventually found it it was a lot smaller than we were expecting :(

godzilla_statue.jpg.w560h420.jpg

:lolol: That must have been crushing.

Never heard of the statue but I must admit I was expecting it to be bigger.

My equivalent to that would be the concrete cows in Milton Keynes (I appreciate they're probably not strictly a tourist attraction). On our previous trip up there for the Albion game we thought it would be a laugh to go and find the cows, seeing as they're supposed to be such a symbol of the town. They're all tiny, and mostly broken. Utterly rubbish

:lolol:

n786656634_2241567_7674929.jpg

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
093215_e043ee2b.jpg

On a more serious note I was really disappointed with the Sydney Opera House I did not go inside so maybe I'm missing out but from the outside it just looked like a dirty Millenium Dome.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1560572/Eiffel-Tower-most-disappointing-tourist-spot.html

The sights voted most disappointing around the world were:

1) The Eiffel Tower
2) The Louvre (Mona Lisa)
3) Times Square
4) Las Ramblas, Spain
5) Statue of Liberty
6) Spanish Steps, Rome
7) The White House
8) The Pyramids, Egypt
9) The Brandenburg Gate, Germany
10) The Leaning Tower of Pisa

The sights voted most disappointing in the UK were:

1) Stonehenge
2) The Angel of the North
3) Blackpool Tower
4) Lands' End
5) The Princess Diana Memorial Fountain
6) The London Eye
7) Brighton Pier
8) Buckingham Palace
9) The White Cliffs of Dover
10) Big Ben.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great picture on the MK cows, by the way.

I'd agree with Madame Tussauds (overpriced AND crap), and the pint-sized Mona Lisa is a bit underwhelming in real life, you'd need a telescope to see if it's an enigmatic smile or not.

Further afield, the Bridge on the River Kwai. Pathetic, and nothing like the film.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Think it has to be Newhaven Fort. I remember as a kid listening to the stories frommy grandad and imagining all the tunnels in my head. I inevneted stories and couldnt wait until it got all opened up... and then when it was ( think I was bout 17?) it was DULL!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Whether you were a kid (at which point in life you haven't been exposed to the harsh realities of regular disappointment and thus feel the pain so much more) or as an adult, which is the most underwhelming so-called tourist attraction you've been to?

I can remember being a child and watching (on John Craven's Newsround, natch) breathlessly excited presenters reporting on location from the coast off Portsmouth about the impending rise to the surface of King Henry VIII's favourite warship, the Mary Rose, lost to the nation for hundreds of years.

Then I got taken down to see it, and discovered it was essentially a few hundred rotting planks of wood nailed together inside a damp marquee. Brilliant.

I think this blatant con trick may well have tarnished forever my view of Portsmouth as a city, even if HMS Victory later went some way towards assuaging the boredom.

Any others?
:lolol:

Bloody snap! I remember even our class watching it come up live on telly at school.

Do you remember all the pictures of how it had looked? Thats how we thought it would look when it came up.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Eiffel Tower doesn't deserve to be on the list imho. France is fab Badger.
Yes it does. Notre Dame and the Pompidou Centre are great though, but I did find those by accident on my first trip to Gay Paree.

I think if you go to a place which you've already seen thousands of times in the cinema and on TV you're almost bound to be disappointed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Black Gang Chine IOW

I can remember it being great when I was a kid but went there again three years ago and most of it has fallen into the sea now

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yes it does.

In your humble. For me an incredible feat of engineering.

Mount Rushmore - travelled miles into the middle of South Dakota to check out the 'North By Northwest' location only to find the figureheads were about the size of my testicles. The film lied to me, lied dammit!!!

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Yes it does. Notre Dame and the Pompidou Centre are great though, but I did find those by accident on my first trip to Gay Paree.

I think if you go to a place which you've already seen thousands of times in the cinema and on TV you're almost bound to be disappointed.

I really liked the Eithel Tower but I saw it at night and caught the light show but if I would of seen it in the day without the lights I think I would of been underwhelmed by it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bloody snap! I remember even our class watching it come up live on telly at school.

Do you remember all the pictures of how it had looked? Thats how we thought it would look when it came up.

Hell yes. I was expecting something a bit more....well...ship-like, in my childish innocence.

It was such a big deal on TV, I can still remember it came up in that big yellow cradle thing and they even made a massive drama out of the fact that something snapped on the way up and they nearly lost it back down again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here