Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most disappointing tourist attractions

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Waxworks Museum in Brading (Isle of Wight) is a bit of a letdown as well, although to be fair I think expectations were fairly low.

It does have ONE highlight though. In one of the rooms, you are invited to peer down into a dimly lit well. Without warning, a light suddenly comes on in the well, revealing a waxwork model of an emaciated youth climbing up a ladder on the inside, its gaunt, tortured face uncomfortably close to that of your own. Didn't do much for me, but my mum FLEW backwards in shock when it happened, and staggered into a working waxwork model of a 16th century blacksmith, breaking one of his legs.

That alone made the trip there from Ryde worthwhile, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
firle museum, when we asked the lady tour guide what was in there this was her exact reply "Some old bits of metal and some other crap". I could not fault her accuracy.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Mary Rose, although I suppose when I saw it I was too young to appreciate the salvage operation.

Blackpool - enjoyed the rides but once we left the pleasure beach we couldn't get out of there soon enough. Not good for a weekend break.

The sex museum in Amsterdam. To be honest, I'm not sure how much more I was expecting...

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
The Tutankhamun exhibition they had in the O2 a couple of years back, went with dad expecting to see the whole coffin and everything, we end up seeing a bloody hologram of it and some of the artifacts in the burial chamber (The closest thing was perhaps the diadem)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Blackpool is truly a grim, grim place. Avoid at all costs.

Personally, and I expect some opposition, I was hugely underwhelmed by NIAGRA FALLS.

NIAGRA - meh.

Grand Canyon - incredible.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The f*****g OK Corral - I travelled 500 miles to see it and all it was was a few feet of dust with a gate!..... where were Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas?......mind you Tombstone was well named, nothing had changed in 100+ years.....not surprised the "Crystal Palace" bar was a dump though:thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Would have to be the Manneken Pis in Brussels

Definitely. I thought it was going to be about 20 foot high.

I actually thought the Whitsundays in Oz were pretty over-rated as well.

Last edited:

wag chaser

Feb 18, 2009
The Waxworks Museum in Brading (Isle of Wight) is a bit of a letdown as well, although to be fair I think expectations were fairly low.

It does have ONE highlight though. In one of the rooms, you are invited to peer down into a dimly lit well. Without warning, a light suddenly comes on in the well, revealing a waxwork model of an emaciated youth climbing up a ladder on the inside, its gaunt, tortured face uncomfortably close to that of your own. Didn't do much for me, but my mum FLEW backwards in shock when it happened, and staggered into a working waxwork model of a 16th century blacksmith, breaking one of his legs.

That alone made the trip there from Ryde worthwhile, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I wont

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Blackpool is truly a grim, grim place. Avoid at all costs.

Personally, and I expect some opposition, I was hugely underwhelmed by NIAGRA FALLS.

NIAGRA - meh.

Grand Canyon - incredible.

The Falls themselves are amazing but the town is cheap and nasty.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Dont understand why people are putting Stonehenge.What did you expect to see when you went?

As for the Mary Rose,I thought it was very interesting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Falls themselves are amazing but the town is cheap and nasty.
The Falls are worth visiting but really aren't all that when compared to some of the great waterfalls around the world.

You're right about the town(s). The Canadian side is shithouse but incredibly the American side is even worse.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The f*****g OK Corral - I travelled 500 miles to see it and all it was was a few feet of dust with a gate!..... where were Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas?......mind you Tombstone was well named, nothing had changed in 100+ years.....not surprised the "Crystal Palace" bar was a dump though:thumbsup:
Thats well funny:laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here