Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Mail Woke List…..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Until there's a 'say no to racism', 'rainbow laces' or any kind of other 'woke' campaign that ruins the GAMEWEEK for fans :lol:

Don't forget female refs, pundits and commentators. All part of the plot by the global elites to emasculate society and bring down western democracy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Shirley, you're not suggesting that just because people got completely taken in by a few three word meaningless slogans, they would therefor be prime targets to be taken in by a four letter meaningless word ...... oh :laugh:
bAn thE wOkiES!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ban them and their ideas. They're impinging on our freedom of speech.
Yep. Next, they'll be cancelling people who try to cancel people :dunce:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In most Mail-type rants about anything "woke", you can normally substitute the word with "kind". That's really all it boils down to. People trying to be nice, compassionate, and fair-minded. Traits that seem to boil the piss of that malevolent, cynical, hatemongering rag.
Not always , there was an article the other day I noticed online. Was about a transgender woman demanding to use a ladies changing rooms . The transgender person started to get shouty when he was told he couldn’t . How is that kind . That’s just someone trying to use the ladies changing rooms when they should not be allowed to . It makes normal women feel vulnerable,

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Anyone that reads a daily newspaper or watches any news channel outlet,really does need to get a life

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not always , there was an article the other day I noticed online. Was about a transgender woman demanding to use a ladies changing rooms . The transgender person started to get shouty when he was told he couldn’t . How is that kind . That’s just someone trying to use the ladies changing rooms when they should not be allowed to . It makes normal women feel vulnerable,
Source?

I’m certain this type of thing could happen and maybe even does happen it’s just that I hear a lot about this kind of thing happening and I’ve yet to see much evidence for it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The thing is, LbtS, nobody's saying the transgender person is woke. But anybody empathising with her or rationalising the situation would be accused of wokery.

A lot of people would suggest those trying to show understanding, in what is a complex issue, are just being kind.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not getting many answers today. It’s almost as if people are making this stuff up.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Meritocracy refers to a system whereby success can be achieved in accordance with one's skills, talents and efforts. Thus, the theory goes, the best and brightest rise to the top and are justly rewarded.

Appealing to some, granted, if only we could find that elusive level playing field.

For me, it would still be a flawed ideology. As I suggested before, it legitimises inequality, reassuring and flattering those with success whilst shrugging its shoulders at the less fortunate.

I agree with what you say yes all of it. But to say in a meritocracy you have a shit job because you are shit is over simplistic. Firstly meritocracy is not perfect, class or wealth effects are the biggest distortion. Then there are other reasons like choice people may not go for the best job for preference, downsizing or downscaling are examples of that.

It is the least worst concept, as using immutable characteristics you are making a conscious decision to create losers, this is a recipe for violence or worse.

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
You told me on another thread that you can't assign labels to people if they don't self identify as such. Therefore, seeing as few of any call themselves woke, presumably you think it doesn't exist.

Well thats a weird one, woke 1 or 2 describes philosophies which may or may not be identities but they are not immutable. But more to the point I was talking about non-consensual labels. If you object to the term woke then what would you prefer to be described as given a set of beliefs and behaviours? And given the latter you are saying that behaviours cannot be described if the person objects?

As I said weird post modernist take. What "wokies" seem to object to is having their behaviours identified and called out from a perspective they do not share.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree with what you say yes all of it. But to say in a meritocracy you have a shit job because you are shit is over simplistic. Firstly meritocracy is not perfect, class or wealth effects are the biggest distortion. Then there are other reasons like choice people may not go for the best job for preference, downsizing or downscaling are examples of that.

It is the least worst concept, as using immutable characteristics you are making a conscious decision to create losers, this is a recipe for violence or worse.
Could you answer my question now?

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
chest-feeder.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s not a myth but it’s not perfect, judging and rewarding people on immutable characteristics will turn the UK into a kleptocracy. We can already see this in the young with so many identifying as non-binary. Inequality is a universal even in communist countries so a meritocratic liberal West is the only game in town.
How do you relate judging and rewarding immutable characteristics to kleptocracy and how do you involve non binary identity in this?

Any chance you could answer this one?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Finally, some common ground 😄

As the "least worst" system, surely we need to do something to improve it? But it seems some of those efforts to do so would be dismissed as wokeism.

When you say immutable characteristics, what exactly are you referring too?

It seems to me that societies such as the US and UK where merit is king produce more losers than those that have a more we're-all-in-this-together attitude. Certainly, social mobility is better for those born in Copenhagen or Calgary than their counterparts in LA and London.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Source?

I’m certain this type of thing could happen and maybe even does happen it’s just that I hear a lot about this kind of thing happening and I’ve yet to see much evidence for it.
Was in the mail couple of weeks ago . Not the first time , it’s happened several times that transgender people start to get annoyed when they don’t get what they think they should be entitled to. Except they are not , I’m with team JK Rowling in this one . Common sense must prevail .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here