Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Mail Woke List…..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The meritocracy is working perfectly. We have teachers and nurses choosing between heating and eating and the son of an emerald mine owner funing his own space travel project.

Both totally deserve what they have.

(Please throw me a crumb billionaires! We are on the

Those teachers and nurses just need to get off their backsides and work harder if they want to get on in life. If they try their best, maybe their dad will become an emerald mine owner.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
So we have gone from woke does not exist to woke does exist but its a good thing and any problems with it dont exist.

I suppose next will be yes the problems do exist but they a minor.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So we have gone from woke does not exist to woke does exist but its a good thing and any problems with it dont exist.

Can you answer my question, now you’re back.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Woke is such a broad term it has become meaningless. People use it to describe anything and everything. Depending on your definition of it it can be positive of negative, exist or not exist, have problems and no problems and they can be both major and minor.

It is the Schroeder Cat of moronic culture wars sayings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Woke is such a broad term it has become meaningless. People use it to describe anything and everything. Depending on your definition of it it can be positive of negative, exist or not exist, have problems and no problems and they can be both major and minor.

It is the Schroeder Cat of moronic culture wars sayings.
It is a 'useful' term in the Blame game. It's 'their' fault, not ours.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Those teachers and nurses just need to get off their backsides and work harder if they want to get on in life. If they try their best, maybe their dad will become an emerald mine owner.

Meritocracy refers to your skill set not what you earn, that is set by the supply of labour. You cant even grasp basic concepts.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In most Mail-type rants about anything "woke", you can normally substitute the word with "kind". That's really all it boils down to. People trying to be nice, compassionate, and fair-minded. Traits that seem to boil the piss of that malevolent, cynical, hatemongering rag.
Hmmm. Not sure I agree there. Some of the behaviour of some people who consider themselves “woke” is very unkind and intolerant. Repeated targeted “cancellation” campaigns against anyone whose views don’t 100% with their own are commonplace.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seeing as you don’t understand what a meritocracy is, I’m going to go right ahead and assume you just copied and pasted your post linking Kleptocracy to non-binary identification and you don’t actually know what it all means.

What a shambles you are turning out to be. Disappointing.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Meritocracy refers to your skill set not what you earn, that is set by the supply of labour. You cant even grasp basic concepts.

Meritocracy refers to a system whereby success can be achieved in accordance with one's skills, talents and efforts. Thus, the theory goes, the best and brightest rise to the top and are justly rewarded.

Appealing to some, granted, if only we could find that elusive level playing field.

For me, it would still be a flawed ideology. As I suggested before, it legitimises inequality, reassuring and flattering those with success whilst shrugging its shoulders at the less fortunate.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It appears that people on both 'sides' need to be outraged about something or other that the other 'side' has said or done these days. It's all pretty tedious, really.

Woke is such a bullshit meaningless term. People who throw it around like to think they know EXACTLY what it means (just like they (a lot/most of them) knew EXACTLY what Brexit they were voting for (yes, I went there), but in reality, it's just an excuse to have a go at people who are trying to move life and society on. People don't like change – we get that – but why 'anti-woke' people get all up in arms about stuff that doesn't really have any effect on their lives absolutely baffles me.

Take Costa Coffee and the people who have most recently been frothing at the gash all over social media. Firstly, why get upset about a cartoon? Secondly, if you're going to boycott the company, great. You do you – the size of that business (and the demographic) means that it probably won't take much of a hit – and no-one else really cares anyway. If you were even a customer in the first place, that is. Thirdly, what difference does it make to your daily life? How, specifically, will a trans cartoon be detrimental to how you go about your day? Are your eyes offended by what you see?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hmmm. Not sure I agree there. Some of the behaviour of some people who consider themselves “woke” is very unkind and intolerant. Repeated targeted “cancellation” campaigns against anyone whose views don’t 100% with their own are commonplace.
Fair points. Can't disagree.

(Only one minor niggle, which is that very few people talk about themselves as being "woke". As others have said, it's a rather meaningless tabloid culture-war buzzword and more often used as a term of ridicule.)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

You told me on another thread that you can't assign labels to people if they don't self identify as such. Therefore, seeing as few of any call themselves woke, presumably you think it doesn't exist.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
At least the footy season kicks off soon. It will make a change from the ‘Woke’ versus ‘The Rest’ kicking off all over NSC.😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At least the footy season kicks off soon. It will make a change from the ‘Woke’ versus ‘The Rest’ kicking off all over NSC.😊
Until there's a 'say no to racism', 'rainbow laces' or any kind of other 'woke' campaign that ruins the GAMEWEEK for fans :lol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It appears that people on both 'sides' need to be outraged about something or other that the other 'side' has said or done these days. It's all pretty tedious, really.

Woke is such a bullshit meaningless term. People who throw it around like to think they know EXACTLY what it means (just like they (a lot/most of them) knew EXACTLY what Brexit they were voting for (yes, I went there), but in reality, it's just an excuse to have a go at people who are trying to move life and society on. People don't like change – we get that – but why 'anti-woke' people get all up in arms about stuff that doesn't really have any effect on their lives absolutely baffles me.

Take Costa Coffee and the people who have most recently been frothing at the gash all over social media. Firstly, why get upset about a cartoon? Secondly, if you're going to boycott the company, great. You do you – the size of that business (and the demographic) means that it probably won't take much of a hit – and no-one else really cares anyway. If you were even a customer in the first place, that is. Thirdly, what difference does it make to your daily life? How, specifically, will a trans cartoon be detrimental to how you go about your day? Are your eyes offended by what you see?

Shirley, you're not suggesting that just because people got completely taken in by a few three word meaningless slogans, they would therefor be prime targets to be taken in by a four letter meaningless word ...... oh

As I understand it, Tufton Street are currently working on a meaningless symbol that can be blamed for all Britain's current problems :laugh:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here