Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You were lucky to be so near the front. We were in the stalls but our view was excellent and still felt very much part of the show. I find Warren Ellis to be more entertaining than Cave and that’s saying something. He is so talented instrumentally and when he sings it’s just sublime. Glad you enjoyed yourself- The Ship Song was also on the original set list and disapointed it didn’t get played. No peaky blinders references on the Friday So that must have been a one off.
I was there 20 minutes before the doors opened, that's how I got to the front...

And The Ship Song is also what Mrs T and I consider "our song". But she wasn't with me on this occasion, so maybe that's why they didn't play it...

By chance of tour timing, at 41 years and counting the Bad Seeds were 'merely' the 3rd longest-running band I saw in the last 10 days.

I also saw Einstürzende Neubauten (44 years) last Tuesday, and The Ex (45 years) a few days before that. Both were also excellent.

That's 130 years of combined musical legacy between them. Dry Cleaning have a way to go yet...

Last edited:

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
TheThe at the Brixton Academy last night...

No surprise he was brilliant...What did surprise me a bit was the first set, which was the new album in full, was better than the remarkable hits package that comprised the second half....

Maybe Matts voice as he's getting on suits the new stuff better...Certainly no complains from any of the 2 1/2 hour gig

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just to expand slightly on this I would say it's the most fun I've had at a gig in years. An absolute VIBE. Excellent musicians and a proper emphasis on crowd involvement without any corniness. Loved it. Can't recommend catching them live if you get the chance.
Did you ever get the chance to see Sons of Kemet? I suspect there are overlaps with Ezra Collective, who I'm yet to see (was too slow to get a ticket for this gig: they went very quickly).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Did you ever get the chance to see Sons of Kemet? I suspect there are overlaps with Ezra Collective, who I'm yet to see (was too slow to get a ticket for this gig: they went very quickly).
I did not, but will make sure to if they decide to reform. I've had a blind spot where jazz in concerned until recently.

Slightly different atmosphere incoming this Friday with Orlando Weeks at St George's Church, which should be...nice.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I did not, but will make sure to if they decide to reform. I've had a blind spot where jazz in concerned until recently.

Slightly different atmosphere incoming this Friday with Orlando Weeks at St George's Church, which should be...nice.
I had a blind spot on jazz until I was about 40, and don't like an awful lot of it. The London jazz scene is what's brought me to it, although I had an earlier introduction by seeing Peter Brotzmann at All Tomorrow's Parties, curated by Thurston Moore in c2006 -- who blew everyone else away.
Shabaka -- the key figure in SoK -- has changed direction, ditched the saxophone and now just investigates flutes, which has led to a change of style and being less danceable. Theon Cross used to be the tuba player in SoK, and is worth seeing live, and I'd really recommend Binker & Moses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a blind spot on jazz until I was about 40, and don't like an awful lot of it. The London jazz scene is what's brought me to it, although I had an earlier introduction by seeing Peter Brotzmann at All Tomorrow's Parties, curated by Thurston Moore in c2006 -- who blew everyone else away.
Shabaka -- the key figure in SoK -- has changed direction, ditched the saxophone and now just investigates flutes, which has led to a change of style and being less danceable. Theon Cross used to be the tuba player in SoK, and is worth seeing live, and I'd really recommend Binker & Moses.
All of this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
TheThe at the Brixton Academy last night...

No surprise he was brilliant...What did surprise me a bit was the first set, which was the new album in full, was better than the remarkable hits package that comprised the second half.
Maybe Matts voice as he's getting on suits the new stuff better...Certainly no complains from any of the 2 1/2 hour gig
Out of interest how much were the tickets in London? We paid 80 euros which we baulked at originally…..then came away thinking it was money well spent. I went to see them on a Tuesday, I was still rambling on about it on the Saturday….that’s how good it was.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Out of interest how much were the tickets in London? We paid 80 euros which we baulked at originally…..then came away thinking it was money well spent. I went to see them on a Tuesday, I was still rambling on about it on the Saturday….that’s how good it was.
I can't remember offhand, around £50 I guess...

Brilliant value when you think some gigs at the Komedia and Concorde 2 are north of £40 these days...

I saw the bloke from The Thompson Twins a few years ago at the Concorde 2 , £30 for about 45 mins of a not very good gig tbh

papachris

Probably a band none of you have heard of, but since moving to Estonia about 4 years ago I've grown to love '2 quick start'. A 90's band essentially still releasing new music.
Great lead singer with a big band behind him.
Seen them perform live several times and it just gets you dancing or following the words

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Probably a band none of you have heard of, but since moving to Estonia about 4 years ago I've grown to love '2 quick start'. A 90's band essentially still releasing new music.
Great lead singer with a big band behind him.
Seen them perform live several times and it just gets you dancing or following the words
The only Estonian band I know are Ruffus (formerly Claire’s Birthday) who did Eurovision back in the day and came close to bottom.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crack Cloud were superb last night at Chalk, new stuff sounded really good live.
Totally agree. I saw them a few weeks ago, dude on sax got the place rocking. Excellent band.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Totally agree. I saw them a few weeks ago, dude on sax got the place rocking. Excellent band.
They we’re great and yep the sax guy was absolute quality. Out of the six he was the only non vocalist during the evening, however his contribution was incredible. We were treated to a Mexican support act which was one guy playing acoustically on his own. He had an amazing voice and called himself Clothing! He has an album out next yea. Then an hour and a bit of Crack Cloud. Lots from the new album and a few older songs. Audience at the front of stage were clearly enjoying themselves and quite lively during the more dance orientated songs. Overall it was very good We especially enjoyed the contribution of the girl on keyboard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here