Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to see Scylla at the Rose Hill Tavern on Friday. They were great. Experimental. Am a big fan of Ruth Goller, and this is a vehicle for Ruth to explore what sounds can be conjured up with a bass and lots of pedals. Backed up by some haunting vocals, and a brilliant drummer.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Not liking this one little bit, especially as I'm going to be probably the oldest single male in the history of the world going to see Confidence Man in about two weeks time :down:

Not a great look is it?

But, as an old git who who goes to a fair few gigs, I do sometimes feel a bit sorry for muscling in on kids' gigs.

Some acts are definitely best viewed at festivals...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not liking this one little bit, especially as I'm going to be probably the oldest single male in the history of the world going to see Confidence Man in about two weeks time :down:

I’m going to Confidence Man for probably the fourth time. I’m not really a fan of their music but they are great entertainment. I’m 59 and will have my wife with me so I’ll let her fend off any questioning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hopefully you’ll get along at some point. Ive got tickets for the end of October and tempted by the Birmingham November date.
Thanks. I'm looking at options. We decided against going originally...then the Frau got a guest list from a mutual friend....who is now just her friend. She spoke more about the gig last night and she said he played the Grinderman track Palaces of Montsuma (sp?) which is a wonderful song.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Saw Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds on Friday. If anyone has tickets for any tour date then you’re in for a huge treat. Dry Cleaning were in support. I’ve seen them play in many different sized venues but this would be the largest. They managed to hold their own, playing a few new tracks plus favourites Scratch Card Lanyard and Gary Ashby. Fantastic guitar playing as always but slightly lost on the larger stage and the reduced P.A.
After a half hour break it was the main event. Most of the songs you would want to hear were present, punctuated throughout the set by every song from the amazing new album. Highlights were a cracking Red Right Hand and a beautiful rendition of I Need You which had a slightly different ending to the version on Skeleton Tree. No one dared utter a word as this particular one was played. The show had so much energy with Cave almost snarling the lyrics as he sang- but in a good way. Two and a half hours is pretty impressive for a 67 year old. Long may it continue.

View attachment 189595
I was at the same venue on the Thursday night, down on the barrier slightly to the right of Warren from this angle, so I got to stare close up at the great man's knees a few times when he was up on the 'catwalk'. I love Dry Cleaning and thought they were 'good, not great' this time, as the hall was too big for them They were 'politely' rather than enthusiastically received.

One notable (positive) difference between this and the last time I saw Nick (Best Kept Secret festival, 2022), is that he appears to be through his mourning period and has got his full mojo back. Classics like From Her to Eternity that were slowed and toned down to a sombre degree back then have been ramped back up and belted out to their full-on intensity, which is bloody good news in my books. Wild God the song played live is going to be a cathartic classic for the ages to rank alongside Jubilee Street, Eternity, Tupelo and so on.

Not sure if it was a gimmick and he pulled the same trick on the Friday, or whether it was genuine, but as the Red Right Hand intro started up he went 'F**k I've forgotten the song - I haven't watched Peaky Blinders in years...", and they went through the intro a few extra times before he joined in...

Only disappointment was that I'd seen on the setlist (on setlist.fm) from the opening night of the tour last Tuesday in Germany that they played one of my all-time favourites Straight To You for the first time in many many years. Unfortunately they didn't play it on Thursday...

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'm going to one of the Hammersmith gigs in a couple of weeks. Expect to be one of the oldest in the room at the ripe old age of 30.

Utterly bizarre bit of security management going on in Lincoln.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

When I went and saw Pavement they coralled all the sad lonely men into one area, but they had to stop when they realised they'd rounded up every single person.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thanks. I'm looking at options. We decided against going originally...then the Frau got a guest list from a mutual friend....who is now just her friend. She spoke more about the gig last night and she said he played the Grinderman track Palaces of Montsuma (sp?) which is a wonderful song.
Well as someone who was there for the infamous King Alfred Warm Up Show I think it’s your duty………

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was at the same venue on the Thursday night, down on the barrier slightly to the right of Warren from this angle, so I got to stare close up at the great man's knees a few times when he was up on the 'catwalk'. I love Dry Cleaning and thought they were 'good, not great' this time, as the hall was too big for them They were 'politely' rather than enthusiastically received.

One notable (positive) difference between this and the last time I saw Nick (Best Kept Secret festival, 2022), is that he appears to be through his mourning period and has got his full mojo back. Classics like From Her to Eternity that were slowed and toned down to a sombre degree back then have been ramped back up and belted out to their full-on intensity, which is bloody good news in my books. Wild God the song played live is going to be a cathartic classic for the ages to rank alongside Jubilee Street, Eternity, Tupelo and so on.

Not sure if it was a gimmick and he pulled the same trick on the Friday, or whether it was genuine, but as the Red Right Hand intro started up he went 'F**k I've forgotten the song - I haven't watched Peaky Blinders in years...", and they went through the intro a few extra times before he joined in...

Only disappointment was that I'd seen on the setlist (on setlist.fm) from the opening night of the tour last Tuesday in Germany that they played one of my all-time favourites Straight To You for the first time in many many years. Unfortunately they didn't play it on Thursday...
You were lucky to be so near the front. We were in the stalls but our view was excellent and still felt very much part of the show. I find Warren Ellis to be more entertaining than Cave and that’s saying something. He is so talented instrumentally and when he sings it’s just sublime. Glad you enjoyed yourself- The Ship Song was also on the original set list and disapointed it didn’t get played. No peaky blinders references on the Friday So that must have been a one off.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You were lucky to be so near the front. We were in the stalls but our view was excellent and still felt very much part of the show. I find Warren Ellis to be more entertaining than Cave and that’s saying something. He is so talented instrumentally and when he sings it’s just sublime. Glad you enjoyed yourself- The Ship Song was also on the original set list and disapointed it didn’t get played. No peaky blinders references on the Friday So that must have been a one off.
I so love this song. As an aside, we only had one song at our wedding...when the deed was done and we were husband and wife Nature Boy played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here